Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Postby Lalaxx » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:25 am

jorb wrote:[*] Yulestar, Elven Lights, and Starfish can now be hung on walls.

No it can't.
Lalaxx

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:20 am

Could we get a simple slider for how much smoothing we have? I'm part of the few that used unlocked ortho since i've used that in amber for years because i don't like bad cam, and i have a rather sporadic mouse movement style. I used to be able to just whip my camera about just how i need with the flick of a mouse, but can't really do that now.

BTW the wind effects on trees is simply gorgeous, we need more stuff like that. Prunes, sitting and more hearth magicks are awesome too. Very cool patch overall this week, thank you! :D
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby shubla » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 am

loftar wrote:
strpk0 wrote:Have you considered a camera mode where the camera isn't permanently locked to the player's position? I remember in legacy (atleast in custom clients) there was a camera mode where you had to manually pan around, and the camera would only snap back to the player when going into houses/caves or teleporting in general. In hindsight, perhaps a bit aesthetically ugly and manual labor to have to manually pan around, but it did give some nice amount of control to how you want to view the scene.

I've considered that very strongly. I liked that a lot myself and missed it quite a bit when going to 3D, especially because it means you can have the camera slightly in advance of the character when walking around, but the main problem is that in Legacy, the whole mouse-wheel-drag mode was available for panning the camera, whereas it is now used for rotating the camera, and can't really imagine getting both of those working in some unobtrusive way (like, sure, you could use shift+mouse-drag or something, but I do think that is a bit too cumbersome to be practical).

Maybe if you hold both mouse buttons (left and right, both initially held down in short enough interval of each other) it could be panned around by dragging mouse?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:20 am

linkfanpc wrote:Could we get a simple slider for how much smoothing we have? I'm part of the few that used unlocked ortho since i've used that in amber for years because i don't like bad cam, and i have a rather sporadic mouse movement style. I used to be able to just whip my camera about just how i need with the flick of a mouse, but can't really do that now.

I might consider such a slider, but I don't think the smoothing change should affect how much you need to move your mouse to achieve a certain effect. Dragging the camera around sets the target angle in exactly the same way before and after this change, the smoothing is applied after that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 am

loftar wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:Could we get a simple slider for how much smoothing we have? I'm part of the few that used unlocked ortho since i've used that in amber for years because i don't like bad cam, and i have a rather sporadic mouse movement style. I used to be able to just whip my camera about just how i need with the flick of a mouse, but can't really do that now.

I might consider such a slider, but I don't think the smoothing change should affect how much you need to move your mouse to achieve a certain effect. Dragging the camera around sets the target angle in exactly the same way before and after this change, the smoothing is applied after that.

Ahh, i suppose you're right, on second glance it doesn't feel much different (haven't played today just hopped on for a moment to see it), i got smoothing confused with acceleration, i thought it felt like there was less momentum to my flicks, which was moving the camera less, but it would seem that's not the case.

Regardless i still think i liked it better before so i stand by my suggestion.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby talon00302 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:58 am

Kill the old client already, people who are playing on an old custom client are doing themselves a disservice at this point. Default client is already extremely playable and it’s a waste of your development time to keep updating two branches.
talon00302

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:10 am

I liked the look of this update and even though it's way past my bedtime I excitedly logged in to see the tree's and ... nothing, lol, I guess it doesn't work on Amber without it being updated. :(

I also love the hat, purple, spiders, the webbing detail, I feel like you made it just for me ... :D ... but I'm frightened to buy any now after one of them, or maybe two of them, caused issues with Amber ... and, I stopped subbing due to the fact that I foresee a future where the key players are using private clients and the rest of us are left with default, whilst I know the private clients have more advanced features anyway, like being able to see someone long before we see them but at least with Enders and Amber we have some extra protection over the default.

Anyway, I think it's a nice update and tomorrow I'll check out the trees on default. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:46 am

Just popped into my mine to check on a load of ore and Whoooaaa!!! one of my towercaps was swaying! I thought I was having a dizzy spell there for a minute, or maybe that a cave-in was imminent... relieved to see that is was just part of the latest update :) Cool beans!
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby maze » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:42 am

avros008 wrote:http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60910&hilit=+sitting sitting was my idea :D

Many peoples ideas in fact even before your own.
viewtopic.php?p=703853#p703853

Now we just need more sit styles.
Possibly every time you click that sit button it would change the style of sitting. Mirror it, 2 feet out, cross leg leaning forward, cross leg leaning back.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby shubla » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:50 am

I liked the new bad cam at first, but its way too rubber bandy!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements