Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:13 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:maybe if some1 attacks me and I dunk his ass and decide to take his troll belt I shouldn't need to stand next to a thingwall for 55minutes

Sounds like a fairly specific scenario in which you were already travelling for a significant amount of time and it would have taken longer to get back than waiting out the timer. If I manage to beat someone I'm not hanging around nearby I'm getting the fuck out of there. I understand your point, it would be a shitty situation for anyone to be in, but from my perspective you have to take those possible circumstances in to account when you attempt long trips like that.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:21 pm

with the way thingwalls work I doubt I will ever be nearby my base when I choose to be outside for whatever reason
spend 10 weariness to be on the other side of the world to do the thing > some thing happens > o fuck guess I get to wait here an hour
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 pm

My main concern is the possible abuse with throw-away characters. It's not all that difficult for a big faction group to create multiple fighter alts that are on par or yet still better than many of those who play as hermits or in smaller villages. There is very little risk to them whereas the people they may be targeting have far more to lose.

Shouldn't there also be some inherent risk for anyone that uses fast travel though? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that if you fast travel across the world, one of the risks you take in doing that is being stuck in that location for an hour whether it's because you chose to leave scents or had to defend yourself. That's why I also mentioned it might be good if hearthing back while in a knarr, snekkja, wagon, whatever other vehicle could use the same amount of travel weariness as a normal hearth, as this at least offers a greater incentive to travel those distances without the use of fast travel.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:37 pm

I stopped reading when you said throw away characters. Nobody does that for combat. Nobody. Vandal alts are sometimes used for rly annoying shit, but in those instances it's honestly probably ONLY ME doing that and VERY RARELY. Vandal alts probably live in a safepali nearby the annoying shit they're doing, or get packed into a looting knarr and driven across the world if stealing SHP is the issue. No teleporting involved ever

If you're even vaguely competent you're x100000 more likely to die to a boar when you DC than the top 20 PVPer chasing you. Something RETARDED needs to happen for you to die, so nobody is afraid of that. If you want to not be risking anything when you go out, just don't take good gear
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:51 pm

I do that, so it's at least not nobody. I truly have no idea what you could be doing when you go exploring that you are going to end up getting red-handed so often. Do players even get attacked on land that often? Most of the time it seems like the fights start on the water, I've hardly run in to anyone even at peak times when walking around on land doing foraging or questing via thingwalls.
Kaios

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Kaios wrote:I truly have no idea what you could be doing when you go exploring that you are going to end up getting red-handed so often.

SnuggleSnail wrote:Image
solid day of foraging

SnuggleSnail wrote:Image

first foraged tsack?

He's just out foraging on the other side of the world, why can't he just insta-travel back to his pali after that? smh
VDZ

Postby azrid » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:13 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I stopped reading when you said throw away characters. Nobody does that for combat. Nobody. Vandal alts are sometimes used for rly annoying shit, but in those instances it's honestly probably ONLY ME doing that and VERY RARELY. Vandal alts probably live in a safepali nearby the annoying shit they're doing, or get packed into a looting knarr and driven across the world if stealing SHP is the issue. No teleporting involved ever

If you're even vaguely competent you're x100000 more likely to die to a boar when you DC than the top 20 PVPer chasing you. Something RETARDED needs to happen for you to die, so nobody is afraid of that. If you want to not be risking anything when you go out, just don't take good gear

Maybe you should consider using an army of throw away crime alts. Then you won't care so much about waiting out the 1 hour.
Your crime alt will be stronger than the facebook moms you pvp against so no need to worry there.
You could also not commit crime so far away from home if it bothers you that the world has some sort of locality.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 pm

haha u guys sound like u regularly get foraged
SnuggleSnail

Postby Valgar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:31 pm

Don't fool people SnuggleSnails, you are known to not being a poor little fisherman just defending his meal against the bad big raiders.
You are far from your claim (really far), it's not really for normal foraging purpose, and if you get attacked, you'll not get red-handed for defending yourself. You choose to Kill/Steal afterward that defense, it's your own choice, wait the timer for Thingwalls.
No pain, no gain ? Allowing raiders the usage of thingwalls while being Red-handed is just for me a full gain with minor risk.

Wanted to sleep and have to wait an hour ?
Did you think about some hermits you ganked/robbed fucking a week or more of their gametime ?
Valgar

Postby Zampfeo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm

I've been on both the giving and receiving end of thingwall raids. I'm interested to see how they effect the later stages of the game, but so far I agree with those saying its main impact has made murdering spruce caps easier. They allow an established village to project their power over a region/continent more than ever. Simply scout out any easy targets, plant a scouting alt there, and take an hour out of the day to go pay them a visit when they are online. This can be done to groups 100+ mini-maps away. I don't think being able to thingwall while red-handed changes anything in this regard. The groups who get raided very rarely have any means to seek revenge anyway.
Zampfeo

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements