Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Postby VDZ » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:15 pm

Hadehariast wrote:You can say whatever you want. I said nigger and tar-baby repeatedly in my post. I put my free-speech mouth where my money is. However, there are consequences to speech and actions

It is not free speech if you get punished for it. The practical reality is that you have no free speech on privately owned platforms (which makes it rather worrying that they control so much of public discourse nowadays) and only limited free speech in public and via government-provided channels. (Fortunately most limits are clearly defined in laws.)

Hadehariast wrote:can you realistically tell me that YouTube and Twitch moderation is going to come down in favour of racial slurs? Do you really, honestly, think so?

Twitch took action against 'blind playthroughs' because the term was ableist. I wish I was kidding. At some point you just have to say 'fuck Twitch'. I don't think 'tar baby' is that point (even though I'd never heard of it until this update), but sites having dumb policies doesn't necessarily mean you should do everything you can to appease them.

Valgar wrote:The real racism is when you fear to recognize a black person is black, a white person is white and so on...
I'm afraid to tell you we are not identical in this world, and I don't see any problem with that.

And some people are tall, and others are short, and some have black hair while others are blond, and some have big hands while others' are small, and so on and so forth. I've never seen people rant about small-handed folks; why is that not as much of a distinction as the color of their skin? None of us are identical, but I'm more similar to a black person with a similar physique (or, more commonly in practice, shared interests; the body as a whole isn't that important) than I am to a white person who shares none of my characteristics other than my skin color.

The concept of 'blood and soil' predates nazism by quite a bit. It is inherently nationalistic (and nationalism is near-universally condemned today, for good reason), but 'this land belongs to me and my kin' is exactly what a pclaim does. It is an apt description despite its association with an infamous country in the 30s and 40s. I imagine it stems more from Jorb's fondness of questionable 19th century philosophy (see also e.g. The Will To Power) than the political propaganda.

telum12 wrote:If you're going to criticize anything, you might want to criticize [stuff unrelated to and not represented in the game], the fact that they literally have a "heil" salute in the game & nazi uniforms (both of which were recently on display in Valhalla), etc.

What nazi uniforms? I've never seen them. Likewise, I've never seen a heil salute in-game (or any kind of salute for that matter).
VDZ

Postby Angwyn » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 pm

Hadehariast wrote:I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

Fun fact: tar-baby was the first racial slur I learned from my father when I was a child.

Exactly where did you grow up, is it a regional thing? I never heard the term "tar baby" in my life. And since you're referring to your childhood, I assume it's not some random TikTok meme of the week either.
Angwyn

Postby Angwyn » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:53 pm

pancakesorter wrote:Quick google search according to the Oxford english dictionary it is not a regional thing. I mean I guess regional to the US.]

Still, I've talked to countless Americans in the last 25 years (a few of them actually being quite racist), and this thread is the first time I've seen it. That is why I guessed it must be slang in some particular city, because it is clearly not a commonly used term. But if it's in the dictionary, I'll assume it actually exists or existed somewhere, sometime.
Angwyn

Postby VDZ » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:20 am

pancakesorter wrote:
VDZ wrote:
telum12 wrote:If you're going to criticize anything, you might want to criticize [stuff unrelated to and not represented in the game], the fact that they literally have a "heil" salute in the game & nazi uniforms (both of which were recently on display in Valhalla), etc.

What nazi uniforms? I've never seen them. Likewise, I've never seen a heil salute in-game (or any kind of salute for that matter).

Hearth home and youll see something eerily similar. It is just many of the coincidences. But sure they are all coincidences.

And when you hearth home in a location where your hearthling cannot tell the direction to your home, it performs a double inverted heil salute. My eyes have been opened.
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:59 am

iamahh wrote:any sponge per*exp news?

Probably not too helpful, but I saw one while boating at 8549 PER*EXP.
VDZ

Postby Gacrux » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:27 am

jorb wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:hellye, brotha

'k, since "Tar-Baby" was apparently very funny to all the wrong people, I decided to respect the sensibilities of those who disliked the name. It is now a "Tar Doll", requiring bone glue and tar.

Change will be effective after the next restart.

Good day to you.

Thank you for this.
Gacrux

Postby Hadehariast » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:18 am

Angwyn wrote:
Hadehariast wrote:I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

Fun fact: tar-baby was the first racial slur I learned from my father when I was a child.

Exactly where did you grow up, is it a regional thing? I never heard the term "tar baby" in my life. And since you're referring to your childhood, I assume it's not some random TikTok meme of the week either.

I grew up in rural Southern Ontario. My father's family emigrated from Michigan before he was born. I assume he learned it from his father, who, in later life, referred to his black cleaner as "the negro lady" and "the coloured lady" whenever he spoke about her. I learned most of the standard slurs at home-- nigger, piccaninny (usually shortened to "fucking ninny"), coon, and so on. Nig-nog was another, but I suspect that might have been made up because it rolls off the tongue nicely. I've adopted "fucking nig-nog" to refer to anyone who cuts me off in traffic. It really is a fun thing to say when you're frustrated.

"Tar baby" isn't specifically regional, as far as I know-- the great African-American author Toni Morrison wrote a novel entitled "Tar Baby", so it was certainly a known term. However, she was from Ohio, so perhaps it was used more in the northern US. I suspect that it may have been more popular in pre-WWII times.
Hadehariast

Postby VDZ » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:09 am

Hadehariast wrote:Nig-nog was another, but I suspect that might have been made up because it rolls off the tongue nicely. I've adopted "fucking nig-nog" to refer to anyone who cuts me off in traffic. It really is a fun thing to say when you're frustrated.

'Nig-nog' is an established slur. I've seen racists use it quite a few times.
VDZ

Postby Tpukco » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:41 pm

For foks sake! Who give a shit if you feel offended by something. Tar baby is a literally a something made of tar in a shape of a baby. That's the shitty idea to listen to those whiners. Cause after this they're gonna continue to whine.
I wonder if I should feel offended for a word "SNOWFLAKE"? THAT SHIT IS RACIST YA KNOW??
Tpukco

Postby keiclay4 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:25 pm

I like how there is more racist talk than actual content talk and this is the first time i heard Tar baby as a racist slur in my life. Americans are truly the pioneer of making slur words out of nothing.
"Yeah my enemies are strong, but the will of the emperor is stronger."
keiclay4

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements