Prelude: World 14

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 14

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:41 pm

Archiplex wrote:there is nothing added/changed here that could not have been done as part of a routine patch

why is this the wipe patch? simply to sate the people who just want a new world?
not that a new world is bad, but it seems meaningless if all that's being done is reverting changes and adding minor mechanics (sorry siege boost isn't a major mechanic it's just removing siege as a concept for any active base)

Don't forget that major new world additions are often not actually announced in advance. Even world 13's Thingwalls were not initially announced (it was later edited into the new world changelog, but at the time we had no idea what they were), with the explanation only being posted later once people more or less understood what they did. If I recall correctly, even localized resources were just a thing people stumbled upon when first added. There are always more changes than are listed.
VDZ

Postby The_Lich_King » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:58 pm

ThorleifCleaver wrote:As long as you are resetting, why not add size/color variables to some of the critters? Nothing to significantly affect play--herds of deer, packs of wolves, etc. should have larger alphas sometimes, while loner critters should occasionally be older, larger versions. No impact other than a slightly greater amount of meat, maybe. Would be an easy addition and improve immersion. Be nice to have a visual component to go along with the preexisting stat variation among animals. Would also give the impression of age--smaller critters implying young. Whale pod comment made me think of it.

Given that they are resetting in 9 days, i don't think they have the time to create all the new models and variance you are describing for world reset. That being said i'd love to see it happen sometime.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Cogan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:12 am

VDZ wrote:
Cogan wrote:How about we just get rid of the 3 tier hunger system, it adds nothing.

It adds relevance to the 'hunger' value of food items, which
a) is another dimension which differentiates various food items (in addition to FEPs, energy gain and path to production/acquisition), theoretically making them more or less interesting depending on context
b) gives meaning to symbel, which is a significant form of progression
c) prevents stat gains from being purely a factor of mindlessly consuming quantity of food items (considering which items to eat is beneficial)

The problem is just balancing. Hunger is not 'a' factor in valuation of food items, it is THE factor in valuation of food items. Anything with higher hunger value must be extremely good in all other aspects to be even worth considering, otherwise it is utter trash. For optimal play, only one tier is relevant, and that's the 300% one.

I do like the multiple levels of hunger, and I feel they could add a lot. But right now the effects of 300% and 200% are so powerful it greatly restricts your options instead of making more food items potentially viable in different contexts.

Only if you drink the cool-aid. It is just a series of interconnected over-mathed systems that add zero fun. Zero fun is not good for a game.
Cogan

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:34 am

The_Lich_King wrote:
ThorleifCleaver wrote:As long as you are resetting, why not add size/color variables to some of the critters? Nothing to significantly affect play--herds of deer, packs of wolves, etc. should have larger alphas sometimes, while loner critters should occasionally be older, larger versions. No impact other than a slightly greater amount of meat, maybe. Would be an easy addition and improve immersion. Be nice to have a visual component to go along with the preexisting stat variation among animals. Would also give the impression of age--smaller critters implying young. Whale pod comment made me think of it.

Given that they are resetting in 9 days, i don't think they have the time to create all the new models and variance you are describing for world reset. That being said i'd love to see it happen sometime.

Yeah, they wouldn't if they wanted to add new models, which would be great if they did. But, if all they did was upscale the 3D models relative to the preexisting stat variations? That shouldn't take much work at all, really, unless something about the code prevents that. That's supposed to be one of the things 3D modeling is for. Color variables would take real work, though I'm fine with palette swapping.

Oh, are they adding squid/octopi? From the preview, it looks like one's gobbling on some sperm whale.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:42 am

ThorleifCleaver wrote:Yeah, they wouldn't if they wanted to add new models, which would be great if they did. But, if all they did was upscale the 3D models relative to the preexisting stat variations?

Risky change. What if something becomes fucky with hitboxes? There's no time to test.
VDZ

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:10 am

VDZ wrote:
ThorleifCleaver wrote:Yeah, they wouldn't if they wanted to add new models, which would be great if they did. But, if all they did was upscale the 3D models relative to the preexisting stat variations?

Risky change. What if something becomes fucky with hitboxes? There's no time to test.

Would the hitbox have to come along for the ride? If so, you're right, it would need some testing. But, if the hitbox could remain unchanged, the only outcome would be slight clipping, and there's plenty of that already. Anyway, adding a visual component to the rng variation is a good move, now or later.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby ubersheva » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:58 am

Hey Jorb, make this world start in winter. This will shame all the winter critics and prove that nothing is wrong with it. (I personnaly like seasons in general and winter in particulal).
ubersheva

Postby The_Lich_King » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:32 am

ubersheva wrote:Hey Jorb, make this world start in winter. This will shame all the winter critics and prove that nothing is wrong with it. (I personnaly like seasons in general and winter in particulal).

For the love of god do not listen to this person. Everyone's knowledge of early world is based on summer. All good early game foods are summer foods, nobody could get seeds for farming for a whole week of the world.

Way to kill a world right at the start.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby DonVelD » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:05 pm

ubersheva wrote:Hey Jorb, make this world start in winter. This will shame all the winter critics and prove that nothing is wrong with it. (I personnaly like seasons in general and winter in particulal).

>logs in
>cannot even travel by a dugout
>sits there bare assed because there's no nettles for clothes
>no source of food
>fucking dies
LOOK, LOOK! IM ENJOYING THE GAME! STOP COMPLAINING, SNOWFLAKES - HAHA GET IT?????
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Jalpha » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Real men wear leather and eat meat.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements