Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby Southpaw » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:34 am

Archiplex wrote:I actually don't see why it shouldn't be a red-handed thing. Seems strange to me that assault is somehow less severe than theft, especially since you can both cause someone to suffer far more with just assault, and that only one character for some reason gains battery even if they helped out knock someone else significantly. Assault definitely feels a little under-punished currently.

have you ever pushed someone before

for any reason

congrats you're red handed
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Lightning2 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am

Southpaw wrote:
Archiplex wrote:I actually don't see why it shouldn't be a red-handed thing. Seems strange to me that assault is somehow less severe than theft, especially since you can both cause someone to suffer far more with just assault, and that only one character for some reason gains battery even if they helped out knock someone else significantly. Assault definitely feels a little under-punished currently.

have you ever pushed someone before

for any reason

congrats you're red handed

And obviously that should be changed.
Lightning2

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:45 am

lol didn't we already try a system that encouraged ppl to not aggro each other
it was pretty bad

for the LI'L HERMIT BOIS keep in mind if ur getting aggroed the person who aggroed u is getting red handed anyway because u'll get KOed b4 u run 1 minimap realistically
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Valgar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:55 am

In my opinion "Thingswall" are not really used in other purpose than griefing far from your local land.
Not being able to teleport from/to them while "Redhanded" is like the "Return to your hearthfire", logic.

For the moment the only PvP we can see is a spruce/hermit rampage, nasty for the game itself. Giving the raiders the feeling to be real PvPers by killing naked dudes.
You want to grief far from your land, take your Knarr/Snekkja, and sail, taking the risk to get caught.

If you want your game be more of a "Mount and Blade" style, the Valhalla is already there for that, just make it possible to create a character there from the start, allowing "Rust" players to have fun there, and perhaps adding later some sort of "Battle Royal" / Last Man Standing they seems to like (They picked the wrong game but well...)
Valgar

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:for the LI'L HERMIT BOIS keep in mind if ur getting aggroed the person who aggroed u is getting red handed anyway because u'll get KOed b4 u run 1 minimap realistically

Is there still any speed bonus in any of the credos? Other than the one for chasing small critters of course.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am

no, I meant that as a commentary on the avg game knowledge a normal hafen player that is concerned with somebody aggroing them vs. the ppl that are proly going to be aggroing them

I consider myself to be kinda bad, but if you take the < 100 people who actually PVP out of the equation for any given world I'm basically an untouchable god. The same as true for basically anybody who practices for like 3 hours one time and maybe PVPs a bit in other games

lots of ppl r trying to make suggestions regarding balance around the assumption it isn't sweaty 16-24 year old nerds who play 16 hours a day vs. 2 speeding facebook moms that r just happy their stonestead matches their pavement reasonably well

I think the < 100 ppl who actually PVP would FRICKEN HATE to be redhanded for 55min every time they aggro somebody, and the facebook moms ur trying to protect are going to get fukt no matter what the mechanics are
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am

Oh okay, yeah I don't disagree when a majority of the time those less experienced players end up killed in their boats before having moved to land at all. Though I am genuinely curious about whether or not those speed increases have been removed like on forest with Strider for example, which if they have been that's a good thing as that was just another requirement in order to participate or a major disadvantage if you did not have it.

Given the state of current combat mechanics and the stat and quality difference between faction players and the rest of the player base, I'd have to agree with the sentiment that right now it would be worse to allow ThingWall use while red-handed. If more players actually had a chance at competing with the PVPers you're referring to then I think there would be a far larger inclination to support changes that would assist such players.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:03 pm

boat through a vortex then pick a route that takes 1 hour to get back vs. boat in a random direction for 1 hour and port back with a thingwall

the same number of facebook moms die either way - it only makes normal play that isn't entirely peasfool more annoying
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:05 pm

Maybe if you didn't lose all your weariness when you hearth back because you took your knarr/snekkja out on a long trip it would alleviate some of that.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm

maybe if some1 attacks me and I dunk his ass and decide to take his troll belt I shouldn't need to stand next to a thingwall for 55minutes

I mean there's a billion other reasons there isn't rly a casual PVP scene at all, but there's no wonder there isn't when you consider 1 red hand timer might be a half or somebody's whole daily playtime and it's just them afking next to a thingwall wanting to go to bed because they won a fight

I can't count the number of times I've made somebody babysit my redhanded character for an hour, or just set up a script to hearth me if I get KOed or if redhanded runs out because I wanted to sleep
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements