Prelude: World 14

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 14

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:17 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
VDZ wrote:Only for the purpose of faction PvP. The food system and attributes are relevant to much more than just PvP, tons and tons of PvE content is also affected and it will still be relevant for non-faction PvP between players who don't have absurd qualities.

I'm pretty sure PVE balance for the plebs is going to be affected a lot more by then being able to go to a market a buy a 1k quality set of armor for an inventory of cast iron more than them being able to spend 2 weeks straight making food to outstat something.

I actually agree with this (but in crafting tools and stat-increasing gear - not everything is about combat), if demand for iron is as high as it was back then. Being able to buy everything a hermit could want with just an inventory of q10 cast iron was kinda dumb, it made things too easy; most people however seem to disagree with my view on this so I think it's fine if the majority gets their way on this even in the worst case you're imagining as it takes a while for trade values to get really stupid. But you're deflecting with pure whataboutism, and my point still stands: the food system also has relevance outside of PvP.
VDZ

Postby TheServant » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
VDZ wrote:Only for the purpose of faction PvP. The food system and attributes are relevant to much more than just PvP, tons and tons of PvE content is also affected and it will still be relevant for non-faction PvP between players who don't have absurd qualities.

I'm pretty sure PVE balance for the plebs is going to be affected a lot more by then being able to go to a market a buy a 1k quality set of armor for an inventory of cast iron more than them being able to spend 2 weeks straight making food to outstat something. Kinda retarded take, NGL.

@jorb
Hunger/satiations are only there to balance faction PVP, and they absolutely make the game over-complicated and less fun. I was in favor of them when spiraling wasn't there because it limited the maximum effort you could put into being stronk enabling more people to participate. With spiraling that limit is gone either way. At least hunger should not be in the game. This is not just my opinion. If you think otherwise you are objectively wrong.

Satiations should be more of an open discussion, but IMO with spiraling they're bad too.

Spiraling impact is quite less relevant than hunger. "At least hunger should not be in the game", what?
TheServant

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:28 pm

"At least hunger" as in out of hunger and satiations at least hunger is objectively provides nothing positive to the game, with that only being arguable for satiations.

I mean this in the most polite way possible, but if you think hunger has ever been a relevant force in this game for anybody except noobs you are wrong enough as to invalidate all of your opinions.

During the entire time I've played(started world 10) there has not ever been a single time where hunger was a limiting factor in my feasting, except the first week of the world before salt spawn. The only thing hunger has ever done is make feasting math more complicated, fuck over new players who decided to eat whatever the tutorial tells them to, and make questing for hunger reduction extremely powerful for the first week.

Hunger is objectively bad at every level of play within the context of spiraling existing. It leads to so much unfun, unintuitive meta-gaming, but provides nothing positive.

Let the noobs eat apples for hunger, and let the tryhards not make 100 salt alts or quest for 500 hours every world.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ItsFunToLose » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:"At least hunger" as in out of hunger and satiations at least hunger is objectively provides nothing positive to the game, with that only being arguable for satiations.

I mean this in the most polite way possible, but if you think hunger has ever been a relevant force in this game for anybody except noobs you are wrong enough as to invalidate all of your opinions.

During the entire time I've played(started world 10) there has not ever been a single time where hunger was a limiting factor in my feasting, except the first week of the world before salt spawn. The only thing hunger has ever done is make feasting math more complicated, fuck over new players who decided to eat whatever the tutorial tells them to, and make questing for hunger reduction extremely powerful for the first week.

Hunger is objectively bad at every level of play within the context of spiraling existing. It leads to so much unfun, unintuitive meta-gaming, but provides nothing positive.

Let the noobs eat apples for hunger, and let the tryhards not make 100 salt alts or quest for 500 hours every world.

as a newb who hasn't played since like w5 or 6, this is my current understanding of the hunger mechanic.
If the intention is to provide a catchup mechanic for those who haven't played in a few days/weeks, it has failed in that endeavor.
Tryhards and metagaming autists will always eat at 300%, and everyone else is gaining stats 10-100x slower as a result of their "ignorance"

It does absolutely nothing to limit or gate or restrict or hinder progress of tryhards and serves only as an obscure mechanic that delineates the noobs from the titans. Noobs will be gaining stats up to 9x slower(300% vs 33%), on top of eating q10 food that is 5x worse. Making it decay as the 5th root or 69th root will not change this.

And if that wasn't bad enough, lower stat players trying to increase their stats from 50 to 100 need to find a way to double their FEP production or eat twice as much food, while the higher stat player who requires 500FEP and is competent enough to produce the 500 FEP required to gain all of the previous stats, will have a significantly easier time going from 500 to 550 than the newb would from 50 to 100. The newb has to double their production. Or their consumption(which lowers their FEP hunger efficiency!). The 500 stat player has to eat 10% more than they did previously. The newb has to double it.

The compounding multiplicative factors result in several orders of magnitude difference between players, which some people think is totally fine I guess.

But as a catchup mechanic, the current system serves as a slingshot to catapult the higher stat players even further. It creates more distance between players, not less.

Is anyone actually having fun making salt alts? Is this a good gameplay loop?

Satiations as the core FEP reducing mechanic seem very elegant? am I ignorant to think this?
Last edited by ItsFunToLose on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby The_Blode » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:28 pm

I've always kinda thought that if we're trying to shrink the gap between noob and tryhard, we'd need something more direct.

-Food bonus based on your level vs. highest level currently active char in world
-Food bonus relative to stats of those in a certain radius around you
-flip the script a bit and make it so that once you've eaten a certain food X amount of times, it loses a big chunk of it's value for that char PERMANENTLY

no matter what it will cause some form of metagaming, guaranteed, but what's been said about new characters not knowing they "have" to eat in a certain way or they screw themselves out of god knows how many hours of effort really speaks to me.
The_Blode

Postby fedor77 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:54 pm

The worst kind of tryhard metagamer is the game developer wannabe.
fedor77

Postby ItsFunToLose » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 pm

fedor77 wrote:The worst kind of tryhard metagamer is the game developer wannabe.

Guilty.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:19 pm

ItsFunToLose wrote:
fedor77 wrote:The worst kind of tryhard metagamer is the game developer wannabe.

Guilty.

Despite what Fedor implies, I - and probably many others - fully agree with you, except that it's even worse than you stated as the required quantity increase also leads to things like screwing up your hunger three times as hard at 100% and giving three times the symbel wear per FEP.

I highly doubt the new system will fix it, but I'm willing to try it out first before crying 'THIS SOLVES NOTHING!'. I expect (or at least hope) it will at least make eating nearer to 200% more feasible, as opposed to essentially being permanently stuck in 100% as was previously the case. If it isn't, well, I've been wanting to try the 'suicide to get back to 300%' strategy some time, so it's a good opportunity for that I guess.
VDZ

Postby vosmihui » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:33 pm

Why then do we need to remove hunger from the game, and not salt?
We need to remove hunger rewards from quests and salt nodes, and hunger will be a problem for everyone.
The problem is not hunger, but the ability to increase it, those who produce a huge amount of food get an advantage.
We just need to remove any ways to increase hunger from the game.
vosmihui

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:45 pm

vosmihui wrote:Why then do we need to remove hunger from the game, and not salt?
We need to remove hunger rewards from quests and salt nodes, and hunger will be a problem for everyone.
The problem is not hunger, but the ability to increase it, those who produce a huge amount of food get an advantage.
We just need to remove any ways to increase hunger from the game.

> everybody who doesn't eat the exact optional thing all of the time can go fuck themselves

Do you rly want eating 99% of foods to be actively griefing yourself
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements