Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 pm

jorb wrote:I don't think anyone who is red-handed will ever be chased over brook and field. The normal case is rather smash something while the offended is offline, and retire behind the safety of multiple wall layers.

You haven't seen the forager gank squad in action then. At least they have to suffer a small consequence by not being able to instantly teleport back :roll:
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby NoBizd » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Being red-handed should be punishment for doing bad things to other people. I'm really glad you reverted the Thingwall change. It would make tracking and catching people off their HF nearly impossible and on the other hand it would be too easy to bully hermits/newbs far away from your base. Red-handed = no travel with Thingwall, eot.
Last edited by NoBizd on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoBizd

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 pm

jorb wrote:I don't think anyone who is red-handed will ever be chased over brook and field. The normal case is rather smash something while the offended is offline, and retire behind the safety of multiple wall layers.

The Red-Handed debuff places a cost on opportunistic raiding of bashable walls, and I like it for that, but I am not convinced it accomplishes much more. That cost is not an order of magnitude different from the cost of having to walk to the nearest TW to get home.

Well the issue Snail is presenting forth involves people dropping combat mid battle and then grabbing a horse (maybe) and porting to a thingwall that ends up trying to cut someone off. Just gives an opposing side immense mobility during combat. The normal grab and smash cases generally aren't too bad as you will typically just wander around for an hour being on the move anyways with usually a snekja or knarr nearby for their adventures anyways.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Archiplex » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:58 pm

The Red-Handed debuff places a cost on opportunistic raiding of bashable walls, and I like it for that, but I am not convinced it accomplishes much more. That cost is not an order of magnitude different from the cost of having to walk to the nearest TW to get home.

I can agree with that for crimes that are committed locally, but that isn't really usually the case. You have situations where people are travelling across continents entirely to kill new players/harrass others, often committing hours on a journey; this is why they tend to bring alts with them to teleport snekkjas back home as well (on top of just, well, bypassing the entire dock TW cost by having a dedicated alt to it). When you're so far out from home that travelling back will take longer than just waiting out the time (not to mention less effort), lots of people just sit by until the timer runs out; providing ample room for someone to track them down. Sure, these people might just make more and more vaults around the map- but at least thats more effort they need to make to secure their crimes. This also just makes it more appealing to make vaults near thingwalls so you can teleport to them and find a safe haven relatively quickly.

I also, overall, don't understand why we are making it more convenient for people to commit crimes in general when it's already clearly a decent source of people quitting the game rapidly. Perhaps restricting it so that being red-handed doesn't prevent you from travelling across A. Thingwalls owned by your realm or B. Thingwalls currently challenged by your realm.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Kirche » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Tracking is too strong with the ability to freely teleport across the map, revert the revert, and add a cooldown to teleporting to thingwalls.
Kirche

Postby lordgrunt » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 pm

i dont see thins grey thing in here
lordgrunt

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Kirche wrote:Tracking is too strong with the ability to freely teleport across the map, revert the revert, and add a cooldown to teleporting to thingwalls.

You're not freely teleporting across the map, it costs travel weariness, what do you mean?
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Kirche » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:00 pm

lordgrunt wrote:i dont see thins grey thing in here

that's a custom client feature
Kirche

Postby Kirche » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:01 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
Kirche wrote:Tracking is too strong with the ability to freely teleport across the map, revert the revert, and add a cooldown to teleporting to thingwalls.

You're not freely teleporting across the map, it costs travel weariness, what do you mean?

travel weariness is a mild nearly inconsequential inconvenience
Kirche

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Maybe they should make assault (agroing people) a red handed action....

Could consider. Thingwall convergence sounds slightly cancerous, and this could be a reasonable fix for that.

Oh god they're taking joke posts seriously again.
DDDsDD999

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements