Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby dafels » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:20 am

just make the criminals pay their price jorb and loftar
dafels

Postby dafels » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am

anyone feeling insecure enough to discuss their idea/suggestion in public and is using pms instead, should be disregarded by jorb tbh
dafels

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am

VDZ wrote:
Pommfritz wrote:you could post your coords here and see how optional steel is ^^

Fully optional. With the stat difference, it doesn't make any difference and I'd be curbstomped whether I was naked or in top tier combat gear. If anything, steel armor would make it take longer for me to be KOed, meaning you'd cause bigger openings and perform more attacks in the fight and thus deal more HHP damage to me; I'd be better off getting KOed without armor.

Ok imagine you went out foraging and found 3 chantrelles and an ant queen. A wild outlaw appears. How do you get your bag home more likely?
a) naked
b) with top tier steel pvp gear
Pommfritz

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 am

VDZ wrote:
Pommfritz wrote:you could post your coords here and see how optional steel is ^^

Fully optional. With the stat difference, it doesn't make any difference and I'd be curbstomped whether I was naked or in top tier combat gear. If anything, steel armor would make it take longer for me to be KOed, meaning you'd cause bigger openings and perform more attacks in the fight and thus deal more HHP damage to me; I'd be better off getting KOed without armor.

You would 100% die if your opponent guessed your hp correctly which isnt hard to do considering majority of hermits are around the 200/300 hp
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby telum12 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:27 am

I've bashed and killed way more because of redhand than I would have otherwise. It usually goes like this:

1. Go out hunting
2. See person, attack
3. Hmm redhand, I was going to go do x but I guess I can run around for a bit
4. Oh base with bad pwalls, bash everything
5. Hmm another hour, let's run around
6. A person, kill

and so on.

It usually extended my outings more than I intended, and at the end I either semi-afk an hour or, if in a time-crunch, KO.

And you're totally right by the way, more pvp was had. Although it was the badly-equiped nab-killing pvp.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby VDZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:11 am

wonder-ass wrote:You would 100% die if your opponent guessed your hp correctly which isnt hard to do considering majority of hermits are around the 200/300 hp

Then every single person who's KOed me sucks at guessing. Or, more likely, they don't feel the need to escalate battery/theft to murder. I haven't been killed by a player since legacy (not counting end-of-the-world events).

Pommfritz wrote:Ok imagine you went out foraging and found 3 chantrelles and an ant queen. A wild outlaw appears. How do you get your bag home more likely?
a) naked
b) with top tier steel pvp gear

A, without a doubt (though nettle gear is even better). Have you ever hermited before? Your strongest weapon is stealth. You're never going to win in actual battle, so the optimal strategy is to not seem worth looting. This goes beyond foraging; I've gone through the effort of 'noobing up' my base before to avoid unwanted attention. The best way to handle a conflict as the weaker party is to just not get into the conflict at all.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:30 am

If my group chased you 5v1 in spars for 2 or 3 hours while giving you pointers you would be able to escape 98% of people consistently, and the other 2% inconsistently. Stats/armor give you a bigger leeway for fucking up, but they're not even really that necessary beyond a reasonable point. If you've played this game for a long time and you haven't learned how to run IMO you're actively choosing to be a victim considering how easy it is.

To be fair, having competent people to spar/teach is unrealistic for most people. Coming up with a way to tutorialize running / give the plebs an opportunity to practice verse. the equivalent of competent players would be one of the biggest boons this game could receive.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DoctorCookie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:48 am

dafels wrote:anyone feeling insecure enough to discuss their idea/suggestion in public and is using pms instead, should be disregarded by jorb tbh

Bad take TBH. Most people don't want to get caught up in the circle jerk or feel strange dealing in constant profanity.
DoctorCookie

Postby VDZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If my group chased you 5v1 in spars for 2 or 3 hours while giving you pointers you would be able to escape 98% of people consistently, and the other 2% inconsistently. Stats/armor give you a bigger leeway for fucking up, but they're not even really that necessary beyond a reasonable point. If you've played this game for a long time and you haven't learned how to run IMO you're actively choosing to be a victim considering how easy it is.

If you're a PvPer, sure. But I carry 6 liters of water with me at most. At some point it'll run out and I get raped anyways. I'm not going to constantly carry a full belt and half an inventory of watersacks/flasks for the rare situation where I get attacked by a player.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am

Is fights lasting for 3 hours mostly just chasing around fun?
What if combat system was changed so that you could prevent this? Either make escaping more easy or more difficult, so that battles would be resolved in shorter time.

I have memories of escaping in legacy in a boat for long time periods, once I boated around a small island in some isolated lake for many hours..

No other game has system like this where going into fight means possibly 2-3 or more hours of just running around.

In legacy "hey come out for spar training" was mostly running 4 hours in the forest, sipping q90 water and eating sausages.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements