Game Development: Winter Garden

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Winter Garden

Postby sMartins » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:45 pm

Don't rush it, she said.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby abt79 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:41 pm

jorb wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't know how big the interior is yet, but if it's less than a 1/4th - 1 full mini-map this is going to make farming very tedious and unfun

Maybe drop the factory mentality, and larp a little? :)

Nothing wrong with larp.

As snail got at, the problem is that <the only way to farm during winter> cannot possibly be decoupled from the competitive q grind. The incentive to make a million greenhouses to continue farming during winter is now very high; any player who doesn’t keep their flax, mulch fodder, etc spiraling for the five days loses out big time.

Snail is basically saying “don’t force every player to make a billion of these tiny (and expensive) glass buildings in anticipation of winter to stand any kind of competitive chance”. Larp has nothing to do with it, nobody farms for fun

Also, “factory mentality” is the logical consequence of a game that’s competitive (full loot pvp sandbox) with stat/quality increase systems brimming with early-00s-MMO obscurity and tedium. Kind of bafflingly tonedeaf to make a game that very strongly encourages this gameplay style then continue to decry players who excel within it.
Last edited by abt79 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
abt79

Postby Odynak » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm

Just let these gardens be built in caves. Maybe with some addition like light source.
Odynak

Postby waga » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm

I don't care enough this world with the quality grind, even if I try as much as I can to not fell too behind, but I would be absolutely furious if I had to build 10 greenhouse just to keep pace with other autists.
You can't just say "drop the factory mentaliity , and larp" that's not how it works.
If you don't do it, other will, therefore you're forced to even if you don't want to.
12 tiles is a joke considering the cost.
waga

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:02 pm

cultivars when
Zentetsuken

Postby Reiber » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:13 pm

oh my fucking god you are even adding new season dependant quests with that, would it have been so hard to not make rain and snow different for mystic, thats just infuriating, dance in the rain is possible still one of the easyest quests mystic can give you, but if it dosnt rain on an continent for 3 days and then winter starts thats just 1out of 15 quests that you have too 100% abbandon again. that mystic can roll for you. come on.
Reiber

Postby Ferinex » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:17 pm

Thank you Jorb&Loftar, very cool!

jorb wrote:Maybe drop the factory mentality, and larp a little? :)

:lol: +1
Last edited by Ferinex on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby GamingRAM » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:39 pm

Wouldn't the solution against the factory mentality would be greenhouses, seperated from the "natural" cycle of crop growth, preventing Q growth of said crops?
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:21 am

"jorb how could you do this, if you put a knife in the room I don't have enough self control to stop myself from stabbing people with it, the only solution is for you to remove all the knives!!!!!!!"

yall need to go touch some grass
Zentetsuken

Postby axus » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 am

abt79 wrote:
jorb wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't know how big the interior is yet, but if it's less than a 1/4th - 1 full mini-map this is going to make farming very tedious and unfun

Snail is basically saying “don’t force every player to make a billion of these tiny (and expensive) glass buildings in anticipation of winter to stand any kind of competitive chance”. Larp has nothing to do with it, nobody farms for fun

I farm for fun, though not as competitive as I could. I think winter should remain short, to minimize the advantage greenhouse gives. Also, greenhouse should be big enough that you only need one for a full cycle of every crop / trellis. I forsee greenhouse and long winter definitely cutting into my fun.
axus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements