Game Development: Harvest Skis

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Harvest Skis

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:25 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Wilderness Skis". Craft, mount, hit the powder. Can be carried on the back much like a "Coracle".
  • Forest and Pave type tiles now have their own snow map textures, leaving the terrain more differentiated during winter.
  • One winter specific curiosity added.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Using the "Dig" command, you can now remove ice from shallow water using an axe.
  • Removed (effectively, at least) the timer from harvesting crops.
  • Scythes now harvest 2x3 tiles in front of the character per swipe.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Pepper now gives "Bum Burn" for each peppered food item eaten rather than 10% of the time.
  • The base effect of pepper at Q10 increased from a 25% FEP bonus to a 50% bonus.
  • The "Grind Pepper" recipe now gives, randomly, between 3 and 5 units of pepper, rather than one.
  • Saplings now die after 24 RL hours, rather than 8.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $9, is the "Hatter's Top".

Store Description wrote:Image$9 Stolen away from some long forgotten tea party, in a garden strange.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Hatter's Top", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • As you may be able to surmise, we decided, in regards to the question we asked last week, to leave seasons in, at least for now, and take the opportunity to make changes aiming at making them more palatable. We appreciate all input given, sympathize with both sides of the argument, and have nuanced views on the matter. Feel free to opine about spring. Does spring have other problems besides the lack of tree seeds?
  • We are working on a conversation system for quest givers, which is currently our bigger project (tm). Making progress, but patches may not be weekly.
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • Our primary development direction is toward object-controlled-objects.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Harvest Skis

Postby WESKERBOY » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:27 pm

yeaaaaa first one biatches (no ofense) GREAT SEASONS STAY! good development for winter keep up the good work!
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Postby 26dollar » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:29 pm

wtf tedium was removed THIS IS LITERALLY THE MOST UPDATE EVAR
26dollar

Postby Gray » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:31 pm

Seasons definitely need to be expanded upon but the mechanic of localized seasons is quite interesting.

Will farmers migrate temporarily to keep increasing their crops Q?
Will hunters follow the winter for big game?
Will foragers keep up with autumn for mushrooms?
Gray

Postby Laharal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Banzai to the new update and for the upcoming developments. Sounds awesome!
Laharal

Postby Asgaroth22 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 pm

jorb wrote:Forest and Pave type tiles now have their own snow map textures, leaving the terrain more differentiated during winter.

That is useful. Hopefully that alleviates some of the incentive to remove seasons.
jorb wrote:Using the "Dig" command, you can now remove ice from shallow water using an axe.
Removed (effectively, at least) the timer from harvesting crops.
Scythes now harvest 2x3 tiles in front of the character per swipe.

Not sure what the timer from harvesting crops part means, but the scythe change is nice to have. Reminds me of harvest moon / stardew valley tool upgrades, and that just gives me a warm feeling in my heart.
jorb wrote:Pepper now gives "Bum Burn" for each peppered food item eaten rather than 10% of the time.
The base effect of pepper at Q10 increased from a 25% FEP bonus to a 50% bonus.
The "Grind Pepper" recipe now gives, randomly, between 3 and 5 units of pepper, rather than one.

This won't make much difference this world, but decreasing pepper farming tedium is a step in the right direction
Last edited by Asgaroth22 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Redlaw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:39 pm

Would love to see some crops grow faster during some seasons. Pumpkins would grow faster in fall, leaks would grow faster in spring ect...
Redlaw

Postby strpk0 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 pm

I honestly would suggest removing the ability to sprinkle pepper on foods entirely rather than this.

I assume the goal with this update was to both make pepper more accessible and enticing to people who don't use bots, and also reduce how much of it is needed to eat optimally (which is respectable), but I suspect some newer/less experienced players might be tempted to take it too far and end up dying the next time they get attacked by an animal or someone else. The game isn't exactly clear about how the wound scales as you continue to eat peppered foods, and now it's a guaranteed thing rather than a 10% chance.

I think the increased pepper yield might be good enough on its own, for making those certain food items that benefit from pepper being used as an ingredient.

Other than that, nice and interesting update, always good to see tedium removed from the game.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:46 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Pepper now gives "Bum Burn" for each peppered food item eaten rather than 10% of the time.
[*] The base effect of pepper at Q10 increased from a 25% FEP bonus to a 50% bonus.
[*] The "Grind Pepper" recipe now gives, randomly, between 3 and 5 units of pepper, rather than one.

Most pepper goes into cooking food, not putting it on top of food, so the first thing doesn't really do that much to alleviate how much pepper is required. 3-5 times more pepper is still not enough for the consumption to be feasible for a human to make.

Good changes, but grind pepper should give 100x more than what it was before, no one wants to farm pepper, and trellises are still cancer, it's still only going to be botted. I'd still rather pepper AND TRUFFLES get removed. Or nerfed to a 5% bonus, can't cook into food, and made way more spammable.

Also whale still op.
DDDsDD999

Postby kirion » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 pm

Can't test it since all my crops are already harvested, but here's a question :

If i harvest a carrot surrounded by a mix of hemps and carrots, will i only harvest the carrots or both, indiscriminately of the initial plant?
I'm asking because sometimes i could have a few different plants together and might not want to harvest a close-by plant by error.

Otherwise i love this change! :D
kirion

Next

Return to Announcements