Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby Tamalak » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Please don't allow teleporting while red handed. Communities that are wronged deserve to have a chance to actually catch you.
Tamalak

Postby talon00302 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Thingwalls are important and all but where is the deepsea fishing. I feel like the artistic design of this game literally fits this concept.
talon00302

Postby abt79 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:47 pm

s-snailbros...did we just lose?
Last edited by abt79 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abt79

Postby Southpaw » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Tamalak wrote:Please don't allow teleporting while red handed. Communities that are wronged deserve to have a chance to actually catch you.

the sub 20 use cases of this a world (where the hermits try to find you instead of just accepting they're been gooned) do not warrant this
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby overtyped » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 pm

jorb wrote:Lye/Ash/Cauldron changes somewhat inspired by this rudely formulated thread. Kids these days.

If you want rude, where in the seven hells is my lousey and boreing sausages!?
Last edited by loftar on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The really rude thing here was quoting the entire OP
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Astarisk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:thingwalls r gonna b bad when ur getting chased by 10 retards porting from every direction with horses over and over again xd
if they're gonna b bad either way I'd rather the bad version that involves me being able to travel...

Maybe they should make assault (agroing people) a red handed action.... That way people can't leave in the middle of a fight and abuse thing walls and horses to try to cut off opponents. Seems weird to punish one side (red handed peeps) severely over all participants in combat.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 pm

jorb wrote:Okay, we'll revert the Thingwall change for now to discuss it in person tomorrow. Still leaning in favor of it, but listening to the discussion.

1 page of complaints gets you to revert and think through this, but 15 pages and dozens of thread about other things wont get even 1 reply or comment!

To make it possible to travel to thingwalls that have fights in them, maybe you should be able to activate some quite expensive hearth magic to get a buff, that allows you to travel while redhanded, then you would get the cost refunded if you get to a thingwall that is challenged within some certain time limit or something. So this buff would only make sense to use when traveling to such events.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 pm

I don't think anyone who is red-handed will ever be chased over brook and field. The normal case is rather smash something while the offended is offline, and retire behind the safety of multiple wall layers.

The Red-Handed debuff places a cost on opportunistic raiding of bashable walls, and I like it for that, but I am not convinced it accomplishes much more. That cost is not an order of magnitude different from the cost of having to walk to the nearest TW to get home.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:54 pm

Astarisk wrote:Maybe they should make assault (agroing people) a red handed action....

Could consider. Thingwall convergence sounds slightly cancerous, and this could be a reasonable fix for that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby KotMroku1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:56 pm

jorb wrote:The argument for the Thingwall change was to make it easier to participate in PvP related events, including fighting over Thingwalls. Yes, it makes tracking harder, presumably, but you can track to Hearth. Given that charter stones allowed travel while red-handed, IIRC, it seemed an established precedent. Open to having my mind changed.

Make it so fights over Thingwalls and such (Meteorites) are considered legitimate rather than breach of heart law, since you're going with the whole "Thing" thing, and have a whole "Holmgang" system where people volunteer to fights beforehand and any combat between them is not unlawful, but is instead honorable combat. One can still try to cheat the system and initiate unlawful combat around it, but then they have to deal with being "Red Handed".
I understand there are other issues to this that would need solving (no crime means no scent and no tracking the other side) and programming issues, but it seems like a solution and one that very much fits into your Nordic themes and keeps the existing crime system without changes except the Realm PvP element.
KotMroku1

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements