Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby jorb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:28 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Memories of Place", ancestral prayer. Restores knowledge of all Thingwalls visited by your immediate ancestor.
  • Added "Memories of Kin", ancestral prayer. Restores the memory of all characters memorized by your immediate ancestor, but not their Kin status.
  • Added "Memories of War", ancestral prayer. Restores, per prayer, one tier of all Combat Moves previously known by your immediate ancestor.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Added variable materials to "Ropewalk"s. They will now visually show graphical influence from the wood types from which they were made.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Redrew the final icons under the "Toggles" menu in higher resolution.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $9, is the "Oil Magnate's Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$9 This hat was there when WTI crude dropped below zero, and had a brimful delivered by tanker.

All Gold subscribers have been awarded the "Oil Magnate's Hat", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We are considering disabling seasons. Winter (and spring) remove a fair bit of content -- whole core game loops -- we have no easy fix for that, and it seems to hurt a fair bit more than intended. We're considering reworking seasonality to be a map local thing, rather than a server wide event, but that is a bigger project. Eternal summer? Let us know what you think.
  • We are working on a conversation system for quest givers, which is currently our bigger project (tm). Making progress, but patches may not be weekly.
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • Our primary development direction is toward object-controlled-objects.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:30 pm

How about adding Memories of Discovery or something which restores all discoveries of items.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 pm

shubla wrote:How about adding Memories of Discovery or something which restores all discoveries of items.

We considered that, but honestly thought that enough people would prefer the extra LP gained from rediscovering everything that it might just be a noob trap.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mulamishne » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 pm

NOT BAD

removing seasons could be good, winter and spring suck for gameplay
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:32 pm

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:How about adding Memories of Discovery or something which restores all discoveries of items.

We considered that, but honestly thought that enough people would prefer the extra LP gained from rediscovering everything that it might just be a noob trap.

Could just separate discovery LP from craft discoveries.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 pm

shubla wrote:Could just separate discovery LP from craft discoveries.

I think it would be quite ugly to maintain what is effectively two separate lists of discoveries just to support this relatively small mechanic.
loftar

Postby Phaen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:37 pm

Hate not growing crops in winter, but I like being able to tell whether a place has been active by seeing if their crops are withered.
You wouldn't need to remove winter if you had some sort of greenhouse that could be heated by coal in the winter.

The main thing I hate about spring is not having tree cones yet. Can't we get tree cones in spring? :cry:
Phaen

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:38 pm

GOOD PATCH but pls just give me all combat not 1 tier why add extra steps.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm

Phaen wrote:Hate not growing crops in winter, but I like being able to tell whether a place has been active by seeing if their crops are withered.
You wouldn't need to remove winter if you had some sort of greenhouse that could be heated by coal in the winter.

We've certainly considered greenhouses, but winter has many more problems than just not being able to grow crops. For example, foraging, and mapping areas that are only full of snow.

If we only wanted to maintain the ability to tell inactive settlements, we could just make the withering a natural process on the same order of length of time that it takes a pclaim to fully discharge.
loftar

Postby strpk0 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm

Appreciate the QoL prayers, seems like a decent compromise for avoiding unnecessary tedium. Not sure about the costs since I can't seem to find the prayers but I'm sure they're worth it regardless.

As for seasons, I agree with disabling them for now, just please remember to be mindful of the quests/credos that ask for seasonal items.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Next

Return to Announcements