Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Postby Soukuw » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:24 pm

VDZ wrote:
Soukuw wrote:Questionable content is added:
"Hey this might be racist and here's a bunch of information and opinions on it"

The problem is that anything can be questionable, and when you give the easily offended a finger they're likely to take the whole hand. See also: Twitch and 'blind playthroughs', or stuff like banned words list in tech companies (whitelist, redline, cripple, you guys).

The term "tar baby" has been controversial for a very long time though. You can see that here http://content.time.com/time/nation/art ... 64,00.html (Mitt Romney says tar baby and gets criticized for it back in 2006) I don't even know why people are denying that it's a racist term, this isn't new it's been used as one for a long time seemingly. (Though I've never personally heard it)

Also let's get it clear the term tar baby is directly referencing br'er rabbit, an American story. According to wikipedia in the old stories prior to Br'er rabbit it was known as a tar doll, not a tar baby.

In my opinion it's more fitting for it to be named a tar doll for multiple reasons: Follows the naming scheme of the other curiosities, avoids a questionable name and finally it fits the "fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend" (From the H&H about page) A story from 1880 seems a little recent for H&H but I'm not a dev and tbh we got trolls, magic and mammoths soooo...

Let's talk about the recipe, I liked it because it was unique but it also was a direct reference to br'er rabbit. Now I'm not exactly a professional tar doll creator but I'm a little lost about how turpentine (A solvent) would help form something like that, maybe it thins the tar to make it more malleable? I bring this up as it just feels like the Br'er rabbit story is making a "Cotton picking" joke except with turpentine. Hell maybe I'm what you're talking about but it just seems overall to be in bad taste to reference br'er rabbit.

I mean I have to type "br'er" rather than Briar because according to Joel Chandler Harris, that's how black people say it.
Soukuw

Postby Terry69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:04 pm

You let (((THEM))) win.
Terry69

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:16 pm

Soukuw wrote:
VDZ wrote:
Soukuw wrote: I mean I have to type "br'er" rather than Briar because according to Joel Chandler Harris, that's how black people say it.

It's not "Briar." "Br'er" is a truncation of "brother," a colloquial pronunciation/address common to the American South of Harris's day in general, not just African Americans in the American South in particular.

But, yes, there is no controversy about the racial implications of the term "tar baby." The term did not originate as a slur; it has a long history of use in folklore minus racial overtones. However, after Harris popularized the term, disgruntled Southerners adopted it as a slur, making the derogatory connotations dominant in any American context. That probably comes as a surprise to Europeans, but it is what it is. As the above poster mentions, it caught Mitt Romney off-guard, too (presumably)--the term never received widespread use in places like Utah until very recently. "Tar Doll" makes more sense, anyway, considering that the game is not, in fact, set in the American South.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby Soukuw » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 pm

ThorleifCleaver wrote:It's not "Briar." "Br'er" is a truncation of "brother," a colloquial pronunciation/address common to the American South of Harris's day in general, not just African Americans in the American South in particular.

But, yes, there is no controversy about the racial implications of the term "tar baby." The term did not originate as a slur; it has a long history of use in folklore minus racial overtones. However, after Harris popularized the term, disgruntled Southerners adopted it as a slur, making the derogatory connotations dominant in any American context. That probably comes as a surprise to Europeans, but it is what it is. As the above poster mentions, it caught Mitt Romney off-guard, too (presumably)--the term never received widespread use in places like Utah until very recently. "Tar Doll" makes more sense, anyway, considering that the game is not, in fact, set in the American South.

Informative, thanks!
Soukuw

Postby Nikitan83 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:52 pm

hello yes!

So since this patch it seems we're not able to change building materials using sketchpads? Pls halp!
W4: Bucket slave
W6: Hermit
W7: LS of Siberia, Cornucopia, SwagzillaYoloCity
W8: LS of Fire & Ice
W9: Queen of Fire & Ice
W10: Queen of Fire & Ice
W11: Queen of Yggdrasil
W12: LS of Lake Town
Nikitan83

Previous

Return to Announcements