Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby fuffens1 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:35 pm

loftar wrote:
fuffens1 wrote:Maybe tracking could cause you to not be able to thingwall travel for a few minutes as well, while red-handed is not able to teleport at all. I think converging on a criminal or a goon-squad through thingwalls should be a thing. But maybe being able to locate from 5 different angles in a matter of second is a "bit" busted.

You'd just send out five different characters, each with their own scent, to different locations before they use it to track.

Well duh, but so? All 5 have now commited to a thingwall and cant tp back or between since they recently tracked. Say if you do this with a bunch of alts and can kind off triangulate the perpetrator you still have to commit with 1 character to intercept. Are you catching what im trying to say here? There are solutions.
Animal behavior could certainly improve. Beatings will continue until it does. - jorb, January 2018.
fuffens1

Postby Archiplex » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:40 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I think the < 100 ppl who actually PVP would FRICKEN HATE to be redhanded for 55min every time they aggro somebody, and the facebook moms ur trying to protect are going to get fukt no matter what the mechanics are

I mean, yeah. That's the point.

Opportunistic killing halfway across the world shouldn't really be encouraged, just like opportunistic pali-bashing is discouraged. If you have a big group out pvping and are prepared to be out for hours, red-handed shouldn't bother you. But I know for CERTAIN that red-handed has prevented some big dogs from killing a person here and there because they can't be bothered waiting an hour to teleport back home. That's the intent here.

That said, I agree with some other points:

Downing someone who initiated combat against you shouldn't count as a crime (and hell, even looting them a bit doesn't seem bad). Not sure of a good way to do this other than "being red-handed means crimes against you aren't real crimes", but even that has very obvious abuse cases and in real pvp, punishes the first person to attack a little too much. Unless jorb can somehow store information on who attacked who else first, anyways.

Likewise, pushing can just count as a different, lesser crime. Or not a crime at all; who the hell chases someone down for pushing another person anyways? Another alternative is separating "initiating combat" and "pushing" from "dealing damage"- and cause anything that deals SHP damage to be considered battery.

I do want to point out that i'm sure a lot of people would actually love to pvp in this game, I know I personally would- but we can't, because of the sweaty autists you describe yourself. There's so much of a difference between large groups and small groups (not even considering playtime here!!) from the start to the end of the world that it's basically impossible to pvp casually.

I, personally, also don't see why tracking being easy is a bad thing. Again, discourages opportunistic crimes, encourages grouping- encourages big pvp brawls.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:46 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:haha u guys sound like u regularly get foraged

ye
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 pm

Archiplex wrote:Downing someone who initiated combat against you shouldn't count as a crime

That's how it works.
DDDsDD999

Postby jordancoles » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
Archiplex wrote:Downing someone who initiated combat against you shouldn't count as a crime

That's how it works.

Yep. If youre attacked first you can KO them scent free. You can't loot them though and if you happen to kill them on the KO, it will still leave murder.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Reiber » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:58 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:no, I meant that as a commentary on the avg game knowledge a normal hafen player that is concerned with somebody aggroing them vs. the ppl that are proly going to be aggroing them

I consider myself to be kinda bad, but if you take the < 100 people who actually PVP out of the equation for any given world I'm basically an untouchable god. The same as true for basically anybody who practices for like 3 hours one time and maybe PVPs a bit in other games

lots of ppl r trying to make suggestions regarding balance around the assumption it isn't sweaty 16-24 year old nerds who play 16 hours a day vs. 2 speeding facebook moms that r just happy their stonestead matches their pavement reasonably well

I think the < 100 ppl who actually PVP would FRICKEN HATE to be redhanded for 55min every time they aggro somebody, and the facebook moms ur trying to protect are going to get fukt no matter what the mechanics are

absolutely true. real pvp is only accessible too a few high performance players with communitys too feed them, everything else is just some barely not spucecaps anymore hat attack spucecaps on sight. for shits and giggles. and even if the 300 spucecaps wpuld unite they wouldn´t be relevant in any way shape or form as they are outperformed by 2 "real"players and there farmingbot.

but leaving crimescents and being tracked is nothing only those 100 topplayers will experience.

besides that, those relevant players couldnt care less for the crimesystem at all. all it does is inconveniance them , why would ozzy care if some hermit picked up his murderscent. if one of the big players die , it´s easy too deduce who killed him, as there are maybe 4 factions that have the men that can do that. and they all know eachother and where there base is.

the crimessystem only delays aggression in the earlygame, and barrs of spucecaps from acting as criminals/dieing,trying too defend themself.
but it succsessfully makes nakedalt grieving an tiny bit more annoying than worthwile in some cases

for biggerplayers all it does is "hurr durr walk home normally and take 42 midgebites if you log off outsde a house."
Reiber

Postby Valgar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Make the "Valhalla" a thing and the problem is solved.
There is no point going on a Sprucecap killing spree if you are a man seeking PvP challenge.
Killing Sprucies/hermits is only a way to exort frustration of being on a game that isn't really fit with your tastes, but that's not a reason to spoil the fun for others players.

And the fun is, when the real PvP starts, thoses Raiders/SpruceCap killers leaves the game cause they can't/haven't the skill to participate to.

Please devs, make the "Valhalla" a thing, allowing some fun for everyone.
Valgar

Postby magisticus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:02 pm

Valgar wrote:Make the "Valhalla" a thing and the problem is solved.
There is no point going on a Sprucecap killing spree if you are a man seeking PvP challenge.
Killing Sprucies/hermits is only a way to exort frustration of being on a game that isn't really fit with your tastes, but that's not a reason to spoil the fun for others players.

And the fun is, when the real PvP starts, thoses Raiders/SpruceCap killers leaves the game cause they can't/haven't the skill to participate to.

Please devs, make the "Valhalla" a thing, allowing some fun for everyone.

Very few of the PVPers in this game are seeking a PVP challenge, they get their kicks from griefing other players that don't have equipment to fight back, which is why they play a game with endless developement that is progressively unballanced towards the more developed players and freely allows botting - so there is no challenge for those on top.
magisticus

Postby linkfanpc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:11 pm

magisticus wrote:
Very few of the PVPers in this game are seeking a PVP challenge, they get their kicks from griefing other players that don't have equipment to fight back, which is why they play a game with endless developement that is progressively unballanced towards the more developed players and freely allows botting - so there is no challenge for those on top.

This. Even then, half the point of PvP is the ability to take something from them, whether that be stats through big wounds, stealing their things, or killing them. They like to make the opposite party feel loss and regret of challenging them.

Everyone's at some point wished they had an excuse to beat up their neighbor and steal his scythe or something similar, some just don't need an excuse at all.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:39 pm

magisticus wrote:Very few of the PVPers in this game are seeking a PVP challenge, they get their kicks from griefing other players that don't have equipment to fight back, which is why they play a game with endless developement that is progressively unballanced towards the more developed players and freely allows botting - so there is no challenge for those on top.

u dont need more equipment and higher stats to beat 99% of you guys.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements