Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:08 am

There's things that I use by memorizing the keybinds like A->I to inspect, but other things like lift I need to bind to the action bar, because it's needed in combat. For example, this makes a huge difference especially when you're fighting 3 vs 6 and you need to play tug of war with a rowboat between 2 bodies of water.

Anyway the drinking action just needs a keybind at all times.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:02 am

Add the drink hotkey as described previously but make it an item
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby xyzzy57 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 am

Redell wrote:
xyzzy57 wrote: I want the *small* UI element where I could right click on the belt, or drag items to or from my hands or my belt slot. I want it always present on screen, as it was yesterday (Ender's for sure, and *probably* also the official client). And I want right click to open the belt, just as right click opens chests, cupboards, boxes, etc., and just as it did yesterday morning.

That's still a thing tho, when the hover inventory pops up, grab the border and undock it and it does stay open after relog.
When Jorb stated in the pre patch:

Oh. You grab the border, which is tiny, rather than the object itself.

I guess the developers are unaware that some percentage of all their potential users have difficulties with ultra-precise mouse placement, including some of their actual players. (I know at least 2 H&H players who have suffered from neuropathy, and presume we have others, not to mention all the other conditions that can cause similar effects.)

*sigh* The teeny tiny x's used to close some pop-ups have been annoying enough for me; I much prefer the ones I can close by repeating the the action that opened them, or by using a keyboard shortcut. Fortunately it rarely takes me more than two tries to successfully click those little X's, and I never need to do so in a hurry.

This on top of the fact that it never occurred to me that edge and body of an object that only appears on mouse-over would behave differently when clicked; usually when the edges of a UI element do something special, they are big and prominent, as with a window's title bar.

One more question - how persistent is the detached pop-up, once I succeed in detaching it? Will it survive an accidental disconnection? an intentional character switch (sleep or the switch character UI)? reloading of the client?

[Edit: I missed that the post I'm quoting said "it does stay open after relog"]

[Second edit: @Jorbtar - how about a keyboard shortcut for open-and-detach-the-thing-my-mouse-is-vaguely-pointing-at, and a second keyboard shortcut for close-the-thing-my-mouse-is-vaguely-pointing-at? That would make playing a lot easier for those of us who have issues with precise mousing.]
xyzzy57

Postby xyzzy57 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:43 am

Audiosmurf wrote:
jorb wrote:
dagrimreefah wrote:Ender's drink button (which doesn't work anymore) was so much better than this "drink on your hotkey belt" bullshit...

How did that work?

It just scans for any available container with drinkable contents in any available inventory (not open containers, I think,) and sends it a right click -> drink. Right now it can only see your inventory proper, while previously it could see inside your belt too.

Edit: Any time someone said "drink hotkey" this is more or less explicitly what they were asking for.

+1
xyzzy57

Postby Pills » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 am

Solid update tbh.

Only downsides i've found so far in default client is silkworms won't eat when bundled, tbh i'd rather they just didn't go into bundles at all. And the removal of right clicking items to open their containers and having to rely on the drag thing, no biggie on the second, didn't take long to reimplement right clicking into my client.

Also, massive fan of the redrawn icons, they look so much nicer.
And thanks for fixing the fish nets being sunk!
Pills

Postby springyb » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:48 am

Based update, keep up the good work.
springyb

Postby pagsiu » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:16 am

Good patch in overall, but it needs some polishing. Especially:

1. Drink button shouldn't require placing waterskins on a hotbar (maybe check belt/eq for fluid vessels?)
  2. Drink button should work for other fluids than water (tea / milk plz)
  3. It should be possible to create stockpiles with bundled items
  4. Barter stands should pick from bundles in player inventory (they don't)
  5. Transferring bundled ore from inventory to smelter fucking sucks, make it so ctrl+shift de-bundles ore when transferring to smelters
  6. Fix barter stands not showing correct amount of items ("0 available")
  7. Fix ant bundles - they can no longer be bundled (but they could before patch)
  8. Add option to turn on / off auto-bundling
  9. Fix bundled silkworms not eating mulberry leaves (or disable bundling of silkworms)
  10. Revert that damn shift placement change you did a few patches ago

That's all I can think of ATM. There are probably many more issues to fix that players already reported.
Literally no one.
pagsiu

Postby vatas » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:11 am

The current drink button implementation is of very limited use unless you use a custom client where you can have an extra 10-slot hotbar just for placing the waterskins, and even then Exquisite belt can hold 16, Troll belt 25 waterskins. Yes, the meta for going outside is to have your entire belt be just waterskins (preferably ones at full capacity with hq water.) Water is just that important if you have to flee player(s) chasing you.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby steelman » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am

Please add auto-stacking function to the items sent by barter trade.
steelman

Postby hiddenfun » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:49 am

pagsiu wrote:Good patch in overall, but it needs some polishing. Especially:

1. Drink button shouldn't require placing waterskins on a hotbar (maybe check belt/eq for fluid vessels?)
  2. Drink button should work for other fluids than water (tea / milk plz)
  3. It should be possible to create stockpiles with bundled items
  4. Barter stands should pick from bundles in player inventory (they don't)
  5. Transferring bundled ore from inventory to smelter fucking sucks, make it so ctrl+shift de-bundles ore when transferring to smelters
  6. Fix barter stands not showing correct amount of items ("0 available")
  7. Fix ant bundles - they can no longer be bundled (but they could before patch)
  8. Add option to turn on / off auto-bundling
  9. Fix bundled silkworms not eating mulberry leaves (or disable bundling of silkworms)
  10. Revert that damn shift placement change you did a few patches ago

That's all I can think of ATM. There are probably many more issues to fix that players already reported.

I want to add to this list:
  1. Let us bundle fish again!
  2. Let us bundle different items of the same type again. With nuggets, flowers and fish it is super important.
  3. Add some indication to items if it is stackable. I have to check all items and have at least 2 of them. Not very convinient
  4. Show stack average q. I have to hover my mouse to see all sticks q in stack for example
  5. Previous realization of bundled categories with showing whats inside would be much superior. New stacked items of the same type (with ore and some other stuff) is a nice new feature

So to the sollution. If we hold an item and RMB on another SAME item - it is stacked as now.
If we hold an item and RMB on another item of the same type, but not the same item - Bundle them!

Stacking saves more space, but bundling adds more flexability.
hiddenfun

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements