Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Stack of Stacks

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 pm

The rare patch with only positive changes. Not even any neutral changes, it's just all good.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby pietin1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:35 pm

I keep getting Haven error and can't get on game :cry:
pietin1

Postby loftar » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 pm

pietin1 wrote:I keep getting Haven error and can't get on game :cry:

What error? What client?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Redell » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:45 pm

loftar wrote:Pushed some more smaller accrued fixes that don't really warrant their own announcement:
  • When mousewheeling into inventories that only accept some items (eg. herbalist tables, smelters, &c), the transfer will try to find items in stacks (and also other container items) to see if something matches. It's a general mechanism, so I'm not sure if it might have some unintended consequences that are less desirable, but I haven't found any obvious yet.
  • The Drink action still uses the general autodrink mechanism that is invoked when out of stamina, but this mechanism has been augmented such that, if you have nothing drinkable bound to your hotbelt, it looks for anything drinkable that your character has. The intention is that if you don't care what you auto-drink or the order in which they are prioritized, just don't bind anything, and if you do, you can bind the things you want to drink.
  • If a chippable boulder is in the way when area-mining, the character will first prefer to chip down said rock. Hopefully this lessens the problem with boulders preventing area-mining.
  • The following things now stack: Feathers, entrails, intestines, animal fat, rendered fat, butter, eggs, and bone material.

Nice. But why just walrus tusk and no other antler/claw/tooth stacks?
NaoWhut wrote:He didn't realize we can be anywhere in the world because of jorb friendship magic <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR6oKh7-hc
Redell

Postby jordancoles » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 pm

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Can items be be sold out of stacks in barter stands? or are there plans for that?

The current implementation is that barter stands very explicitly and intentionally recurse into stacks to find items for sale. The reason for this is to be able to see the actual item that you're buying instead of a stack that doesn't really tell you much about the items inside it. I actually thought that barter stands already had the option to sell multiple items at once, but now that I look at it again, it seems I had only dreamt that. Will consider that as a future addition.

Neat

Any reason why boards/blocks aren't stackable? I've also noticed walrus tusks can be stacked, but whale bones/teeth, wolf claws, antlers, bear teeth and lynx claws cannot.

I assume there are still a lot of specific types that might have just been overlooked so far
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby boshaw » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:52 pm

loftar wrote:Pushed some more smaller accrued fixes that don't really warrant their own announcement:
  • When mousewheeling into inventories that only accept some items (eg. herbalist tables, smelters, &c), the transfer will try to find items in stacks (and also other container items) to see if something matches. It's a general mechanism, so I'm not sure if it might have some unintended consequences that are less desirable, but I haven't found any obvious yet.

Can this be extended to selling items to the barter stands as well? Right now if a Barter Stand for instance is buying Bone Material, and in your inventory you have a `Bone Material, stack of` it won't let you sell to it until you break down the stack into individual items. Seems a bit silly since buying from Barter Stands will auto-stack, yet you can't sell back to it with stacks.

Also is the # left on Barter Stands being looked at still as it shows 0 always for Barter Areas & Barter Poles. It at least used to work for Barter Poles for the current container it was taking out of up to that containers limit. Then would reset to the next container's.
boshaw

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:01 am

loftar wrote:
pietin1 wrote:I keep getting Haven error and can't get on game :cry:

What error? What client?

Ender's, though I can't imagine what broke it.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby Aoyama » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:11 am

Ender broke

Code: Select all
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: info factory missing either build bmethod
   at haven.ItemInfo$InfoFactory.build(ItemInfo.java:111)
   at haven.AttrBonusesWdg.make(AttrBonusesWdg.java:196)
   at haven.AttrBonusesWdg.build(AttrBonusesWdg.java:170)
   at haven.AttrBonusesWdg.tick(AttrBonusesWdg.java:95)
   at haven.Widget.tick(Widget.java:744)
   at haven.GameUI.tick(GameUI.java:1425)
   at haven.UI.tick(UI.java:236)
   at haven.JOGLPanel.run(JOGLPanel.java:569)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Aoyama

Postby loftar » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:13 am

boshaw wrote:Can this be extended to selling items to the barter stands as well?

Right, yes, that should be fixed, and should probably be an easy fix. I realized that the "sell multiple items" thing can actually be a somewhat tricky implementation since the barter stand needs the ability to revert the transaction if it's failing in the middle for whatever reason, which can be difficult to accomplish for multiple involved items. Will still consider if I can make it work, but recursing into stacks and containers for finding the "price items" should be simple enough.

boshaw wrote:Also is the # left on Barter Stands being looked at still as it shows 0 always for Barter Areas & Barter Poles.

I'd like to fix it, but it's a fair bit tricky, especially for keeping properly updated. It was easy when we had neither areas nor poles and the hand just had one inventory to monitor, but the multi-monitoring situation that would be required to be accurate with the current more complex situation would be a fair bit of work. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I feel it falls rather low on the work-to-output scale.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby pietin1 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:17 am

I have ender client and I still get Haven error
I get all the way until last step of login and then it pops up Haven error and won't go any farther
pietin1

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements