Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby DauntlessGolem » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:33 pm

Cool changes, I really like the turtle buttons! More gildings like that please
Agame wrote:Gorgeous, practical, common-sense idea. They will talk about bots and will not implement it because it is brilliant.

+1, not that it will matter anyway.

jorb wrote:@ OP: Terrible idea. Just run a bot doing that.
DauntlessGolem

Postby bmjclark » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:33 pm

jorb wrote:The argument for the Thingwall change was to make it easier to participate in PvP related events, including fighting over Thingwalls. Yes, it makes tracking harder, presumably, but you can track to Hearth. Given that charter stones allowed travel while red-handed, IIRC, it seemed an established precedent. Open to having my mind changed.

Tbh, you might as well remove redhanded after this change. People are going to be able to port almost straight home after commiting crimes anyways
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Archiplex » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 pm

jorb wrote:The argument for the Thingwall change was to make it easier to participate in PvP related events, including fighting over Thingwalls. Yes, it makes tracking harder, presumably, but you can track to Hearth. Given that charter stones allowed travel while red-handed, IIRC, it seemed an established precedent. Open to having my mind changed.

Even if you can track to hearth, sieging isn't really that simple or easy to do; once someone arrives home, they're basically not going to be able to be killed unless you seriously overpower them- the fair chance to fight them is trying to get someone while they're out of their base, while they're still running off trying to get back home.

Yeah, sure, this might just serve as an inconvenience to people who already couldn't be overpowered i.e massive factions who have to wait an hour at a thingwall and clearly can't easily be contested, but it also provides a massive safety net for smaller criminals- to the point where i don't see what the point in having red-handed is anymore if they can just run to the nearest thingwall and route their way home.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm

jorb wrote:You can travel using "Thingwall"s while under the "Red-Handed" debuff. Oversight on our part.

This wasn't an oversight, it was literally the opposite of an oversight. Undo.
Constantly ignoring the fact that global pools have been only helping botters for 2+ years is an oversight.
Last edited by Nightdawg on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm

The idea was merely to make it easier to get to and from scenes of PvP.

You do realize that most of pvp in early world is basically rampage on killing sprucecaps.
1 risk with rampage is that somebody could track you to get a fight, but with this change not even that is not going to happen anymore. Let alone the possibility to camp not only your local sprucecaps but also sprucecaps of the whole world quite effortlessly!

If this change was done solely to make thingwall fights occur more often and not to increase sprucecap death rate you should indeed revert it and come up with some other system.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby springyb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:37 pm

loftar wrote:I didn't really think the thingwall-while-redhanded change would be particularly controversial. The idea was merely to make it easier to get to and from scenes of PvP. If y'all think it's that bad, I can certainly consider reverting it, but I imagined it would be simple enough to aggro a player that you're following to ensure he can't travel and all that, and thingwall travel is after all different from hearthing home since you have to get to a thingwall first. Could also consider introducing some more restrictions on thingwall travel while redhanded instead of reverting it entirely.

Ninja'd by Jorb, it seems.

If it's a problem, you could only allow red handed travel while a flag/window is up at your destination.

jorb wrote:[*] Added "Turtle Shell Buttons", gilding.

Edit: Oh nice early game strength gilding for mining should help out quite a bit
Last edited by springyb on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
springyb

Postby ThymeToChime » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 pm

Yikes on the revert, we've proven in the past that this mechanic is nothing more than an inconvenience.
ThymeToChime

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 pm

Okay, we'll revert the Thingwall change for now to discuss it in person tomorrow. Still leaning in favor of it, but listening to the discussion.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 pm

thingwalls r gonna b bad when ur getting chased by 10 retards porting from every direction with horses over and over again xd
if they're gonna b bad either way I'd rather the bad version that involves me being able to travel...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Southpaw » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 pm

"oh no like 3 people complained about this change that would make thingwall teleports uniform with every other teleport in the game (((((Including the shit they replaced))))) its time to revert"

come on dudes. gonna love basically being a sitting duck while i get thingwall ported and converged upon as i sit completely fuckin' helpless trying to boat/run in X direction since i can't exactly go home
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements