Game Development: Liberty Shrimp

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Liberty Shrimp

Postby PowerDale2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:49 am

Potatoes when?
PowerDale2

Postby Uriel » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 am

Thx, good update
Uriel

Postby lordgrunt » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:08 am

There really needs to be some alternative to juniper and laurel as spice, maybe some ground dried tubers or nuts. One its a hassle to gather, some areas dont even have laurel in required quantities, at least junipers are plentiful. Also hassle to craft with as berries dont stack like leaves do.
Because of laurel change for example, recipe for laurel crowned roast is preety much obsolete, was a nice early game food
lordgrunt

Postby Sephiron » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:19 am

lordgrunt wrote:There really needs to be some alternative to juniper and laurel as spice, maybe some ground dried tubers or nuts. One its a hassle to gather, some areas dont even have laurel in required quantities, at least junipers are plentiful. Also hassle to craft with as berries dont stack like leaves do.
Because of laurel change for example, recipe for laurel crowned roast is preety much obsolete, was a nice early game food

Idk chives are everywhere. And you can grow laurel/juniper trees in whatever quantity you want. Also, black pepper is so ridiculously good and easy to get you really should be focusing on that instead of laurel or juniper tbqh
Sephiron

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:09 pm

lordgrunt wrote:There really needs to be some alternative to juniper and laurel as spice, maybe some ground dried tubers or nuts. One its a hassle to gather, some areas dont even have laurel in required quantities, at least junipers are plentiful. Also hassle to craft with as berries dont stack like leaves do.

Dill, thyme, sage, chives are all garden pottable and situationally good. Established villages needs literally 100s of pots because of that. None of them are "universally good" like juniper is.

Overall the current spicing system feels bad. It's a massive boost (often +30-50% of the FEP you want), but it's a real pain to grow/process enough juniper berries.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby lordgrunt » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:15 pm

Basically every single thing you said is wrong. (@Sephiron) Chives are not everywhere, selected biomes only. And they are worse even than berries,like 5x
Growing 7 day tree for 5 meals. Great idea.
Black pepper easy? Is this the same game we play? Obv its strong, no agruing that. The only thing you can actually cultivate in meaningful manner.
What I was looking for is more variety of spices that you can reliably collect or cultivate, easy to store, like pepper and more early game, seeing as early game is all most hermits will ever see.
lordgrunt

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm

See, the various skills/credos allow spices grown in pots to scale roughly with need, meaning it is easyish to produce enough to satisfy a need. Juniper berries in particular have always been a problem due to the long growth time/small amount of produce; laurel leaves are now on par with that. We need a happy medium with pot output rates. I'm not sure what that would be, but it isn't 5 berries per tree every week or so. Also, it's a TREE. Trees are bigger than pots. See what I'm saying?

I'm also entirely fine with some crude artificial selection interface. Give each tree a few parameters similar to the animal qualities available on seed inspection: # of seed, growth time, etc. Not really hard to implement and probably good for variety. Of course the easy solution is to make juniper/laurel give 10-20 at a time.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby lordgrunt » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:24 pm

Irl there are also liquid solutions to spices, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar for example. Cinnamon could be added as a tree, grind8ng down whole trees worth of bark could give buckets of the final product
lordgrunt

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:24 pm

took you long enough to remove pali cascade lol
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Reiber » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:53 pm

lordgrunt wrote:.
What I was looking for is more variety of spices that you can reliably collect or cultivate, easy to store, like pepper and more early game, seeing as early game is all most hermits will ever see.

thats just not how spices work, when i cook i dont think"do i have any spices i can throw in there?"
every recepy has 1 spice that is optimal,maybe 1 or 2 optional ones depending wich fep you actually want to get,
so i am rather thinking "i need int,do i make some wolfdogs? no got no junipers" so i cant make wolfdogs.
more spices wouldnt solve the issue, it would only make it worse.
all spices are at least biome bound, so they have an chance of just not being available in the region, meaning you have too bump your detection, and travel far, and then grow them. at home, wich you can do with all of them .

with more spices we would only need to visit more potentially far of biomes to get more gardenpots/trellis/trees, or just not have access too an specific recipe for an specific purpose

the solution for your juniper problem is too collect an inventory full of them, get your shovel, and then fill up your farm/forrest wahtever with enough trees so that you can start eating laurel after this winter.

thats an garbage solution , and we need more bulk laurel,juniper, and mulberry trees than ever, but thats just how it is this world it seems.
Reiber

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements