Game Development: Winter Garden

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Winter Garden

Postby Enzo_Gaultier » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:45 pm

I like these New Greenhouses a lot but i'm sad that with the lack of Cinnabar in the world, and the huge need of it for other stuff in the game this new building will be only a luxury for the big big factions, so i'm seriously asking you to give small groups of people and hermits the means to get Glass Panes a bit more easy than it is now and make winter at least 10 irl days long to really enjoy them which is my favorite season(Ice Stuff and Kicksleds are awesome).

Thanks!.

PS: Polar bears when?

`'°•.,¸ ¸¸,.•°'´`•. 
.: Enzo Gaultier :.
¸¸,.•°´'°•.,¸¸¸¸¸¸,.
Enzo_Gaultier

Postby Sephiron » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:46 pm

Alitis wrote:Great update ! thanks ! looking forward for winter patch.
some ideas:
How about the world had zones like far north and far south winter lasts longer.
This way people could choose in what type of climate they want to live in. I mean, rain is already a local phenomenon, why not snow too. Just in a more permanent basis.
This could also give the option to some people willing to travel far from their base for some seasonal foragables.

Pls no. Everyone actually planning to farm at a reasonable scale will crowd up the center of the map. New players would unintentionally spawn and settle in the extremely long winter zones on the edges and give up because it's literally winter for an irl month. Winter is great, and I'm sure they can make it greater, but it will never be a particularly easy time for new players just on the prospect of them not being able to farm without a greenhouse. I'm all for different 'time zones' though, where the seasons scroll across the map at different times, but it would be bad unless the new players always spawn in the summer zones
Sephiron

Postby Bearcub » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 am

Enzo_Gaultier wrote:I like these New Greenhouses a lot but i'm sad that with the lack of Cinnabar in the world, and the huge need of it for other stuff in the game this new building will be only a luxury for the big big factions, so i'm seriously asking you to give small groups of people and hermits the means to get Glass Panes a bit more easy than it is now and make winter at least 10 irl days long to really enjoy them which is my favorite season(Ice Stuff and Kicksleds are awesome).

Thanks!.

PS: Polar bears when?

Cinnabar boulders are pretty common and you just need to search for it a bit if it's not just next to your door.
Bearcub

Postby Alitis » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:28 am

ItsFunToLose wrote:
Alitis wrote:Great update ! thanks ! looking forward for winter patch.
some ideas:
How about the world had zones like far north and far south winter lasts longer.
This way people could choose in what type of climate they want to live in. I mean, rain is already a local phenomenon, why not snow too. Just in a more permanent basis.
This could also give the option to some people willing to travel far from their base for some seasonal foragables.

and introduce it immediately this world so people who already settled aren't making a reasonable choice, but having things foist upon them willy nilly

Yeah !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alitis

Postby abt79 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:54 am

Holy shit, le Gnomes are ACTUALLY hard at work

now so am I ;)
abt79

Postby Forik » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:04 am

+1 to more seasonal content and making seasons more like they originally were implemented.

All of them should feel unique, and honestly it's kind of sad that winter is so generally hated when it's got the most unique mechanics out of all of them. Still, letting farmers grow crops in greenhouses during winter is a step to making all the seasons a similar length. That way it doesn't feel like it's a game set in the tropics. :D
Forik

Postby Enzo_Gaultier » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:59 am

Bearcub wrote:
Cinnabar boulders are pretty common and you just need to search for it a bit if it's not just next to your door.

I have traveled far and wide since day 1 and i haven't seen ANY cinnabar boulders so a huge area around me didn't have them at all, i invite you good sir to come to my area and see for yourself how they are NOT "pretty common" as you say.

`'°•.,¸ ¸¸,.•°'´`•. 
.: Enzo Gaultier :.
¸¸,.•°´'°•.,¸¸¸¸¸¸,.
Enzo_Gaultier

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:03 am

jorb wrote:[*] Added "Greenhouse", building. You can grow crops in a Greenhouse, even during winter, but each replanting requires you to first apply mulch to the ground. For now, you can't build Trellises in them, but we hope to fix that down the line.

I don't know how big the interior is yet, but if it's less than a 1/4th - 1 full mini-map this is going to make farming very tedious and unfun

edit:

Hey, my prediction was right. Please make this a big pocket dimension, this will result in very cringe strats and people feeling obligated to put big dumb effort into quality farming if they remain as is.

This is nearly crop circles V2 as far as I'm concerned, but it could be a fun addition if they've massive interiors.

Edit2:
The stealth update to area select farming pretty cool tho
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:33 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't know how big the interior is yet, but if it's less than a 1/4th - 1 full mini-map this is going to make farming very tedious and unfun

Maybe drop the factory mentality, and larp a little? :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:42 am

jorb wrote:Maybe drop the factory mentality, and larp a little? :)

The last time I LARPed it was world 12 Balder's Bra snail pavings and realm chat :mrgreen: and you didn't seem to like it very much!

I really like all of the cute LARPy stuff you guys put in, if you ever snooped around our village last world you would see literally hundreds of rocking houses. TBH I desperately want more furniture/sheds/houses like this so I can play sims in haven, but that LARP stuff doesn't need to negatively affect the meta.

If you make the interior VERY BIG without insane mulch quantity requirements it won't negatively affect the people who care, and it won't negatively affect the LARP aspect. I don't see why both parties can't be happy. Please don't leave this in for like 2 years before making it not painful.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements