Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby TerraSleet » Tue May 09, 2023 4:12 pm

The_Blode wrote:hyperbole begets hyperbole
don't dish it out if you can't take it

Where have I been hyperbolic?
TerraSleet

Postby The_Blode » Wed May 10, 2023 1:43 am

TerraSleet wrote:With how hostile some people in the community are towards the devs, it honestly doesn't surprise me that they keep to themselves. I wouldn't want to hang out with a bunch of people who repeatedly berated my work and called me names either - regardless of whether or not they have valid points.

this whole post lmao
absolutely daft
The_Blode

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed May 10, 2023 3:25 am

The_Blode wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:With how hostile some people in the community are towards the devs, it honestly doesn't surprise me that they keep to themselves. I wouldn't want to hang out with a bunch of people who repeatedly berated my work and called me names either - regardless of whether or not they have valid points.

this whole post lmao
absolutely daft

Full offense, but your post suggests that you have no clue whatsoever what hyperbole means.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 10, 2023 3:30 am

He's, like, literally 100% right.

Everybody who cares enough about Haven to talk to Jorbtar about it has mostly bad things to say, and if I were Jorbtar I wouldn't wanna deal with that.

Game bad/was better in 2020 and 2018 btw
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed May 10, 2023 4:13 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:He's, like, literally 100% right.

Everybody who cares enough about Haven to talk to Jorbtar about it has mostly bad things to say, and if I were Jorbtar I wouldn't wanna deal with that.

Game bad/was better in 2020 and 2018 btw

No one who matters gives a shit what you think retard
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 am

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby TerraSleet » Wed May 10, 2023 9:24 am

The_Blode wrote:

this whole post lmao
absolutely daft

That's not hyperbole. I can give multiple examples of literally "berating the devs work and calling them names" if you want - from multiple people, some recent too. My point is that doing this is unconstructive if you actually want the game to change, not to single these people out and call them evil or something.

And "the devs keeping to themselves" isn't hyperbole either - you said it yourself:
The_Blode wrote:[We're] being subjected to an extended period of radio silence with the rare "stuff is coming" post
TerraSleet

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 am

TerraSleet wrote:My point is that doing this is unconstructive if you actually want the game to change

A decade of occasional polite drink keybind suggestions/requests: no drink keybind
A few months of mean spirited mockery/memes/personal insults: drink keybind

rly makes u thonk
SnuggleSnail

Postby noindyfikator » Wed May 10, 2023 10:19 am

If not snail this game would be way worse. This lil boy did more for the game than all of us combined.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby TerraSleet » Wed May 10, 2023 11:28 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:My point is that doing this is unconstructive if you actually want the game to change

A decade of occasional polite drink keybind suggestions/requests: no drink keybind
A few months of mean spirited mockery/memes/personal insults: drink keybind

rly makes u thonk

I thonked about it.

I think the difference is in "occasional" vs "repeated". I looked up "drink keybind", "drink hotkey" and "auto drink" and found very few results actually suggesting vanilla auto-drink. Granted, forum search function is garbage, maybe I missed them. The main posts about it are from you and a few others from 2020 onwards repeatedly mentioning lack of drink keybind as a case for vanilla client being a huge disadvantage in PVP. My guess is not many people thought about/suggested it because not many serious PVPers use the vanilla client even since Legacy, and just assumed auto-drink is a thing that everyone else was using along with bots/macros, better minimap and automapping tools, auto-hearth/auto-aggro (back when auto-hearthing was an issue), custom keybinds and other things from custom clients.

Honestly my biggest complaint about clients isn't that the vanilla client sucks for PVP (it does), but that there's an in-game incentive for people to keep their advantageous client features private. Not much can be done about that I guess besides the people in question making their clients public, or the devs prioritizing putting all these private client features in the vanilla client to level the playing field entirely. But then that creates an arms race of ever better custom clients, with people eventually automating PVP and base building itself, until nobody is even playing the game anymore, they're just playing a version of Factorio but with villages of bots instead of assemblers (yes that's hyperbole, for those unaware.) That's a lot of dev work being put into the vanilla client that can be left to third parties to do instead. And I'm not just talking about "fix flower menu, flattern terrain, hide trees/rocks button", there's a laundry list of other QoL and advantageous things that custom clients add that would have to be implemented.

I found a thread from Nightdawg about this specifically that I haven't read through yet but seems insightful: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=69306&hilit=drink+keybind
TerraSleet

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements