Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Postby strpk0 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:16 pm

DoverianDragoon wrote:Hi! I'm one of those people that enjoys what you call a "walking simulator."

I'm glad you enjoy this aspect of the game. I just don't see how fast travel being brought back and easier as it was before would remove your playstyle. You could still make it a point to travel places without making use of fast travel if you felt like the experience is worthwhile.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 pm

jorb wrote:You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

Can you at least make it so you can inherit your charter stone memo's? Travelling after forageables are useful is incredibly boring and is usually just done without looking at the game.
DDDsDD999

Postby shadowchris » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 pm

So when you gonna announce the fact that you've devoted most of your time to your new project over hafen? :?
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby Ag_Revol » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 pm

strpk0 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by this, are you suggesting that having to spend a few hours to get to a place in an effective barrier to someone that would spend enough time in the game to have "the strongest character"?

If they need to visit every charterstone in the world - yeah that sounds like a pain in the ass, most people won't be bothered doing it. But that was mostly an argument against removing TW.

strpk0 wrote:Small markets have no use because it's simply easier, under the current fast travel mechanics, to find the most popular market, "visit" it and stick to it forever. I don't think I would ever waste my time travelling to some small new market if I don't know it might be gone in the next few days.
Small markets used to be quite succesful in the legacy days with fast travel, because all you needed was an alt and a village idol to trade with people, thus any newcomers to the trading scene could post a thread, offer decent prices and immediately get interested customers.

As I said, everyone gets their share of customers. Smaller markets / local shops can benefit from people buying directly from them because big markets are too far away. And I don't mean "big market, just smaller than the top one", I mean small markets for 3-4 barter stands / local communities trading between each other. If you want to take effort and travel + level a character to get access to better markets - sure, go for it, but it should require at least some effort.

strpk0 wrote:I frankly don't know enough about this to properly comment on it, but perhaps it is time to reconsider if continents was a good idea after all, I'm not sure what the purpose of actively enabling people to isolate themselves in an online game that thrives on social interaction is. But feel free to enlighten me.

Here we should agree to disagree. In my opinion, continents are probably one of the best things to happen with HnH. Sure they aren't perfect and have a lot to be reconsidered/fixed, but as a concept, they greatly benefit the game as I see it. (Apart from this world, tbh, most continents are just dead resource dumpsters). And HnH isn't solely a social game, it's also a game that gets a decent share of fun from politics, outlaws, and random encounters in the world. It's not some weird farming game where you customize your local carrot farm with the ability for your friends to visit your "cool farm" with one click, world geography is important
Make Kebabs Great Again!
W6-8 - Hermit
W9 - Amish Paradise
W10 - Amish Paradise then Hermit
W11 - A.D.
W12 - Lawspeaker of Avalon
W13 - Konung of Norsca
W14 - Konung of Norsca
Ag_Revol

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:31 pm

Ag_Revol wrote: And HnH isn't solely a social game, it's also a game that gets a decent share of fun from politics, outlaws, and random encounters in the world. It's not some weird farming game where you customize your local carrot farm

rly make u thonk
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Ag_Revol » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Ag_Revol wrote: And HnH isn't solely a social game, it's also a game that gets a decent share of fun from politics, outlaws, and random encounters in the world. It's not some weird farming game where you customize your local carrot farm

rly make u thonk

Okay, all arguments withdrawn, embrace the carrot farms!
Make Kebabs Great Again!
W6-8 - Hermit
W9 - Amish Paradise
W10 - Amish Paradise then Hermit
W11 - A.D.
W12 - Lawspeaker of Avalon
W13 - Konung of Norsca
W14 - Konung of Norsca
Ag_Revol

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 pm

You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

Why? It's essentially a horse and horses can teleport :|

This patch was basically just a kick in the dick and some pastries :roll:
Last edited by jordancoles on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby shubla » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm

jordancoles wrote:
You can no longer Charter Stone travel with vehicles that would normally be left behind when Hearthing Home, e.g. Kicksled.

This patch was basically just this change right here and it's basically just a kick in the dick, so... :roll:

Maybe because you can have 2 persons in it, 1 of them can have like only will and then the other one gets to travel to anywhere for free?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Cayur wrote:Dev stream when, almost been a year without them, they were probably the best thing you started as it gave us an insight on how you currently view the game and possible future plans.
Please bring them back.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 pm

shubla wrote:
jordancoles wrote:

This patch was basically just this change right here and it's basically just a kick in the dick, so... :roll:

Maybe because you can have 2 persons in it, 1 of them can have like only will and then the other one gets to travel to anywhere for free?

I assume we can still teleport with a sled overhead, so it isn't the end of the world

Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements