A Plea for Moderation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:44 pm

The no sass rule frankly comes across as unprofessional and a vector to disregard legitimate criticism. That was actually my first impression on re-reading the rules after returning from a break in w11. I think sarcasm has a place in critiquing certain behaviours. Harassment should be banned for users and mods alike obviously.

I actually was considering putting my hat in to be a mod. I'm a pretty unknown player and could be non-biased between factions. I don't want to though, I think you need more clear and consistent rules and enforcement as a good foundation first. This place has been under-moderated for awhile and the community perception of enforcement is a mess. Consider a blank slate policy for all non-banned users, as we have players openly harrassing each other as it is, and its hard to tell who instigated it. I have the utmost confidence that if any players are indeed R-words or worse, they'll open their big mouths and get a ban for the privilege.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby WowGain » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 am

Apocoreo wrote:The no sass rule frankly comes across as unprofessional and a vector to disregard legitimate criticism. That was actually my first impression on re-reading the rules after returning from a break in w11. I think sarcasm has a place in critiquing certain behaviours. Harassment should be banned for users and mods alike obviously.

I actually was considering putting my hat in to be a mod. I'm a pretty unknown player and could be non-biased between factions. I don't want to though, I think you need more clear and consistent rules and enforcement as a good foundation first. This place has been under-moderated for awhile and the community perception of enforcement is a mess. Consider a blank slate policy for all non-banned users, as we have players openly harrassing each other as it is, and its hard to tell who instigated it. I have the utmost confidence that if any players are indeed R-words or worse, they'll open their big mouths and get a ban for the privilege.

mod sass rules are always pussy shit that only exist to make the role of internet janitor seem more important than it actually is
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 am

WowGain wrote:mod sass rules are always pussy shit that only exist to make the role of internet janitor seem more important than it actually is

It's there to prevent dumb arguments/lawyering about every moderation decision, esp. uncouth such. Rude complaining -> Right to jail.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MadNomad » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:13 am

shubla wrote:
jorb wrote:Have you tried basic manners and leaving your tourette's at home? Not calling people retarded &c&c?

Don't you see how these certain users are just trolling and trying to cause ruckus? Why you even respond to their messages!
Just look at their post history its all about commenting/attacking other users of forum, no any real contribution to any idea/thread/event etc. whatsoever.

to be honest Shubla seems to be pointing at some common mistake that even reasonable people make here when they respond to trolling, maybe it would be a good idea to take some few month break for some I don't know
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:08 pm

I remember using a forum over a decade ago that had rule "replies to spam are spam."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby WowGain » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 pm

jorb wrote:
WowGain wrote:mod sass rules are always pussy shit that only exist to make the role of internet janitor seem more important than it actually is

It's there to prevent dumb arguments/lawyering about every moderation decision, esp. uncouth such. Rude complaining -> Right to jail.

Not really. Particularly when moderation comes down entirely to "how am I feeling today" without any real adherence to any sort of criteria for acceptable posts it's basically just a way to cover you from criticism of obvious bias and a lack of consistent enforcement of rules.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:29 pm

stalin-2.jpg
stalin-2.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 529 times
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Burinn » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:44 pm

jorb wrote:Image

It's time.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 pm

WowGain wrote:"how am I feeling today" without any real adherence to any sort of criteria for acceptable posts it's basically just a way to cover you from criticism of obvious bias and a lack of consistent enforcement of rules.

There are rules. No, you don't need more specific rules to lawyer around more with. Yes, you can just accept a slap on the wrist and go about your merry day. If there's any doubt, maybe not post. Surely you can make an uncontroversial post, quite simply?

I strongly doubt that you live in mortal fear of the H&H forum NKVD coming to take your posts away.

jorb

Postby bumfrog » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:48 pm

cool, anyway how goes development? Or the new moderator appointments you promised a month ago? Or world 13+1?
bumfrog
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements