Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Pommfritz wrote:
Astarisk wrote: and let's not forget about walls being able to cascade from non-claimed land to claim land.

I like those suggestions but I think that's not true, at least 2 times I tried that but it always stopped cascading at the claim borders. If that's incorrect please correct me xd

At some point there was a bug, exploit, quirk... where you extended off claim then waited for some soak to build on the pallisade. After a certain point the cascading would chain from fresh to fully soaked. Or something like that not sure if still live but sounds like maybe fixed.

The suggestions about quarry would be cool. Tie it to a reward from quarryman, so its after the usefulness of it to the credo goes away.
Trellis like roundpole fences would be nice as well.
pawnchito

Postby Jalpha » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:41 pm

I think that in a couple of weeks after most sprucecaps turn on their alarms and port on unknown player mods then there will be a waterfall of wahh nerf escapes, escapes are too powerful. Like we have seen in the past.

Just take proper precautions when outside your walls.

It removes the social element from wandering the wilds and pushes it to situations where at least one player is behind a palisade. Or in a public town.

It's meant to be dangerous outside your walls. I don't think this change will mean much but I will watch the moot in interest.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:47 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:murdering nabs has never been so easy. thanks jorb i always hated slaughtering a nab and having to wait for an hour or ko myself this makes it so much easier

I lived with you this world, and I'm PRETTY SURE you didn't track a red handed person a single time. Likewise, you spent A LOT of time complaining whenever we got to PVP and you'd get stuck afking in sacrear's village for an hour.

You spent years being that retard that kills every person you see, at a time when doing so was easier and had even less punishment. I think it's kinda hypocritical for you to be against this kinda change, especially if you're super in favor of new PVPers emerging.

Most people who get competitive in video games don't decide "I'm going to be competitive", and then just spend 3 years grinding league matches 16 hours a day until they're good. They have fun with the game, and slowly interact with the PVP elements more. It being autistic as fuck to commit minor crimes prolly disincentivizes a lot of new ppl with the PVP mindset from progressing. Have you not noticed how bad the nematode to person-who-might-attack-you-maybe ratio has gotten? You can't sit there and say there was no chance for people like Bleh and I from never entering the "real" PVP sphere if petty crime wasn't a stepping stone. IMO, anything that encourages more people to make a similar progression is rly good for the game.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby dafels » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:53 pm

loftar wrote:By the way, for anyone who cares, the main site is now fully under the protection of the certificate mafia, so that HTTPS should "work" without any certificate modifications.
protected.png

thanks for finally making the traffic more secure for your customers even though it is a basic thing nowadays.
dafels

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:18 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I lived with you this world, and I'm PRETTY SURE you didn't track a red handed person a single time. Likewise, you spent A LOT of time complaining whenever we got to PVP and you'd get stuck afking in sacrear's village for an hour.

You spent years being that retard that kills every person you see, at a time when doing so was easier and had even less punishment. I think it's kinda hypocritical for you to be against this kinda change, especially if you're super in favor of new PVPers emerging.

Most people who get competitive in video games don't decide "I'm going to be competitive", and then just spend 3 years grinding league matches 16 hours a day until they're good. They have fun with the game, and slowly interact with the PVP elements more. It being autistic as fuck to commit minor crimes prolly disincentivizes a lot of new ppl with the PVP mindset from progressing. Have you not noticed how bad the nematode to person-who-might-attack-you-maybe ratio has gotten? You can't sit there and say there was no chance for people like Bleh and I from never entering the "real" PVP sphere if petty crime wasn't a stepping stone. IMO, anything that encourages more people to make a similar progression is rly good for the game.

I have definitely tracked down red handed people numerous times this world and in previous worlds. I don't think I did complain A LOT about this although I can see myself being annoyed by it sometimes, however, I never once thought that redhanded should be removed because of this inconvenience lol so I don't understand how it's relevant.

I spent world 6/7 killing noobs sometimes and most of W7 I was actually hunting down noob killers lol. Pretty much since then it's been pretty rare to kill random nabs and I just killed the odd one shit talking me or something. Most of the time I actually killed noobs I was newer to the game or attacking them to get something from them like tsacks/merch. I was never killing them because I'm a degen like you who gets off on ruining someones day.

There's a lot that should change regarding crime and red-handed sure. I think some crimes should have a smaller debuff than others perhaps, however, red-handed does a lot of good and has encouraged many fights and dissuaded many people from killing noobs (like me and MOST PVP players in top factions). You're not really fooling anyone (Other than Jorb), everyone can see that you're just trying to put up some shitty arguments to make it easier for you to kill nabs 24/7 and ruin the game for people. We just had a lengthy discussion in the HnH discord regarding this and the only people I can even think of who support this change are the ones who want to dunk nabs 24/7 and make them quit the game.

I think removing redhanded could be potentially good if there was a ton of other changes implemented before this to punish crime-committers and advocate for vigilantism. There should also be some restriction perhaps on how easy it is to escape a fight, although, that would likely affect normal PVP in a negative way. It's something that needs a lot more thought than "haha redhand bad i don't like wasting my time after i kill nabs"

ALSO I think the majority of new players interacting with PVP for the first time aren't seeing red-handed as some tedious waste of time but a period of time where they're scared they're going to be punished for their crimes and they're not safe. This obviously isn't the case in a dead world like now, however, when newer players commit crimes in a world where they know they're not at the top they are generally pretty excited during those moments.
Last edited by ChildhoodObesity on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:25 am

To appease redhand enjoyers what if scents were exactly like troll eyes u can watch where they are and where they go limited by charges would make leaving scents spooky and give some more meaning to having high stealth int. Also would allow you to not waste time going after someone in a safe pali and instead track them when they are out boating or w/e.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:27 am

wonder-ass wrote:To appease redhand enjoyers what if scents were exactly like troll eyes u can watch where they are and where they go limited by charges would make leaving scents spooky and give some more meaning to having high stealth int. Also would allow you to not waste time going after someone in a safe pali and instead track them when they are out boating or w/e.

That sounds VERY COOL imo
ChildhoodObesity

Postby pawnchito » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:31 am

jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

[*] Fixed the logout menu added in the last patch such that it should now take effect even if you are offline. For example, if you have crashed, your KO:ed character should port home when waking up, if able.

This is the single most poggers thing imo. One small tweak pretty please. Can we get the opportunity to change our our selection before we get KO'd in toggles or somewhere. If I had previously set it to stand in one spot I have to be KO'd to get the chance to change it to hearth me home next time right?
pawnchito

Postby Jalpha » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:43 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:advocate for vigilantism

Something interesting could be done with this. There really is no incentive for avenging nubs and a lot of risk.

I don't know what though and can't commit to thinking of something or even if it's relevant. My mind is in other places.

I thought it was a good point though.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 am

wonder-ass wrote:To appease redhand enjoyers what if scents were exactly like troll eyes u can watch where they are and where they go limited by charges would make leaving scents spooky and give some more meaning to having high stealth int. Also would allow you to not waste time going after someone in a safe pali and instead track them when they are out boating or w/e.

that would actually be cool.

ChildhoodObesity wrote:I have definitely tracked down red handed people numerous times this world and in previous worlds. I don't think I did complain A LOT about this although I can see myself being annoyed by it sometimes, however, I never once thought that redhanded should be removed because of this inconvenience lol so I don't understand how it's relevant.

I spent world 6/7 killing noobs sometimes and most of W7 I was actually hunting down noob killers lol. Pretty much since then it's been pretty rare to kill random nabs and I just killed the odd one shit talking me or something. Most of the time I actually killed noobs I was newer to the game or attacking them to get something from them like tsacks/merch. I was never killing them because I'm a degen like you who gets off on ruining someones day.

There's a lot that should change regarding crime and red-handed sure. I think some crimes should have a smaller debuff than others perhaps, however, red-handed does a lot of good and has encouraged many fights and dissuaded many people from killing noobs (like me and MOST PVP players in top factions). You're not really fooling anyone (Other than Jorb), everyone can see that you're just trying to put up some shitty arguments to make it easier for you to kill nabs 24/7 and ruin the game for people. We just had a lengthy discussion in the HnH discord regarding this and the only people I can even think of who support this change are the ones who want to dunk nabs 24/7 and make them quit the game.

I think removing redhanded could be potentially good if there was a ton of other changes implemented before this to punish crime-committers and advocate for vigilantism. There should also be some restriction perhaps on how easy it is to escape a fight, although, that would likely affect normal PVP in a negative way. It's something that needs a lot more thought than "haha redhand bad i don't like wasting my time after i kill nabs"

ALSO I think the majority of new players interacting with PVP for the first time aren't seeing red-handed as some tedious waste of time but a period of time where they're scared they're going to be punished for their crimes and they're not safe. This obviously isn't the case in a dead world like now, however, when newer players commit crimes in a world where they know they're not at the top they are generally pretty excited during those moments.

I think if you just don't harm people because you don't have the power to do so that's pretty fucked up and you are actually more hypocritical than anything else. If you are a "good person" this red hand change shouldn't affect your actions towards naps in the game at all.
The outcome of the hnh discord discussion was that red handed was an unfulfilling mechanic but there sort of has to be some punishment for crime, nevermind it was full of people who actually don't play the game or play farm simulator 24/7 but there were some good ideas for example to remove noob traps, what I quoted earlier. Also I think most naps die or lose their base because they get tricked to leave their pali/ protection or simply don't yet understand how to build their base safely(see The Moot threads) . There is just very little you can do if someone is behind a pali with locks and secured mineholes. IF you find someone out in the wild, well happens but that's so fucking rare lmao and to be expected to encounter pvp as well.
I'm pretty new, I started playing like 3 months ago. Other than Snail trying to kill me on an alt in a friendly pvp match I don't get any other pvp experience than breaking into unsecured places and ko'ing naps which results in derping around for an hour. I litterally get red handed every time I do a credo quest it's fucking annoying because 90% of the time the place is just unsecured and noone is there and will not be there in the next month. So I just sit in their mine for 1h or do more credos with red handed which is the best outcome. The only thing that happens when I'm red handed is that I bring my alt on a boat to port the loot home quicker or watch netfilx because I'm bored otherwise. But you are right the very first time it was somewhat exciting to be red handed until you notice noone actually is able to find scents within an hour (mainly bc I drop scents on semi abandoned places).

But I think I fully agree that there needs to be punishment for actual crime or griefing, just not red handed bs
Last edited by Pommfritz on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pommfritz

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements