Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:53 pm

PogJoe45 wrote:Guess I'll have to upgrade this old laptop! Getting major fps drops when walking through forests after the update, not that it matters too much since my place is at my pond on my fishing boat

Are you sure that's something that happened with this change? I profiled the animation and found it to have a negligible impact to performance. I do have a rather limited range of hardware to profile it on, though, so perhaps it interacts worse with some hardware than with other. What's your GPU?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 pm

strpk0 wrote:Its strange to me that for all this time bad cam has been called an "unsupported camera mode" and now all of the sudden changes are being made to it.

I don't think making slight changes to it brings it from "unsupported" to "supported". The main change I wanted to effect was just that the zooming constant was a bit wacky, but when I was at it, I also simply copied the smoothing camera I had written for Salem long ago, because a completely unsmoothed camera is quite cancerous in my opinion. With that said, I can see your point that it probably was a bit overly smoothed, so I've adjusted that now, along with a :cam worse in case you're a complete barbarian.

Personally, I had never even considered the idea that the smoothing of the real camera would be a bad feature, however. I might consider at least adjusting the smoothing behavior a bit if that's really your main concern with it.
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:08 pm

loftar wrote:
strpk0 wrote:Its strange to me that for all this time bad cam has been called an "unsupported camera mode" and now all of the sudden changes are being made to it.

I don't think the fact that it's unsupported means I can't even touch it. The main change I wanted to effect was just that the zooming constant was a bit wacky, but when I was at it, I also simply copied the smoothing camera I had written for Salem long ago, because a completely unsmoothed camera is quite cancerous in my opinion. With that said, I can see your point that it was probably a bit overly smoothed, so I've adjusted that now, along with a :cam worse in case you're a complete barbarian.

Personally, I had never even considered the idea that the smoothing of the real camera would be a bad feature, however. I might consider at least adjusting the smoothing behavior a bit if that's really your main concern with it.

Zentetsuken

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:09 pm

loftar wrote:I might consider at least adjusting the smoothing behavior a bit if that's really your main concern with it.

Please do if you can, it feels like it's a bit too much.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:if it ain't broke, don't fix it

The issue is that it was broke, though. The zooming thing has been one of the most common complaints lately, and the complete lack of smoothing is objectively broken.

Nightdawg wrote:Please do if you can, it feels like it's a bit too much.

If you reload your client, I've applied the same smoothing change to the orthocam. I can perhaps appreciate the increased feeling of precision that it gives to zoom and rotation, but I'm not sure I like it for movement.
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 pm

loftar wrote:The zooming thing has been one of the most common complaints lately

I have an incredibly hard time believing this

I also find it super strange that out of the 1000s of things people complain about and the list with 1000s of things to fix
that you picked camera smoothness on a camera mode that you flagrantly do not support

do you plan to fix the issue with QG pointers while using badcam next then? I bet you have 100s more complaints about that
Zentetsuken

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:I have an incredibly hard time believing this

Most of the have been expressed with the term "mouse wheel" rather than "camera zoom", but yes, it has been very common ever since we went on our streak of client renovations.

Zentetsuken wrote:I also find it super strange that out of the 1000s of things people complain about and the list with 1000s of things to fix
that you picked camera smoothness on a camera mode that you flagrantly do not support

It was a simply very quick and easy thing to do, and also I received yet another PM about it.
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm

loftar wrote:Most of the have been expressed with the term "mouse wheel" rather than "camera zoom"

ah yes, I think the few people who mentioned that specifically wanted a slider that they could adjust themselves

and since you are now putting time in to supporting this camera style, will you fix the QG pointers?
Zentetsuken

Postby iamahh » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:27 pm

lol reading this thread I was expecting some crazy change to badcam, only noticed that zoom is much better
Last edited by iamahh on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamahh

Postby Baba_Ji » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 pm

jorb wrote:[*] As the sap rises with the onset of Hearthland spring, a new wind plays in its leafy crowns. Trees are now gently animated.

Awesome! Haven could use more atmospheric stuff like this I think.

jorb wrote:[*] Added "Green Thumb", hearth magic. Cause a stunted tree to begin growing again.[/list]

Cool, but why do manually planted trees stunt at all? They have horrible chances at even growing fully already AND take a hit to quality. The only people who want to plant in this manner is larpers really.

jorb wrote:[*] Grave Cairn now displays runes only when someone is buried in them.

Why? Empty grave cairns decay quite fast (several days) even on a claim. And where are those desperately needed skull totem tweaks!?

Badcam needed faster zoomy zoom with mouse wheel. Thank you for :cam worse though.
Baba_Ji

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements