Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Postby Soukuw » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:07 pm

From my short read of the wiki page...

It's been known as a tar doll in the past then the story was americanized into it being named a tar baby. After that the slur came about but apparently if it's a slur has been debated in the past.
Soukuw

Postby Axyx » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:36 pm

Hadehariast wrote:I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

It'll be shoot first and ask questions later, like most modern American policing.

Racism aside, as I won't deny that shit exist to some degree, this statement is just absurdly overblown. There are tens of millions of traffic stops in the United States every year and the overwhelming majority of them involve absolutely no violence. Take a step back from the corporate media and maybe dig a bit into actual statistics before making such exaggerated claims. Source:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/traffic-st ... e-premiums

Second, to address the racism of police in the United States: It gets overblown and exaggerated by the corporate media and activist organizations but the real numbers show a totally different story. Some people believe that literally hundreds or thousands of black Americans are shot and killed by police every year that this is simply not the case. Source:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

All that being said...Tar-Baby is probably NOT the best idea for the name of a tar based figurine as a curio in this game we all love. I'm not going to be the one to attempt to give some alternative name as I don't have the entire recorded history before me to ensure with all certainty that I will select a term that has never ever ever been associated with racism, ever. So we're either going to have to just suck it the fuck up, quit bitchin about stupid shit that really has little impact in our actual lives and just play the fucking game.

Or don't.
Axyx

Postby jorb » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:01 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:hellye, brotha

'k, since "Tar-Baby" was apparently very funny to all the wrong people, I decided to respect the sensibilities of those who disliked the name. It is now a "Tar Doll", requiring bone glue and tar.

Change will be effective after the next restart.

Good day to you.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:19 pm

coward
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby widelec_szatana » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:22 pm

jorb wrote:

'k, since "Tar-Baby" was apparently very funny to all the wrong people, I decided to respect the sensibilities of those who disliked the name. It is now a "Tar Doll", requiring bone glue and tar.

Good day to you.

thanks, now im distilling turpentine for nothing
widelec_szatana

Postby pietin1 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 pm

anything can be used as a slur it just depend where your mind takes you. I could call you darling and you could use that as a slur. You should just take stuff with a grain of salt it let it roll off your back.
pietin1

Postby Karede » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:49 pm

jorb wrote:

Good day to you.

Poor change, you almost made turpentine not dead content
Karede

Postby Wunsz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:24 pm

i dont like the rain being regional, i liked it and would prefer it to go through the land periodically or something, rather than be tied to a specific biome (if that is how it works?)
Wunsz

Postby iamahh » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 pm

any sponge per*exp news?
iamahh

Postby Sephiron » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:48 pm

Wunsz wrote:i dont like the rain being regional, i liked it and would prefer it to go through the land periodically or something, rather than be tied to a specific biome (if that is how it works?)

It probably rains at different times in each province
Sephiron

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements