Game Development: Roe Stuffed Fixes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Roe Stuffed Fixes

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:If you do the gate change, just make sure that it requires claim rights as well as the master key.

Changing and removing locks already work by the normal permission checking mechanisms. I think this mechanic should work consistently with how they do.

So you're saying that anyone who stole master key can freely remove all the visitor's gates from said base making it absolutely defenceless and that would be intended behavior? Cool change indeed.

It's the opposite of that

You'd need claim rights to change the locks/gate type, even if you have the stolen master key
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:12 am

jordancoles wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:So you're saying that anyone who stole master key can freely remove all the visitor's gates from said base making it absolutely defenceless and that would be intended behavior? Cool change indeed.

It's the opposite of that

You'd need claim rights to change the locks/gate type, even if you have the stolen master key

Well, I do understand what YOU'RE saying, but I don't see confirmation of this in loftar's post. Anyway, making these changes this late, when almost noone left to report about said infiltrations and giving griefers enough practice to infiltrate secretly is definitely not the best choice.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:40 am

All gates starting out as visitor gates, and having to find some secret right click menu will probably help new players a lot by giving them extra time to figure out the concepts behind different kinds of gates before somebody notices they're raidable.

I can't help but feel like the whole system of visitor gates, normal gates, locks, key types, and entry directions is a bit complicated for new players considering its never really explained. I mean, it probably is in some textbox somewhere nobody ever reads. I don't have a better idea regardless
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby KwonChiMin » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:30 pm

jorb wrote:[*] We would like to change Visitor Gates so that, rather than building gates as Visitor Gates, you can set them as such while you have a master key for the gate, and with a somewhat significant casting time. We think making that change should be mostly fine, but it may invalidate certain security arrangements that people may have (presently unknown infiltrators with master keys being able to flip visitor gates to normal gates, for example), so we figured we'd run this by the community first. Feel free to opine.

Maybe leave it as it is now (when you can initially build both type of gates) but ADD the ability to change the gate type with master key and cast timer?
I can see some situations when it will help remodel the base without the need to destroy walls.
KwonChiMin

Postby JinxDevona » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I can't help but feel like the whole system of visitor gates, normal gates, locks, key types, and entry directions is a bit complicated for new players considering its never really explained. I mean, it probably is in some textbox somewhere nobody ever reads. I don't have a better idea regardless

Coming from someone who knew nothing of visitor's gates when I returned, I would have made the normal gate if I did not have the prior knowledge to look things up in the RoB Wiki beforehand. We have to remember that new players might not always flock to the forums and therefore find out such things. I don't think the keys and such are complicated with the tooltips if they are in vanilla (I use Ender), they are pretty self-explanatory. This game has always been about learning by screwing up/dying and I think it will always be that way, or I would suggest little noob pop ups or something when you click on certain things the first time like palis, keys, etc. I mean hey, we didn't even have that liitle noob starting area back in the day...lol. Figuring this game out is half the fun. There are no warnings to stay away from agro animals or which ones are agro. There are no warnings not to eat certain things. Not to mine without supports unless you know the strategy. How to trade safely without getting killed, or even how to fight.

SnuggleSnail wrote:All gates starting out as visitor gates, and having to find some secret right click menu will probably help new players a lot by giving them extra time to figure out the concepts behind different kinds of gates before somebody notices they're raidable.

I fully agree with your suggestion that if they do this the default gate should be a visitor's gate, just in case of those who don't know yet. Not sure about a "secret" flower menu to change it though.
Sorry for the less common point of view, but it is the only one I have ;P
JinxDevona

Postby Barbamaus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:13 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:So you're saying that anyone who stole master key can freely remove all the visitor's gates from said base making it absolutely defenceless and that would be intended behavior? Cool change indeed.

If you went outside your base with a master key, that's your fault. And if they stole it from inside, it means there's already a way in without going through a visitor gate.

Everyone who knows how gates work already keeps master keys ALWAYS inside the base, and most of the time on vault alts that are only logged in when the master key is necessary.

The only master key that you sometimes take out is snekk/knarr, but those have nothing to do with this topic.
Barbamaus

Postby iamahh » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:12 pm

jorb wrote:[*] "Irrlight"s should now show on the minimap.

irrlantern legalized wooo
iamahh

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:49 pm

loftar wrote:
Southpaw wrote:i figured you guys abandoned the fuck out of that idea since i haven't read anything since it was mentioned

No, it's not that we've abandoned it, it's just that it's a fairly abstract idea, and we haven't managed to bring it down to something concrete and implementable yet. If anything, I'm pretty excited to get working on it, but that presupposes a workable plan for it, and it has been a bit of a tough nut.

just turn it into a tutorial it has all the features to help new players figure the game out, while youre at it also add combat discoveries in to it so we dont have to kill 20k animals to get all moves 5/5.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 am

Barbamaus wrote:

If you went outside your base with a master key, that's your fault. And if they stole it from inside, it means there's already a way in without going through a visitor gate.

Everyone who knows how gates work already keeps master keys ALWAYS inside the base, and most of the time on vault alts that are only logged in when the master key is necessary.

The only master key that you sometimes take out is snekk/knarr, but those have nothing to do with this topic.

Everyone who knows how gates work alredy fine with how they work. The proposed changes are targeted on those who can't figure out the system, and obviously you should put yourself in their place while asking, instead of coming here to show how smart are you (also that's pretty useless, because noone give a fuck about you)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm

Lol 'member when there was only "master" keys? I lost a village to someone taking their keys out in legacy.

It's pretty consistent across the board to keep Master keys indoors. Even for wagons and boats. If you want to help new players, maybe add a "white-text" notification that they have a master key on them when passing through gates. I'd make this togglable for the experienced players sakes though.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements