A Plea for Moderation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:30 pm

jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:04 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:Image

I'm afraid.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Genuine Concern About Moderation

Postby BoxingRock » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:17 pm

Why are silly shitpost and socializing threads in the "General offtopic and Socializing" subforum being removed after being allowed for months?

but hate-speech posts like these are being allowed to stay?

Last edited by BoxingRock on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby ThymeToChime » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:05 pm

I'm also confused as to why our group's recruitment thread (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=72788) was deleted. While we have a few interviews scheduled, we still have an open slot for an lwjgl dev, and to delete the thread before we've offered the position to anyone is very odd.
ThymeToChime

Re: Genuine Concern About Homophobic Moderation

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:25 pm

BoxingRock wrote:Let me preface by saying that this is 100% serious.

Why are silly shitpost and socializing threads in the "General offtopic and Socializing" subforum being removed after being allowed for months?

2 things changed about this thread in the last few days;

1. a single problem forum user, Jalpha, began making aggressive flaming posts, discussing disturbing topics and and making blatant hatespeech posts.

ex.
    (please note that this user has a massive, massive forum history filled with blatant hatespeech that has gone largely ignored and unmoderated for YEARS and I and many other people would be willing to aid the moderator team in sifting through his endless shitposts to find the 100s of examples of extreme hatespeech, racism and attempts to get reactions with extreme antisocial opinions.

2. The thread name was switched and the general topic was switched to facilitate a pro-LGBT discussion

I am genuinely curious and a little bit worried about why only 1 one these actions were moderated. The pro-gay posts were literally manually removed by mods, but the hatespeech remains. Only 1 of these things appears in the rule section. Hatespeech is deemed as inappropriate content directly in the rules and Jalpha has a long, long, long history of entering threads to derail them with his hatespeech. Meanwhile, the creator of the Its every Gay Bro thread was reprimanded and had his posts cherrypicked and deleted while jalpha's forum post history is FILLED with 100% real, 100% against the rules, 100% sickening HATE SPEECH.

Please understand that this is a forum largely filled with adults who are just trying to have a laugh and socialize, and that any attempt to equate the silly, innocent shitposty offtopic socializing with Jalphas extreme HATE SPEECH will be considered a disgusting, transparent attempt to dismiss this serious situation that needs addressing.

NOTE: This is not moderator sass, and not necessarily a negative review of moderator actions. This is an open constructive criticism and questioning derived from extreme confusion over the representation of the rules, the timing of the moderation and the seeming history of homophobic-leaning direction of moderation in general.

I think it would be very fair to make an honest, official reply explaining the reasoning for this out-of-the-blue decision.

I also hereby PLEA FOR MODERATION against Jalpha. There is no reason why he should not be on a permanent curfew for his relentless racism and hatespeech.

You're leaving out quite a few details here. On July 17th, page 12 out of 26, Zentetsuken posted openly provocative mod sass, and he followed up on it on July 19th (page 13). Jalpha took the bait on July 28th (page 17), after which the thread immediately derailed into dogpiling and pedo accusations. The only reference to homosexuality was an unwarranted accusation of people being 'homosexual child groomers' by Jalpha on August 3rd (page 22) until Bumfrog 'officially' turned it into an LGBTQ+ support thread to troll Jalpha (on August 4th, page 23):
bumfrog wrote:Greetings and good evening, Everyday Bros. There are a few matters that today need addressing. It is my belief that the following statements will help every every day be a good one.

On the matter of good/bad posts
  • every bump will be considered good, as constant bumps serve the needs of the thread. We must be doing this every day, at least
  • no post will be officially condemned. Users are welcome to discuss post quality as they see fit, but it is the opinion of the Every Day Team that everyone has a right to post free of punishment

On the matter of homosexuality
  • It is with great honor I announce that Every Day Bro is officially a Gay-Allied thread
  • While we do not have an official partnership with the IAL (Internation Agenda of the LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer, and etc)), we will be contacting Non-Str*ight Representatives as soon as possible
  • We support the inalienable rights of gay peeps to marry, date, intercourse, hold hands, kiss, and otherwise be romantically and sexually relating with individuals of the same gender, and, of course, to make posts here Every Day
  • Every Friday, we will make an official Gay Post. You are welcome to make your own Gay Posts in the Every Day Bro thread whenever you see fit, and thank you to the countless users who have already done so
  • We understand that, even more so than the previous statement against punishing 'bad' posts, this stance might put us in contention with the Hafen Forum's moderation team. This is a risk we are willing to take

Have an excellent rest of your thursday, bros! Hope you're finding respite from this heat wave.

(This was before the post you quoted. #2 happened before #1 did.)

This thread was utterly unsalvageable and it getting Hel'd was absolutely justified. What baffles me more is that a) This didn't happen ages ago as it was heading in this direction for quite a while now, and b) Neither Jalpha nor Zentetsuken seem to have been punished for it. Jalpha is obvious, but Zentetsuken played a major role in intentionally derailing the thread and was openly mocking the moderation even outside 'A Plea For Moderation'.

Also, do you really want to waste the devs' time with this just before the new world starts? I'd much rather have them focus on performing the last preparations for w14 than have them waste time babysitting shitposters on the forum.
VDZ

Re: Genuine Concern About Homophobic Moderation

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm

VDZ wrote:
You're leaving out quite a few details here. On July 17th, page 12 out of 26, Zentetsuken posted openly provocative mod sass, and he followed up on it on July 19th (page 13). Jalpha took the bait on July 28th (page 17), after which the thread immediately derailed into dogpiling and pedo accusations. The only reference to homosexuality was an unwarranted accusation of people being 'homosexual child groomers' by Jalpha on August 3rd (page 22) until Bumfrog 'officially' turned it into an LGBTQ+ support thread to troll Jalpha (on August 4th, page 23):

To call any of this modsass is a very big stretch. It is ridiculous silly memey banter.
It was made in the correct subforum and seemed to consist almost entirely of memey low effort socializing.

I also think it is genuinely insane and dishonest to call any of those posts bait. The thread is harmless memey fun.

VDZ wrote:This thread was utterly unsalvageable and it getting Hel'd was absolutely justified. What baffles me more is that a) This didn't happen ages ago as it was heading in this direction for quite a while now, and b) Neither Jalpha nor Zentetsuken seem to have been punished for it. Jalpha is obvious, but Zentetsuken played a major role in intentionally derailing the thread and was openly mocking the moderation even outside 'A Plea For Moderation'.

Also, do you really want to waste the devs' time with this just before the new world starts? I'd much rather have them focus on performing the last preparations for w14 than have them waste time babysitting shitposters on the forum.

There was no course of discussion to derail, it was just friends posting silly memey shit until jalpha showed up posting hatespeech.
Last edited by Zentetsuken on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zentetsuken

Postby telum12 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:02 pm

Lmao jalpha has called people “faggot” in this thread about moderation and gone on so many homophobic rants without moderative action. I’ve even emailed the devs with screenshot asking about it without reply. I’m not sure they care, or think homophobia falls under hate-speech.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby The_Lich_King » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:50 pm

I can't believe we are acting like we are just now noticing that moderation on this forum is kind of a shitshow.... like it's always been this way, i can't even believe Its Every Gay Now lasted as long as it did.

Moderation has always merely been set by the standard of opinion of the moderators, that's not new. Its surprising to me that alot of people seem upset over this, when this is exactly what I expected based on years of experience.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:48 am

Truly we are posting in the home of phobia
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:26 pm

In other news, I presume this user will turn out to be spambot (expect some sort of external link to be added in those posts in near future.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements