Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Postby bmjclark » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:12 pm

Making items in these casting molds really fucking sucks btw. Having to try and guess and check which metal it takes is really annoying. Can you please include the metal cost somewhere in the tooltip?
Last edited by bmjclark on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby jorb » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:
beefy wrote:show recipe of tar baby, please.

Blease give recipe

Tar and turpentine, duh. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:39 pm

Why ya'll always got to bring your annoying real world politics into the game
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby jorb » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:09 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Why ya'll always got to bring your annoying real world politics into the game

Talkin' to me?

I have to admit that the idea that any and all potential bywords for "black" are pejorative is not one I have internalized. I happened to read the story about Brothers Fox and Rabbit the other day, quite simply.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Gacrux » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:11 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Why ya'll always got to bring your annoying real world politics into the game

Your response was quite apt, but unfortunately people aren't politics.

jorb wrote:

Talkin' to me?

I have to admit that the idea that any and all potential bywords for "black" are pejorative is not one I have internalized. I happened to read the story about Brothers Fox and Rabbit the other day, quite simply.

This isn't something I intend to stand on the proverbial soap box because ultimately its haven *shrug* I figured I'd bring this to attention as it could have some relative implications.
Last edited by Gacrux on Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gacrux

Postby NeoRed9 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:21 pm

Now add crows so you can be even more cancelled.
NeoRed9

Postby waga » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 pm

Racist interpretation
Although the term "tar baby" is documented as coming from a folktale of African origin, its modern meaning in America is different. Many consider tar baby to be a pejorative term for African Americans.[21] The Oxford English Dictionary mentions tar baby as "a contemptuous term for a black person",[22] and the subscription version also mentions "a derogatory term for a Black (U.S.) or a Maori (N.Z.)".[1][23]

Several United States politicians—including presidential party nominees John Kerry, John McCain, Mitt Romney[24]—have been criticized by civil rights leaders, the media, and fellow politicians for using the "tar baby" metaphor.[23][25] An article in The New Republic argued that people are "unaware that some consider it to have a second meaning as a slur" and it "is an obscure slur, not even known to be so by a substantial proportion of the population". It continued that, "those who feel that tar baby's status as a slur is patently obvious are judging from the fact that it sounds like a racial slur".[26]

tl;dr : no issue, get over it.
waga

Postby loftar » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:14 am

Gacrux wrote:Also, are we going to ignore the implications the term "tar-baby" has... because its definitely a racial slur.

You'll have to forgive me, but why? No matter how many times I re-read the story, I can't see a way to extrapolate it that way.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby gummi » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:16 am

Can we get our money back because we can't support racism?
Last edited by gummi on Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gummi

Postby Vulgarr » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 am

^
And here comes the anglosphere. "Main characters of the universe and protagonists of the world" Here to tell the native swedes what for!

Letting them know all about how awful and racist they are because they included an item from a book, as a literal reference to an inanimate object, as the inanimate object. Written before the entire playerbase was born, because the Anglo's once used the name of it as a slur and now it's the world's problem and responsibility. :roll:
Vulgarr

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements