Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 pm

jordancoles wrote:I assume we can still teleport with a sled overhead, so it isn't the end of the world

Indeed you can.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby VDZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Ag_Revol wrote:Losing locality means:
* Whoever has the most people spread over the world / has the strongest character - wins by default because they can just whip-whoop around the world wherever they are needed,
* Small markets have no use because you can just use the best one available and it's hard for smaller factions to compete. Nearly impossible.

This is already the case in the current situation. You'd need to enforce locality in even stricter manners to do anything about this, and even then I think #1 will always remain.

Ag_Revol wrote:* Continents are losing their purpose.

Continents have different biomes and are still relevant for Knarr/Snekkja travel. This will always be the case even if people could teleport to any charter stone even without a TW cost. (Big factions can already go anywhere, smaller groups can't build multiple charter stones.)

SnuggleSnail wrote:
jorb wrote:
Pickard wrote:Remove visit before use requirement. It is at the very least a dumb.

Why? Must the game really lack any and all sense of locality? Is having to visit the places you want to zap to really too much to ask?

Unironically yes. 70% of the combat I've participated in the last 6 months wouldn't have happened if my willagers had to walk to the charters on the other side of the world near whatever interesting thing is happening.

I think most people straight up want CR/Vidol hearth levels of teleporting, or, at least the autists do

As a middle ground: items discovered by player A but not player B can be described to player B by player A, or player A could write a Material Account which somehow makes its way to player B. If we could describe charterstones or write 'Location Accounts' to confer this knowledge to other players, it would still require the first player to visit the charterstone (or for a player near the charterstone to travel to the player), and after that only players in contact with the player (or with a player in contact with that player, etc) have access to that charter stone. Combined with the current Travel Weariness mechanic, it would still make far-away locations much harder to access while eliminating the tedium.
VDZ

Postby MrM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Ag_Revol wrote:Here we should agree to disagree. In my opinion, continents are probably one of the best things to happen with HnH. Sure they aren't perfect and have a lot to be reconsidered/fixed, but as a concept, they greatly benefit the game as I see it. (Apart from this world, tbh, most continents are just dead resource dumpsters). And HnH isn't solely a social game, it's also a game that gets a decent share of fun from politics, outlaws, and random encounters in the world. It's not some weird farming game where you customize your local carrot farm with the ability for your friends to visit your "cool farm" with one click, world geography is important

I agree. There is a lot to like about continents on many different levels. Botting, having everything in a reach with just one click and quality grinding are the elements killing the fun.

I personally enjoy variety. If you like war, drama and overcrowded area - stay on the battlefield continent. You want some peaceful larping? - find yourself a distant continent or an island. It would be also nice to see different continents providing different resources forcing trade and wars.

Not to mention it's a nice larpy feeling to have some kind of additional identity too. Like, imagine coming to a new continent and saying you're from Snailonia and then culturally affecting others so they all pave snails and paint snails in their flags. Kinda cool.
MrM

Postby azrid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:33 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
jorb wrote:You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

Can you at least make it so you can inherit your charter stone memo's? Travelling after forageables are useful is incredibly boring and is usually just done without looking at the game.

this idea needs more support
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 pm

azrid wrote:
Pickard wrote:
azrid wrote:army of crime alts

Its nothing more than a horror stories for children.

You are absolutely clueless about how people play haven.

Hey, dumb question: what do people actually do with the army of crime alts they teleport near your base?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby talon00302 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:18 am

Updated bandy window when :)
talon00302

Postby Fostik » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:30 am

Congrats with 420, Talon
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:38 am

You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

My favorite part of this patch.

Van wrote:
jorb wrote:You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

Hmmm... Is there another way to get someone who has never been to one's village, to said village's charter stone?

Yes... You can *gasp* TRAVEL THERE.

Because it is at the very least a dumb exploit. If you want changes to charter stones, argue for those proper.

The new souls searching
For safe islands in the Hearth
Want charters restored
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

My favorite part of this patch.

Van wrote:

Hmmm... Is there another way to get someone who has never been to one's village, to said village's charter stone?

Yes... You can *gasp* TRAVEL THERE.

Because it is at the very least a dumb exploit. If you want changes to charter stones, argue for those proper.

The new souls searching
For safe islands in the Hearth
Want charters restored

how many hours a week do you play and actively travel in game.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 am

wonder-ass wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:How many hours a week do you play and actively travel in-game.

A significant amount in the early days of the game. But you make my point for me. Locality requires that distant travel is inconvenient, that it makes more sense to remain in the area around your home/base than to travel to distant lands. Making it quick and easy means that traveling anywhere on the map becomes relatively trivial, and distance between areas ceases to matter. This, in turn, makes local resources relatively meaningless.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements