Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rainy Sponge

Postby Hadehariast » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:18 pm

I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

Fun fact: tar-baby was the first racial slur I learned from my father when I was a child.

Now, jorb and loftar, you're unfortunately creating a commercial problem for yourselves. Tar-baby will likely get streamers suspended or banned on Twitch and YouTube. Moderation there will be based on American interpretations of the phrase, and they won't care about the nuance or the origins of the story. In fact, the origins in some ways make it worse-- a white man profiting off the backs of black slave stories? It'll be shoot first and ask questions later, like most modern American policing. This would be unfortunate, because you've actually picked up a streamer recently with some decent reach (Nookrium, YT: 144k subs) who has been posting videos of the game since the reset and racking up tens of thousands of views. I'm sure the "muh freedoms" folks here will be quick to encourage you to keep the tar-baby curiosity to spite the "woke" and "SJWs", but it's not their livelihoods on the line, is it? It's awfully easy to say whatever you want when you don't have to face the consequences.

As for the anglosphere, it's the sphere that matters.
Hadehariast

Postby telum12 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:51 pm

Hadehariast wrote:I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

Fun fact: tar-baby was the first racial slur I learned from my father when I was a child.

Now, jorb and loftar, you're unfortunately creating a commercial problem for yourselves. Tar-baby will likely get streamers suspended or banned on Twitch and YouTube. Moderation there will be based on American interpretations of the phrase, and they won't care about the nuance or the origins of the story. In fact, the origins in some ways make it worse-- a white man profiting off the backs of black slave stories? It'll be shoot first and ask questions later, like most modern American policing. This would be unfortunate, because you've actually picked up a streamer recently with some decent reach (Nookrium, YT: 144k subs) who has been posting videos of the game since the reset and racking up tens of thousands of views. I'm sure the "muh freedoms" folks here will be quick to encourage you to keep the tar-baby curiosity to spite the "woke" and "SJWs", but it's not their livelihoods on the line, is it? It's awfully easy to say whatever you want when you don't have to face the consequences.

nvm I'm gonna agree with y'all now. Tar-baby is racist. Idk what it is tbh but it's aparantly a US thing so probably. Y'all low-key retarded. Next you'll tell us we're not allow to use nordic symbols because some US neo-nazis use them. People don't care about the nuance or origin of that, right?

jesus...

If you're going to criticize anything, you might want to criticize the developer's anti-vax stance, obsession with Hitler, the fact that they literally have a "heil" salute in the game & nazi uniforms (both of which were recently on display in Valhalla), etc.
Last edited by telum12 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:52 pm

Edit: Decided I was being a bit too edgy, and also there is decent reason to doubt the source of my information.
Last edited by Sevenless on Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby PonyStew » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm

Hadehariast wrote:Tar-baby will likely get streamers suspended or banned on Twitch and YouTube.

Yeah like streaming H&H is a great idea otherwise if it weren't for "Tar-baby" amirite
PonyStew

Postby Hadehariast » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm

telum12 wrote:
Hadehariast wrote:I guess a lot of ya'll are lucky you didn't grow up in racist households. Tar-baby is the term you use when you want to call a nigger a nigger, but don't know if the folks you're keeping company with are quite as racist as you are. If no one bats an eye, you're in similar company.

Y'all low-key retarded. Next you'll tell us we're not allow to use nordic symbols because some US neo-nazis use them. People don't care about the nuance or origin of that, right?

jesus...

If you're going to criticize anything, you might want to criticize the developer's anti-vax stance, obsession with Hitler, the fact that they literally have a "heil" salute in the game & nazi uniforms (both of which were recently on display in Valhalla), etc.

You can say whatever you want. I said nigger and tar-baby repeatedly in my post. I put my free-speech mouth where my money is. However, there are consequences to speech and actions, and can you realistically tell me that YouTube and Twitch moderation is going to come down in favour of racial slurs? Do you really, honestly, think so? This is a potential commercial issue-- also known as a "real" issue, not an "internet free speech" issue.
Hadehariast

Postby pietin1 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:26 pm

I'm from the deep south in US and I've heard all kinds of racist slurs but usually from ppl that were too lazy to try to better their lives. Not just black ppl but whites as well. Just call the tar baby curio a tar doll. Stop this racist crap!
pietin1

Postby telum12 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Hadehariast wrote:
telum12 wrote:Y'all low-key retarded. Next you'll tell us we're not allow to use nordic symbols because some US neo-nazis use them. People don't care about the nuance or origin of that, right?

jesus...

You can say whatever you want. I said nigger and tar-baby repeatedly in my post. I put my free-speech mouth where my money is. However, there are consequences to speech and actions, and can you realistically tell me that YouTube and Twitch moderation is going to come down in favour of racial slurs? Do you really, honestly, think so? This is a potential commercial issue-- also known as a "real" issue, not an "internet free speech" issue.

(I'll agree with you. Apparently tar baby is an American this so probably racist.)
Last edited by telum12 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby terechgracz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:36 pm

pietin1 wrote:I'm from the deep south in US and I've heard all kinds of racist slurs but usually from ppl that were too lazy to try to better their lives. Not just black ppl but whites as well. Just call the tar baby curio a tar doll. Stop this racist crap!

Sir, do you posess proof that never in history of time phrase "tar doll" was used as racial slur?
Last edited by terechgracz on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terechgracz

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:38 pm

Can out of a season mushrooms spawn after a rain? It would really help with those out of season forage quests. They should also spawn in more biomes after a rain
Fierce_Deity

Postby Sephiron » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Next patch:
Due to reports of the name 'Tar baby' sounding racist, we have changed it now to 'picaninny'.
Added 'Cotton picaninny' curiosity- crafted with cotton and rope

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $9 is the "white Capirote", come celebrate your spanish heritage!
All Gold subscribers have been awarded the "white Capirote", free of charge.

Edit: Not that I care either way, as a white man I am not offended. But maybe change it to "Tar Doll" just to subvert accusations
Sephiron

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements