Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Merry Igloo!

Postby Gargot » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:12 am

I would like new world start with this new ideas, world 14 when?
Gargot

Postby mvgulik » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:03 pm

>Added "Igloo", building made from snow. It will melt in spring!

Even on permanent snow covered mountain ?

>Added some Road building QoL. ...

Nice to have ... even if its just a bare bones single horizontal line implementation ... that's hovering above the ground somewhere in a 3d environment.
I personally would at least have added a initial vertical line so its at least unmistakably clear where on the ground the start point is located.
Looking at the bee-hive range circle ... I probably would have tried to use something similar to draw that line.

(* wonders how it will work out on none flat terrain ... *)
mvgulik

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:16 pm

As someone who frequently gets stuck with roadbuilding during early world: Thank you <3
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:27 pm

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:Maybe not on your own trails. But some passerby might follow them etc. which is what I think loftar is looking for here.

Indeed.

Is there a good reason why it can't be changed so people can just teleport along the road segments, so we can do away with the nonsense? I always just bash and make an initial post to teleport along if I care anyway.
DDDsDD999

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:31 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Is there a good reason why it can't be changed so people can just teleport along the road segments, so we can do away with the nonsense? I always just bash and make an initial post to teleport along if I care anyway.

That is the issue. The mechanic is so easily circumvented with a stone axe and water that it's pointless as a deterrent for anyone looking to meaningfully do harm.

If stone roads could only have stone road ends, that would make it *slightly* better, but still the same issue tbh.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Tammer » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Does plum pudding require yesteryear fruit? I can't figure out what I'm missing from the recipe.

Edit: I got it. Taking brandy from a barrel with a cup or bucket doesn't re-trigger the discovery. You need to make it again in a still.
Tammer

Postby shubla » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Igloos shouldn't melt on mountains.
Also you should be able to build igloo even on uneven grounds (such as in the mountain). After all, you can assemble the blocks in a way that it becomes rigid even with a bit uneven ground?
Would make them plenty more useful.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby razfen » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:28 pm

shubla wrote:Igloos shouldn't melt on mountains.
After all, you can assemble the blocks in a way that it becomes rigid even with a bit uneven ground?

The same can be said for regular houses. Just scaffold it up a little bit.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby Teilur » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:26 pm

While holding an item and right-clicking a container, you can now hold Alt to only take from the container, rather than first attempting to transfer to the container. Useful, for example, when you want to light a branch on a fireplace without first filling the fireplace up with fuel (e.g. branches).

Very stupid fix that breaks good user experience. Most custom clients allow to fill the container with items from player's inventory until either the container is full or no legit items left in inventory. It was most used to fill the containers - e.g. fill steel crucibles or food throughs or compost bins. Need I say that it all involved a simple alt+shift+rclick combo? Now this useful, everyday-use and well-known feature is broken in favor of some rare niche action.

Of course, in some days there will be a fix for this in most clients. Of course, most players will eventually adapt (it would be painful though - re-learn the action you get used to for several years). But could you do some research at least and consult players BEFORE you implement such changes?

I would even suggest using some popular custom clients to learn how this game is played - but that obviously would be in vain...
Teilur

Postby VDZ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:29 pm

shubla wrote:Igloos shouldn't melt on mountains.
Also you should be able to build igloo even on uneven grounds (such as in the mountain). After all, you can assemble the blocks in a way that it becomes rigid even with a bit uneven ground?
Would make them plenty more useful.

razfen wrote:The same can be said for regular houses. Just scaffold it up a little bit.

Devs: I don't know why everyone insists on having their base be perfectly flat.
Also devs: The ground is not flat enough.

Bonus points for already having paved the ground and having to undo the paving before you can terraform to fix the issue.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements