Game Development: Summer Mound

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Summer Mound

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:16 am

Gacrux wrote:Also any content that inhibits PVP is a positive good change for the game. :D

Winter is only unfun when it comes to PVPers vs. PVPers. Consensual fights, basically. When it comes to ganking nabs winter is kindof fun because the kill rate goes up to practically 100% vs. anybody who doesn't know what they're doing.

Also, it seems extraordinarily short-sighted for the LARPers to celebrate PVP being made less fun to interact with for normal people. Autists will still murder your dumb ass if PVP isn't fun, because killing you is fun. All that changes is less normal people will engage with the system and have a chance to defend themself or you.

irongete wrote:Image

Also this is the kind of shit LARPers jerk off over without 1 second of consideration of the actual game-play implications. Kindof like regular winter.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sephiron » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:57 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Gacrux wrote:Also any content that inhibits PVP is a positive good change for the game. :D

Winter is only unfun when it comes to PVPers vs. PVPers. Consensual fights, basically. When it comes to ganking nabs winter is kindof fun because the kill rate goes up to practically 100% vs. anybody who doesn't know what they're doing.

Also, it seems extraordinarily short-sighted for the LARPers to celebrate PVP being made less fun to interact with for normal people. Autists will still murder your dumb ass if PVP isn't fun, because killing you is fun. All that changes is less normal people will engage with the system and have a chance to defend themself or you.

irongete wrote:Image

Also this is the kind of shit LARPers jerk off over without 1 second of consideration of the actual game-play implications. Kindof like regular winter.

What kind of negative gameplay implications are there in a system like this?
Sephiron

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:17 am

• Can't travel far on boats because 1/4th of the entire map vertically is covered in ice
  • 1/4 - 1/2 of the map near completely empty because that's where winter was at world start
  • Need to carry skiis every fucking where all the fucking time because you might get chased into the snowzone
  • ^ Thingwalling through winter zones would be kinda spooky and tedious because of this
  • Entire vortex system gets fucked because every loop will get trapped inside a frozen lake you have to spend 2 hours digging your knarr out of
  • Every season specific quest becomes a super nomad quest where you have to travel somewhere up to 1/3rd the entire world to find a morel
  • It would cost a bunch of dev time that could've been used on something not shit
  • It would make the PVP required mini-map client features harder to maintain // increase client advantage
  • It would fuck with a lot of people's browser mappers, now that I think about it
  • It would add an obligatory like 30 minutes of travel time before you can actually play the video game if your base is in the winter zone
  • It will make it take much longer for Jorbtar to fix(remove) winter because it will be less obvious and memeable that literally 50% of the player's population just fucking logs out when it's winter, because winter won't be happening at the same time for everybody

This is just off the top of my head, I bet there's a bunch of other shit.
What are the positive gameplay implications of this? Because I'm really struggling to think of anything beyond it being kindof cool conceptually
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:24 am

my brother in christ its so easy to tell you got slapped by a competent player at least once after seeing this comment, its rly pathetic seeing a 100th hermit like that thinking they can get back at the PVPers saying shit like this on forums lmao
also
Gacrux wrote:Are we forgetting that the goal of the game is not PVP and that ultimately should not be the deciding factor between good content or not. I like the patch, do I think its a bandaid? kinda yeah but its a unique problem that will take a lot of work shopping of ideas.

nor is larping, farming, mining, whatever bullshit we can think of, there's content for everybody & no goal but it's usually good if the additions to anything are actually positive, no matter if connected to PVP or farming or w/e
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Necrisha » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:24 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:

I'm fairly certain that's half the purpose for the summer mound- arrange 4-8 of them the right way in a space with a few trees and boulders to make yourselves an arena to fight in the middle of winter... but hey, go ahead and whine anyways.
Necrisha

Postby DonVelD » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:47 pm

Necrisha wrote:i don't know how actual pvp looks/works

yeah we all know buddy
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby ItsFunToLose » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:27 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
  • Can't travel far on boats because 1/4th of the entire map vertically is covered in ice
  • 1/4 - 1/2 of the map near completely empty because that's where winter was at world start
  • Need to carry skiis every fucking where all the fucking time because you might get chased into the snowzone
  • ^ Thingwalling through winter zones would be kinda spooky and tedious because of this
  • Entire vortex system gets fucked because every loop will get trapped inside a frozen lake you have to spend 2 hours digging your knarr out of
  • Every season specific quest becomes a super nomad quest where you have to travel somewhere up to 1/3rd the entire world to find a morel
  • It would cost a bunch of dev time that could've been used on something not shit
  • It would make the PVP required mini-map client features harder to maintain // increase client advantage
  • It would fuck with a lot of people's browser mappers, now that I think about it
  • It would add an obligatory like 30 minutes of travel time before you can actually play the video game if your base is in the winter zone
  • It will make it take much longer for Jorbtar to fix(remove) winter because it will be less obvious and memeable that literally 50% of the player's population just fucking logs out when it's winter, because winter won't be happening at the same time for everybody

This is just off the top of my head, I bet there's a bunch of other shit.
What are the positive gameplay implications of this? Because I'm really struggling to think of anything beyond it being kindof cool conceptually

The Larper hermits will fall even further behind factions in this system as well. Well organized groups will have several bases scattered horizontally across the map and they will charter travel between them to experience whatever season they want, whenever they want.

According to:
Game: 15d (Real: 4d 13h 25m ) - Winter
Game: 30d (Real: 9d 2h 51m ) - Autumn and Spring
Game: 105d (Real: 31d 21h 57m ) - Summer
Game: 180d (Real: 54d 17h 4m ) - HnH Year.

Hermits will be spending:

30/180 = 16.66% of their time in spring
105/180 = 58.33% of their time in summer
30/180 = 16.66% of their time in fall
and 15/180 = 0-8.33% of their time in winter.(0 if they just hibernate for 5 days like any sane individual would in the current system)

Factions will have someone, somewhere, spending:
180/180 = 100% of their playtime in spring
180/180 = 100% of their playtime in summer
180/180 = 100% of their playtime in fall
180/180 = 100% of their playtime in winter

Some meaningless autism, as these numbers aren't really relevant; Seasonal durations will be buffed for factions:
600% more spring
71% more summer
600% more fall
1200% more winter

While hermits continue to whine about seasonal credo quests and the must-abandon nature of a huge percentage of the credo quests, factions will be able to power out any seasonal credo quests with ease.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby noindyfikator » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Jorbtar should hire snugglesnail as game designer, game would be way better. Your posts recently are really high quality
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby WowGain » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Gacrux wrote:People are complaining about how bad pvp is in the winter...

Are we forgetting that the goal of the game is not PVP and that ultimately should not be the deciding factor between good content or not. I like the patch, do I think its a bandaid? kinda yeah but its a unique problem that will take a lot of work shopping of ideas.

Also any content that inhibits PVP is a positive good change for the game. :D

i know that im wasting my time doing this but winter pvp being cancer literally only hurts you and other sprucecaps desperate to avoid being in a fight
i/anyone else trying to gank you is going to have more water than you & more food than you and because of the particulars of ski mechanics, it is quite literally a water/food quantity check unless you can beat your opponent face to face without maneuvering, which you're not going to be doing.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:55 pm

Would forcing people with skis to stop to drink fix this? Sled pvp still stupid I think I've heard, but it's not gonna murder a sprucie so long as they also have a sled.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements