A Plea for Moderation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby VDZ » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Mashadar wrote:I think there's a difference between "politically incorrect" and the n-word.

The only difference between 'nigger' (when not specifically used to address a black person with reference to their ethnicity) and 'asshole', 'motherfucker', 'cocksucker' and similar strong general insults is that political correctness has made the former so taboo you cannot even mention the word when discussing the word itself anymore. Last I checked - and again, this could be a change in moderation policy - insults do not get removed on this forum, let alone get people banned, with only the occasional exception for posts that exist only to insult another poster and which do not contribute anything (which sadly does not get enforced consistently).

I'm not one to use the N-word outside of a linguistical context myself (or when discussing the pointlessness of taboos), but it would be nice to have some clarity here. Is the use of politically incorrect words that get mainstream condemnation now considered 'hate speech' as per forum rule 4? (And if so, would the same apply if someone called something 'gay' or called someone a 'fag', both of which used to be common on the internet until relatively recently?) Or are direct insults to posters now something to be avoided? Neither used to be against the rules previously as far as I'm aware.

Also,
Mashadar wrote:But that word is clearly always insulting.

This isn't true; for instance, saying 'my nigger' tends to be a positive phrase indicating familiarity or affection in crude contexts. It's often (but not always) spelled 'nigga' when used as such, though. (Compare with 'motherfucker' also mentioned above, which is generally insulting but can be used as praise for boldness, e.g. a 'badass motherfucker'.)
VDZ

Postby Clemins » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:25 pm

VDZ wrote:A Wikipedia article

Clemins

Postby WowGain » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:45 pm

VDZ wrote: :?

Are you really fucking doing this right now
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:09 pm

VDZ wrote:
Mashadar wrote:I think there's a difference between "politically incorrect" and the n-word.

The only difference between 'nigger' (when not specifically used to address a black person with reference to their ethnicity) and 'asshole', 'motherfucker', 'cocksucker' and similar strong general insults is that political correctness has made the former so taboo you cannot even mention the word when discussing the word itself anymore. Last I checked - and again, this could be a change in moderation policy - insults do not get removed on this forum, let alone get people banned, with only the occasional exception for posts that exist only to insult another poster and which do not contribute anything (which sadly does not get enforced consistently).

I'm not one to use the N-word outside of a linguistical context myself (or when discussing the pointlessness of taboos), but it would be nice to have some clarity here. Is the use of politically incorrect words that get mainstream condemnation now considered 'hate speech' as per forum rule 4? (And if so, would the same apply if someone called something 'gay' or called someone a 'fag', both of which used to be common on the internet until relatively recently?) Or are direct insults to posters now something to be avoided? Neither used to be against the rules previously as far as I'm aware.

Also,

This isn't true; for instance, saying 'my nigger' tends to be a positive phrase indicating familiarity or affection in crude contexts. It's often (but not always) spelled 'nigga' when used as such, though. (Compare with 'motherfucker' also mentioned above, which is generally insulting but can be used as praise for boldness, e.g. a 'badass motherfucker'.)

This entire post is objectively more out of touch, insulting to the reader and magnitudes more indicative of somebody who "needs time off" than somebody who just drops the n bomb in a meme thread for a reaction.
Zentetsuken

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:44 pm

When you say the N-word, but only in linguistical context

i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby DonVelD » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:48 pm

VDZ wrote:

Also,

I thought dutch people didn't care about the word. Aren't you from the Netherlands man?
Last edited by DonVelD on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:55 pm

DonVelD wrote:
VDZ wrote:

Also,

I thought dutch people didn't care about the word. Aren't you from the Niggerlands man?

Balsy to say literally in the moderation chat.

Before reading this i never thought i'd miss a time when granger was mod. I think alot more bans need to be handed out.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:12 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:Balsy to say literally in the moderation chat.

Before reading this i never thought i'd miss a time when granger was mod. I think alot more bans need to be handed out.

My brother in christ, we are on month 15 of a stale world and the forums have been shitposts and chaos for about 80% of it. Wishing for moderation at this point is like wishing for a bullet proof vest after you finish school in America.

Blatant no-context racial slurs barely even register in the grand scale of offensive and moderation-worthy shit that has been posted on this depraved corner of the internet in the last year.
Zentetsuken

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:28 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:Balsy to say literally in the moderation chat.

My brother in christ, we are on month 15 of a stale world and the forums have been shitposts and chaos for about 80% of it. Wishing for moderation at this point is like wishing for a bullet proof vest after you finish school in America.

Blatant no-context racial slurs barely even register in the grand scale of offensive and moderation-worthy shit that has been posted on this depraved corner of the internet in the last year.

You think this is bad, i came back to the game to see the state of the world.... The Anarchy on the forums is tame.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby sMartins » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:12 pm

I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements