Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:05 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:How many hours a week do you play and actively travel in-game.

A significant amount in the early days of the game. But you make my point for me. Locality requires that distant travel is inconvenient, that it makes more sense to remain in the area around your home/base than to travel to distant lands. Making it quick and easy means that traveling anywhere on the map becomes relatively trivial, and distance between areas ceases to matter. This, in turn, makes local resources relatively meaningless.

I bet I've quadrupled how much you've traveled in total. Locality kills the game quicker than anything else, especially a map 200k minimaps big with an average pop of 200.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 am

talon00302 wrote:Updated bandy window when :)

Updated in what way?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby iamahh » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:07 am

maybe there's a way to make the minimap's level of detail proportional to the time spent by the char in the region

not trivial, but ya never know...
iamahh

Postby Zyean » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 am

Maybe there could be a summoning hearth magic? Or an addition for kingdoms to be able to summon people to the charter that the kingdom is located in via an auth cost?

I don't necessarily think either of these is necessary if the map was smaller, west continent really has no business being as big as it is for example.

I kinda feel like there should be ~3 continents, and then just a bunch of small islands with maybe 1-3 localized resources on them, makes it possible for hermits to play singleplayer if they want and for more fights to happen on continents
Zyean

Postby talon00302 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:43 am

loftar wrote:

Updated in what way?

Confirmation window so it's not people just running loot scripts to steal items as soon as you put yours in.
talon00302

Postby ctopolon4 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:37 am

jorb wrote:[*]Kicksled
Enjoy!

no more TAXI service :cry:
if 1 of your party dont know charter or if 1 dont have enough will = party goes by foot :cry:
visit every charter after death by foot :cry:

how about add natural charters as checkpoints for travelers? or we should spam alt.char villages for this?

how about fix wagon station? (no visiter if you steal wagon)
how about fix kicksled ability to ignore visiter buf for trespass for passengers? (transfer chars into houses and minehole after visitor's gates)

how about fix alt.char abuse for every thing (scouting (eyes24\7), offline keep, gathering rare resources, alchemy tests, wax gathering, botting, cachalot hunting) [make here abit more requiriments for this shit, normal players will not cry] [ how about summon beacon cost 1RockCry+ 3kEXP? and you have to DeepArtifice +3kEXP to gather RockCry?] [stat check when fueling, harvesting, move\slice cheese] [5kEXP magic to leave your body and scout like a soul]
[reduce stamina consumption for everything to not press drink button all time, and dont spam alts to save food or hp, dont provoke players to alts.spam, make alts.spam harder & useless] [only god can be everywhere]
Last edited by ctopolon4 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctopolon4

Postby hushpuppi3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 am

People seem to overestimate how many people bother to complain about 'locality' when in reality there are a ton of people who aren't interested in meta, running realms, botting everything, and teleporting all over the map. I happen to live around like 15 hermits and we greatly enjoy our little bubble.
hushpuppi3

Postby berthedin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:22 am

Finally this ugly botter snail gets hit by developers <3 Thank you Jorb and Loftar, great patch, time to buy a hat!
Atikin:
whats wrong with me, is that i just wanted a couple of fucking days of peace, but nah your stupid polish ass has to go and fuck it up by ko'ing ppl on the NK realm and casusing more issues and drama.
berthedin

Postby Noid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 am

Anyone remembers that article at Hafen's launch where a dragon attack to your village was hinted as fore-coming?

What happened to that? It's been few years now, maybe I missed the updated where the idea was dumped.

Would be nice to see or at least hear plans for additional "end game" content, instead adding onions maybe take the time to reflect how get the people to stick around more than 3 months in the game.
Noid

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 am

talon00302 wrote:
loftar wrote:

Updated in what way?

Confirmation window so it's not people just running loot scripts to steal items as soon as you put yours in.

It's not "secure" way of trading, like in World of Warcraft, by design. Idea is for trading to require some trust between players.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm not sure about the design philosophy when Barter Stalls are quite secure AND don't require you to be face-to-face. Ad the trust thing goes on whole another level if you're not meeting in neutral place (like a market) where both players have a visitor buff.

Anyway, I'd still say Bandy is fine as it is (as a way to conveniently give something to another player, I remember someone saying in patch topic that instead of having to wait for Lawspeaker to come online, they were able to Bandy some medicine to new recruit immediately.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements