Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Oh god they're taking joke posts seriously again.

How about you make a reply that can be taken seriously, then?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Archiplex » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
loftar wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Maybe they should make assault (agroing people) a red handed action....

Could consider. Thingwall convergence sounds slightly cancerous, and this could be a reasonable fix for that.

Oh god they're taking joke posts seriously again.

I actually don't see why it shouldn't be a red-handed thing. Seems strange to me that assault is somehow less severe than theft, especially since you can both cause someone to suffer far more with just assault, and that only one character for some reason gains battery even if they helped out knock someone else significantly. Assault definitely feels a little under-punished currently.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Kaios » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:10 pm

jorb wrote:I don't think anyone who is red-handed will ever be chased over brook and field. The normal case is rather smash something while the offended is offline, and retire behind the safety of multiple wall layers.

That's probably because there aren't too many interested in trying to chase down someone that probably has double or triple their stats and a significant quality advantage. Even if you were to only take agility in to account, it plays a huge role on whether or not you can manage to survive a fight.
Kaios

Postby stranger9 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:11 pm

You can travel using "Thingwall"s while under the "Red-Handed" debuff. Oversight on our part. Pending. May still do this, but wanted to discuss it a bit first since it was controversial. ------------NOPE ---------------

. We debated wether the new lines should themselves count as "String", and they probably should, but that has some use case problems +++++++++YEP++++++++
stranger9

Postby FrankMcFuzz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:48 pm

More, faster lye is good!

String in creels is good!

More medicine is good!

Good update is good!
FrankMcFuzz

Postby LunarArchon » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:29 am

Interesting changes, the fishlines seem fun but could maybe be aggravating. Can you shed some light on what governs equipment loss while fishing?
I did a quick search and there isn't much concrete info. Is it just that lower Q is more likely to break or be stolen? If some fish are supposedly more likely to break/steal equipment, is that all? It would be cool if there was a "perfect" tackle combo for fish that lowers equipment loss or something.
LunarArchon

Postby Agrik » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:38 am

jorb wrote:We debated wether the new lines should themselves count as "String", and they probably should, but that has some use case problems. Please advise.
They are technically pieces of string, so it's better to see arguments against it first. I mean those "use case problems", to ponder about.

Are these lines create a workaround for some mechanics because they're too easy to bulk produce in high Q? Well, maybe they shouldn't be easily made. Or they can be hard to make of decent Q, but count as double Q when used as an actual fishing line. It's hard to guess while not knowing what is the problem.

Anyways, to separate them a bit, there could be two types, "string" and its subtype "fine string", if it would be better this way, or vice versa - a "rough string" subtype of a more general "string" type. Or "string" and "long string", IDK.

jorb wrote:The argument for the Thingwall change was to make it easier to participate in PvP related events, including fighting over Thingwalls.
If you want people to participate in PvP more often, please look how to make the PvP more attractive for more players (while keeping in mind that in-game variables are only means, not purposes, and by itself are useless in the real world).

It doesn't look (at least for me) like the game is full of people wishing to fight, placed too far from each other. Rather, players themselves dislike and try to avoid current PvP and related mechanics. Perhaps you can even make a survey to see if the difficulty to find PvP would be named among top 3 reasons why H&H players do not engage in it. I don't mean the often mentioned "deaths are too taxing" (they could be more taxing or less, it's not the point), rather that PvP competition is too dependent on time-or-money spent and much less skill-dependent.

I'm afraid what now happens is mostly gankers hunting for slow players, so your intent to increase PvP can, um, turn out to be an increase in unilateral events with predetermined outcome. Sure, that would be PvP events, but... :? kinda shooting your project in the foot.
Agrik

Postby fuffens1 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:17 am

Maybe tracking could cause you to not be able to thingwall travel for a few minutes as well, while red-handed is not able to teleport at all. I think converging on a criminal or a goon-squad through thingwalls should be a thing. But maybe being able to locate from 5 different angles in a matter of second is a "bit" busted.
Animal behavior could certainly improve. Beatings will continue until it does. - jorb, January 2018.
fuffens1

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am

fuffens1 wrote:Maybe tracking could cause you to not be able to thingwall travel for a few minutes as well, while red-handed is not able to teleport at all. I think converging on a criminal or a goon-squad through thingwalls should be a thing. But maybe being able to locate from 5 different angles in a matter of second is a "bit" busted.

You'd just send out five different characters, each with their own scent, to different locations before they use it to track.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 am

Why did you make the new fishing line cost 2 string instead of 1? If the issue was that you didn't want generic string to be stored in the creel bag you could've just made them 1:1. Fishing is harder now?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements