Prelude: World 14

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 14

Postby Mashadar » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:27 pm

vatas wrote:Something like this is what I've been thinking. If you join month late you have month's worth of hunger regeneration effectively wasted.

That is indeed the core issue. This turns it from the catchup mechanic that it was originally supposed to be into a "if you weren't here for world start, you don't even need to bother playing" mechanic.
I suppose not yet created characters could accumulate negative hunger relative to world start at a reduced rate like 20%. It's not much, but probably still enough of an extra boost to give motivation for late joiners to play.
Last edited by Mashadar on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mashadar

Postby fedor77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:39 pm

People genuinely suggesting the game to have a catch-up mechanic. I dont think you are capable of processing your own ideas, as they come off as selfish and self-destructive. Yes, just make it so the person who played for a entire month has no advantage over the one that just started, make all their time spent in the game redundant and then do the same to the person who joined now a month later versus another new player. Completely remove the appeal of grinding from those who enjoy it because you dont and then move on to a different game.

The way i see it, the thing that doesnt seem to work is the energy bar, when i first started playing i assumed the energy bar was how much you could do in the game before having to log off to let it recharge, but you only lose energy to restore stamina and a lot of things dont even cost stamina.

I thought you were supposed to use energy to perform actions, then eat to restore energy so you could keep playing, if you wanted to play more, you would need to eat more and thats where hunger becomes relevant, those who want to no-life would get less bonuses from food in comparison to those who wanted to play casually, but even then i dont see how that could be fun. I feel like being able to play as much as you like whenever you like is better than creating a schedule to playing a video-game, effectively turning it into a job.
fedor77

Postby Mashadar » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:54 pm

fedor77 wrote:People genuinely suggesting the game to have a catch-up mechanic. I dont think you are capable of processing your own ideas, as they come off as selfish and self-destructive. Yes, just make it so the person who played for a entire month has no advantage over the one that just started, make all their time spent in the game redundant and then do the same to the person who joined now a month later versus another new player. Completely remove the appeal of grinding from those who enjoy it because you dont and then move on to a different game.

I doubt it's much of a problem for most of the people on the forums, as many of them are there from the beginning.

But the way the game currently works makes it very unattractive to join the world late and without players continuously joining, the player curve drops off faster than necessary. And without other players, who are you gonna boast to after grinding to top stats, who are you gonna raid, who are you gonna sell your OP products to.

One option is to just accept that this is how Haven will always work, but the other would be to make a few additional changes to make joining late more attractive.
Mashadar

Postby fedor77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:38 pm

Mashadar wrote:
fedor77 wrote:People genuinely suggesting the game to have a catch-up mechanic. I dont think you are capable of processing your own ideas, as they come off as selfish and self-destructive. Yes, just make it so the person who played for a entire month has no advantage over the one that just started, make all their time spent in the game redundant and then do the same to the person who joined now a month later versus another new player. Completely remove the appeal of grinding from those who enjoy it because you dont and then move on to a different game.

I doubt it's much of a problem for most of the people on the forums, as many of them are there from the beginning.

But the way the game currently works makes it very unattractive to join the world late and without players continuously joining, the player curve drops off faster than necessary. And without other players, who are you gonna boast to after grinding to top stats, who are you gonna raid, who are you gonna sell your OP products to.

One option is to just accept that this is how Haven will always work, but the other would be to make a few additional changes to make joining late more attractive.

As a new player, to me the most unattractive thing about old worlds is playing on what are essentially abandoned realms, you start with a boost to stats no matter where you land, which feels unearned and destroys that sensation of having a fresh start, constantly bumping into abandoned civilizations while you look for a place to settle, mines are already explored killing the feeling of discovery, fishing(which i personally love) makes you find some fantastic gear that you should not have access to yet. The land is already tamed.

I think being able to land on uncharted territory, if possible, should be a option when starting, but i have no clue how big the world truly is, that maybe everything has already been touched by other players. I dont care about fairness, and i would rather be sabotaged than be boosted.

If you goal is to attract the broader gaming audience, with what is being proposed here, you are making the game lean towards a battle royale.
fedor77

Postby Exerosp » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:46 pm

fedor77 wrote:If you goal is to attract the broader gaming audience, with what is being proposed here, you are making the game lean towards a battle royale.

The goal is to make it possible for new players to be able to PVP without having 100 in stats fighting guys with 5k in stats. As an extreme example.
Exerosp

Postby fedor77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:10 pm

Exerosp wrote:
fedor77 wrote:If you goal is to attract the broader gaming audience, with what is being proposed here, you are making the game lean towards a battle royale.

The goal is to make it possible for new players to be able to PVP without having 100 in stats fighting guys with 5k in stats. As an extreme example.

There are just so many things that go against each other in that statement when you look at how the game works. You want the new player to be able to stand up against someone who dedicated himself to the game, which, to put it simple, makes nobody want to dedicate themselves to the game. You wanna get rid of the feeling of being parallel universes ahead of someone else, you also wanna make redundant to even compete to be better than the other players that are also dedicated, because if the gap between a month of playing is no big deal, a gap between people who are playing at the same time is inexistent by comparison. Also we are talking a month difference here, AS IF this is something that can be fine tuned instead of what it really is, something you cant find where to draw the line at.

Now, forget all of the above, because nobody here has any clue how to even begin to achieve any of that, and let me ask you the real question: Do you want new players to PVP or do you want to PVP new players? And if you dont know the difference between those two things let me just tell you, that no matter how you decided to balance this game, i wouldnt give two shits to PVP.
fedor77

Postby Dondy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 pm

fedor77 wrote:
As a new player, to me the most unattractive thing about old worlds is playing on what are essentially abandoned realms, you start with a boost to stats no matter where you land, which feels unearned and destroys that sensation of having a fresh start, constantly bumping into abandoned civilizations while you look for a place to settle, mines are already explored killing the feeling of discovery, fishing(which i personally love) makes you find some fantastic gear that you should not have access to yet. The land is already tamed.

I think being able to land on uncharted territory, if possible, should be a option when starting, but i have no clue how big the world truly is, that maybe everything has already been touched by other players. I don't care about fairness, and i would rather be sabotaged than be boosted.

If you goal is to attract the broader gaming audience, with what is being proposed here, you are making the game lean towards a battle royale.

So far player spawn spots have been almost completely limited to the centre of the world. The landmasses around the edges are much more thinly settled and it is easy to find caves with undisturbed dust and no sign of other miners. I am pretty sure, from the absence of random hearth fires dotting the woods, that people only get there by boat.

If you join late game and want that experience, the trick is to work immediately to boat building, make a canoe and paddle until you find a swirling vortex and go through it. Your canoe will always survive one trip, and can be mended with blocks for a second try through the vortex you just arrived at, if the site doesn't look promising.

If you do that you usually find wilderness that is almost pristine in just a few jumps.
Dondy

Postby Gustyboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:29 pm

About an incentive to diversify the food used, there is an idea in the game called ECO I like a lot :
- you're character gains randomly a demand of a specific dish time to time
- if you satisfy the demand, then you get a bonus

So it would be nice to have something like that in H&H imho. That could be balanced with accessible recipes, or dishes you already took at least 1 time.
We can imagine bonuses of different kind : reduced hunger of that particular dish when your character asks for it, bonus FEP, bonus Energy...
Gustyboy

Postby Gustyboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:39 pm

I have a question regarding custom clients.
Last time I played, there was roughly 2 clients : Ender & Pasta.
Does the wipe break the custom clients so we have to use vanilla until custom clients are fixed ?
What are the custom clients used nowadays, and are they still updated regularly or some of them are quite obsolete ?
Which custom client you would suggest to me ? (I was using Ender a lot, and Pasta at the end of my last world).
Gustyboy

Postby fedor77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:41 pm

Dondy wrote:So far player spawn spots have been almost completely limited to the centre of the world. The landmasses around the edges are much more thinly settled and it is easy to find caves with undisturbed dust and no sign of other miners. I am pretty sure, from the absence of random hearth fires dotting the woods, that people only get there by boat.

If you join late game and want that experience, the trick is to work immediately to boat building, make a canoe and paddle until you find a swirling vortex and go through it. Your canoe will always survive one trip, and can be mended with blocks for a second try through the vortex you just arrived at, if the site doesn't look promising.

If you do that you usually find wilderness that is almost pristine in just a few jumps.

Thats a nice piece of advice, i might start trying that when i join late worlds.
fedor77

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements