Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mulch Embankment

Postby fairystyle » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:53 pm

loftar wrote:
fairystyle wrote:character can not fill that nod

In what way can you not fill it, more exactly?

Sorry, yeah I missed to add some details:
1st picture - nod between scaffold #2 and #3 worked well and created a ridge
2nd picture - I broke scaffolds #1 and #2 to show the nod between pre-existing cliff and newly created one, which didn't want to get filled with soil (more exactly - wouldn't let me step closer, like it did with good working scaffolds)

I guess that's related to natural-artificial cliff transition :roll:
fairystyle

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:57 pm

fairystyle wrote:(more exactly - wouldn't let me step closer, like it did with good working scaffolds)

How so?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby fairystyle » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:05 pm

loftar wrote:
fairystyle wrote:(more exactly - wouldn't let me step closer, like it did with good working scaffolds)

How so?

Tries to run into nod, but ends up stopping there doing nothing I guess
fairystyle

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:06 pm

loftar wrote:

How so?

You literally never played this game long enough to realise how broken cliffs are in terms of movement/pathfinding, have you?
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:08 pm

fairystyle wrote:Tries to run into nod, but ends up stopping there doing nothing I guess

Right, you're trying to drop soil on that exact vertex, causing the character to go into climbing mode.

Admittedly I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere (I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't, and that should probably be fixed), but there is a mechanic by which you can Ctrl+Shift-click with soil on a tile to raise all the four corners of it to the level of the highest corner, and that works by walking to the center of said tile, avoiding the climbing mode. In other words, hold soil, and Ctrl+Shift+Right-click on the green X:
a.png
a.png (316.68 KiB) Viewed 630 times

The same mechanic exists for digging as well, Ctrl+dig-click to level a tile down to the level of the lowest corner.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Schattengaenger » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 pm

Batguano wrote:Need to clarify if world reset happens this year or not. Players can't spend a lot of valuable time on a world that could die next month. Devs you should inform us about that.

exactly because it would kill the remaining player count it will never be announced that much in advance. This and because they don't plan these out that accuratly to give a date for a reset (even a broad one)
They are clearly feeling it possible that they are finishing the next big thing (tm) and once implement ready will likely announce the next world.
Schattengaenger

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:14 pm

loftar wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Is there a method to un-ridge a ride that's pushed up against a wall? If not that kinda makes unsiegeable bases kinda trivial to make

You can always fill the tile next to and below it up with soil until it goes away.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any (reasonable/intended) way to remove this (south facing) cliff
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Dakkan » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:14 pm

The embankments don't work, and I knew they wouldn't because cliffs have always been a mess with surveys and pathfinding. I understand it can be frustrating when people just go "It doesn't work" and give no real feedback, but how can you expect more from us, when it seems you never once tested these?

Also to save everyone else time from bugtesting, don't bother with dirt-dropping on the gridpoints that you can't reach after a cliff appears. It'll just end up raising terrain randomly around the embankment as well, and the structure will rise up with it.

https://i.imgur.com/Fzb59jY.mp4
Again, you can't actually reach the gridpoints to raise them during a survey, so dropping dirt is the only option.

Really funny actually, for something that should have an anchored position.
Last edited by Dakkan on Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dakkan

Postby fairystyle » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:15 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
loftar wrote:

How so?

:D
Last edited by fairystyle on Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
fairystyle

Postby bumfrog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:16 pm

fairystyle wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:
loftar wrote:How so?

You literally never played this game long enough to realise how broken cliffs are in terms of movement/pathfinding, have you?

Your cliff experience compared to mine is literally nothing, no matter what you imagine about it and how hard you try to think that you are somebody in this game

Do you understand how quotes work? He was talking to loftar, not you smh
bumfrog
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements