Prelude: World 14

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 14

Postby Flameturtle » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:59 pm

I never really went looking for it before is salt really as abundant as you make it out to be or is that just because you tend to play in large groups and have bots to log in and grab it snuggle? No judgement just wondering if it's possible to get a decent stock of salt with some good timers as a non botter or is questing an acceptable substitute for it if you can't hoard salt?

I did manage to get a fairly significant amount of pit clay last world but we were fairly isolated.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby VDZ » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:04 am

As I understand it the main trick is to have very good symbel and eat so optimally you simply don't drop out of 300 in the first place, with salt and questing hunger reduction being ways to make up for suboptimal eating.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:24 am

Flameturtle wrote:just wondering if it's possible to get a decent stock of salt with some good timers as a non botter or is questing an acceptable substitute for it if you can't hoard salt?

Kinda depends on luck. If you don't spawn nearby any tryhard groups you shouldn't have any issues at all. If you spawn next to tryhard groups and decide to compete you probably can, even as a hermit, but it would take a lot of autism I doubt many hermits have.

IDK what exactly Jorbtar wants the new salt to do, they haven't released the formula, but my guess is that questing is not really a viable alternative long-term. The effort:reward ratio from questing is extremely bad, it's just historically been OP early when minor gains are still super strong.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby telum12 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
vosmihui wrote:Why then do we need to remove hunger from the game, and not salt?
We need to remove hunger rewards from quests and salt nodes, and hunger will be a problem for everyone.
The problem is not hunger, but the ability to increase it, those who produce a huge amount of food get an advantage.
We just need to remove any ways to increase hunger from the game.

> everybody who doesn't eat the exact optional thing all of the time can go fuck themselves

Do you rly want eating 99% of foods to be actively griefing yourself

aktually they're fixing recipes this world
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby TwentyThree » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:59 am

telum12 wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:
vosmihui wrote:Why then do we need to remove hunger from the game, and not salt?
We need to remove hunger rewards from quests and salt nodes, and hunger will be a problem for everyone.
The problem is not hunger, but the ability to increase it, those who produce a huge amount of food get an advantage.
We just need to remove any ways to increase hunger from the game.

> everybody who doesn't eat the exact optional thing all of the time can go fuck themselves

Do you rly want eating 99% of foods to be actively griefing yourself

aktually they're fixing recipes this world

I hope they fix them properly, but we'll figure it out in the end anyway.
TwentyThree

Postby Xoatl » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:32 am

wonder-ass wrote:the hunger changes could work but it simply cant rn due to the fact that we have ways to lower back down to 300%. remove any form of hunger reduction (salt/questing) and it could work.
hunger was intended to work as a catch up mechanic why not make it an actual catch up mechanic by not allowing us to lower it?

This. Trying to reduce hunger is a chore in a game already filled with chores. Plus trying to teach this weird math puzzle alongside all the other more important math puzzles is nearly impossible. Casuals and new players don't even bother. Typically they struggle with FEPs and recipes enough as is. Or I'm just a bad teacher. Teaching someone that being starving is good is retarded and makes me embarrassed for playing this game.

Miss_Min wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:
ZantetsukenX wrote:... A butterfly net existing as an equippable item like a wicker picker that also extends your range for catching other insecty things would be very cool, though. A swarm of little bastard midgies trapped in it would probably take up more than one space but would be SO WORTH IT. The question then becomes what to DO with the midges; let them be removable and therefore usable as a torture device, let them be UNremovable and destroy your butterfly net, or somewhere in between?

I'm surprised this isn't a thing already. Butterfly net that extends range of grabbing flying insects is pretty brilliant.

Hulex wrote:"CHARACTER & COMBAT
Related to this I would add:
1. If you stay too long at the last level of hunger (e.g. 300% modifier) there is a chance that you will die permanently.
With the possibility of death by not eating, inactive characters are also eliminated.
2. At this level, your statistics are halved, for example, you move slower, you are not as efficient.
You have 100% statistics when you are well fed, namely 0% hunger bonus.
3. Add something similar to the study desk to eat just so you don't die.
"Eat a sousage every 24h"

Having some disincentive for staying at low hunger sounds good too. That food desk might be called a pantry? Also doing this might give an incentive to make highly satiating food for the pantry. Especially depending on how the death by starvation mechanic works. Also if an inactive dies from starvation PLEASE make it so his body appears in game with all the goodies still on it. That might be the coolest part of a change like this more so than solving or addressing the hunger question.
Xoatl

Postby Vraatjuh » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 am

I agree that hunger is objectively bad. It only increased the gap between tryhards and the people who it should help to keep up, because of the extreme tedium it requires and how it progressively rewards no-lifing.

With some luck it will be changed after a month or so in the new world though, just after it already gave the biggest advantage to all the tryhards who used it to their advantage. Just like every other world.
Vraatjuh

Postby berthedin » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:51 am

Xoatl wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:the hunger changes could work but it simply cant rn due to the fact that we have ways to lower back down to 300%. remove any form of hunger reduction (salt/questing) and it could work.
hunger was intended to work as a catch up mechanic why not make it an actual catch up mechanic by not allowing us to lower it?

This. Trying to reduce hunger is a chore in a game already filled with chores. Plus trying to teach this weird math puzzle alongside all the other more important math puzzles is nearly impossible. Casuals and new players don't even bother. Typically they struggle with FEPs and recipes enough as is. Or I'm just a bad teacher. Teaching someone that being starving is good is retarded and makes me embarrassed for playing this game.

Hulex wrote:"CHARACTER & COMBAT
Related to this I would add:
1. If you stay too long at the last level of hunger (e.g. 300% modifier) there is a chance that you will die permanently.
With the possibility of death by not eating, inactive characters are also eliminated.
2. At this level, your statistics are halved, for example, you move slower, you are not as efficient.
You have 100% statistics when you are well fed, namely 0% hunger bonus.
3. Add something similar to the study desk to eat just so you don't die.
"Eat a sousage every 24h"

Having some disincentive for staying at low hunger sounds good too. That food desk might be called a pantry? Also doing this might give an incentive to make highly satiating food for the pantry. Especially depending on how the death by starvation mechanic works. Also if an inactive dies from starvation PLEASE make it so his body appears in game with all the goodies still on it. That might be the coolest part of a change like this more so than solving or addressing the hunger question.

I see you know nothing about the game, have you ever got 100 stats?
Removing any hunger reduction from the game could possibly stop that huge gain of stats but still it wouldn't change gap between noobs and tryhards, there would be 2 types of people, first one eating all the shit and staying at 33% which would be effective with botting food or the other ones eating at 250-300% eating only poggers food...

Punishing people for not playing or taking a break from the game, yeah the best idea to get rid of playerbase even faster +1
Anyone giving the idea about affecting the movement speed should be permanently banned from the game, it just triggers me when people without any knowledge write their ideas on forum, try combat first then talk please, because you get through PvE content in a month.
Atikin:
whats wrong with me, is that i just wanted a couple of fucking days of peace, but nah your stupid polish ass has to go and fuck it up by ko'ing ppl on the NK realm and casusing more issues and drama.
berthedin

Postby Epidj » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:26 am

So, with all the talk about Hunger, i think it is supposed to be a Catch-Up. So why not make it exactly that without any extra steps. Hunger places you on a scale from 300% to 33% based on the difference (in%) to the highest statet person.
Might be complicated to balance for boosting all stats vs. boosing specific ones ... maybe "converted FEP" is right ?
Anyways, that way a player that joins in a month later can still catch up with 3 times the speed while the try-Hard farmers CAN stay ahead but constantly have to push the 33% by consuming 3 times (or technically 9 times) the amount of food.

Afterwards just find a new use for Salt, scratch the quest reward, and be done with it.

Pushing Quality should be the Harder part of Catching up, you can obviously trade for it but thats where the Tryhards can "Shine" and have their advantage
Epidj

Postby vatas » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:03 am

Epidj wrote:So, with all the talk about Hunger, i think it is supposed to be a Catch-Up. So why not make it exactly that without any extra steps. Hunger places you on a scale from 300% to 33% based on the difference (in%) to the highest statet person.
Might be complicated to balance for boosting all stats vs. boosing specific ones ... maybe "converted FEP" is right ?
Anyways, that way a player that joins in a month later can still catch up with 3 times the speed while the try-Hard farmers CAN stay ahead but constantly have to push the 33% by consuming 3 times (or technically 9 times) the amount of food.

Afterwards just find a new use for Salt, scratch the quest reward, and be done with it.

Pushing Quality should be the Harder part of Catching up, you can obviously trade for it but thats where the Tryhards can "Shine" and have their advantage

Something like this is what I've been thinking. If you join month late you have month's worth of hunger regeneration effectively wasted.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements