Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Postby azrid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:47 pm

If you don't like the answers thats on you. Keep those blinders on.
azrid

Postby ctopolon4 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 am

its so nasty to gather team when you found some dungeon near one of your charters and you have to offer players to go by foot there instead TAXI service.
just +1hr to gather ppl together for gameplay
very interesting who advice to kill kicksled feature? or Jorb found it himself?
ctopolon4

Postby DoverianDragoon » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:48 pm

Snail: "What does an army of crime alts even DO?"

Also Snail (emphasis mine):

SnuggleSnail wrote:Stealth is PRETTY GOOD in a lot of situations even if all it does is scale up the tracking vector, and decrease the number of charges per scent. I remember Jorb asking on stream if it was good, and everybody said no... In my experience it's arguably OP due to the formula they use scaling so well.

It seems pretty reasonable to me that a fresh spawn could see that a crime has been committed without the ability to actually track the perpetrator. Though, I would miss bashing people's things and giggling like a school girl when I see the bug reports of missing buildings/docks/snekkjas/etc.
DoverianDragoon

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 pm

I feel like you're trying to do a got'cha, but there isn't a got'cha there.

If I'm going to bash your snekkja I'm going to do it on my main, and if for some reason I was going to do it on an alt, I wouldn't do it on an army of alts. By the time there's any serious charter network is setup every major village will be filled with fighter characters that have the same will as a main, and probably the same charter memos as the mains that belong to people who quit, that everybody can use, so not being able to port others wouldn't affect it anyway.

There is literally one instance where my not being able to teleport other characters somewhere will result in me not destroying a snekkja I would've otherwise destroyed... If I just didn't leave my base on my main because I was too lazy to get the initial charter, which has nothing to do with alts. Other people being less motivated to play the game at all may make you feel more safe, but shutting the servers down would be a similar method to achieve that safety xd

Azrid is either a troll, or a cynical fearmonger that wants to play singleplayer.
I want you guys that don't really engage in the more vandalismy/murdery aspect of the game to think about it.
If you're outside of somebody's base you don't like with a bunch of vandal alts, what can you actually do to hurt them? The answer is basically
a) bash roads they don't have
b) siege them

IDK about you guys, but if I'm bashing somebody's roads, I'm going to use my main, because it'll be x10 faster with higher strength for no downside.
If you're concerned about being sieged by vandal alts, nobody is concerned with giving you their scent, so there's no reason to use an alt. Additionally, if you're getting sieged they probably built a charter village nearby - and this is the one exception where people would absolutely spend the time to collect the charter memo on all of their characters anyway. If I'm going to build a siege charter I can just login to all my villager's chars/alts and knarr them there at once.

/essay
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 pm

Clearly you're a stand-up guy that doesn't need to snivel around. When you bring an army, it'll be an actual army, not a bunch of cardboard cutouts and fakes. However, even just within the last year, people have proven their "willingness" to run around with alt armies to do nefarious things, whether it be vandalize, murder, or whatever.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DoverianDragoon » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:38 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I feel like you're trying to do a got'cha, but there isn't a got'cha there.

My intent wasn't to imply that you'd done anything with alleged crime alts, but rather to point out the types of things one might do with them. Your individual methods & tactics are irrelevant to the point of what others might do; even if your methods are objectively the best or most efficient, they might not be the ones that everyone uses when engaging in such activities.

Personally, I'm neither particularly worried about armies of crime alts, nor particularly attached to what the devs clearly determined to be a bug. So maybe I'm just feeding the trolls, here.
DoverianDragoon

Postby azrid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Snail has a guilty conscience that's why he can't let this go.
azrid

Previous

Return to Announcements