Game Development: Loose Velvet

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Loose Velvet

Postby jorb » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:49 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Implemented "Loose Rock". Loose Rock spawns where previously we used to spawn Cave Slimes or Boreworms. Mining near it may cause it to collapse, spawning random things, for example Cave Slimes or Boreworms. Destroying it will cause it to spawn random things. Loose Rock interrupts area mining should it spawn. I think of Loose Rock as a Mine Piñata, and I suggest you do the same.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • The higher tier mine supports have been given more HP (1.5x, 2.0x, respectively.).
  • Mine Supports now take less damage when preventing cave ins (about 0.5x). When a Mine Support prevents a cave in, the normal collapsing stone effect is played on it to indicate that.
  • Ore Quality variance now takes effect per tile, rather than per piece of ore. This means that, all other things being equal, all ore from any single mine tile will be of uniform quality.
  • When outside the protection of a mine support, encountering a mine warning tile (e.g. one near a cavein tile, where cave dust falls) will interrupt area mining operations.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Several things now stack: Soil, Clay, Bricks, Plant Fibre, Wool, Carrots, Beets, Turnips, all Onion types, Champignons, Peapods, Pepper (Boiled or not), Hops, Grapes, Raisins, Prunes and Chum Bait.
  • "Food Trough"s are now effectively implemented as a specific type of barrel, meaning they will present the same GUI as barrels, complete with, most importantly, an "Empty" button.
  • Picking up a toad with a hat on should now drop the hat to the ground, rather than send it to eternal limbo.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $9, is the "Orange Velvet".

Store Description wrote:Image$9 A puff of soft cloth, wearing the perfume of a far-off citrus grove.

All Gold subscribers have been awarded the "Orange Velvet", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • The main thrust of this patch consists of addressing this thread. A couple of notes:
    • Essentially we have taken some sort of decision in principle to support "youtube mining", i.e. players not having to pay 100% attention to the game while (area) mining.
    • The unexplored vastness of the mine is a great place to hide various drops, both dangerous and otherwise, and we want to be able to continue do that. We need/want some mechanic(s) per which stuff can get spawned as a consequence of mining out tiles. Loose Rock came to mind.
    • Trolls, as they are a bit special, still spawn per the old mineout mechanic.
    • Let us know if these changes miss the mark in some fundamental way.
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • Our primary development direction is toward object-controlled-objects.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Loose Velvet

Postby Norster » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:52 pm

I don't often comment here but pog update
Norster

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:56 pm

Crazy how patches are so damn good when you listen to a competent player rather than some dumb ass larper that played for 10+ years but still can't kill a bear.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby 524u » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Nice work! :D
B)
524u

Postby Clemins » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:58 pm

jorb wrote: When a Mine Support prevents a cave in, the normal collapsing stone effect is played on it to indicate that.

You mean the same exact sound that plays when a cave in actually occurs? My God man the PTSD from hearing this while mining for so many years going to take so SO long to undo.

But hey, thanks for taking a crack at changing mining up a little, hopefully this all works as intended.

The loose stone piles sound a little sketchy tho.

Someone else will figure it out, w15 when.
Clemins

Postby Robertzon » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:00 pm

nice
Robertzon

Postby delsus » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:01 pm

Can you please add a toggle for the mining protection feature? That would be neat for those mining one tile tunnels with a miner's helm for instance - or suicidal miners.
delsus

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:01 pm

Clemins wrote:You mean the same exact sound that plays when a cave in actually occurs? My God man the PTSD from hearing this while mining for so many years going to take so SO long to undo.

No, the same effect as for when a tile is mined out. It's mostly just intended as a way to make people aware that mine supports are damaged by mining operations, since I suspect a lot of their collapses are just caused by simple ignorance of the mechanic.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:02 pm

Bad patch, kill miners, devour their corrupted flesh, pummel their savage essence into the dirt
DDDsDD999

Postby klouyd » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:04 pm

oooh i love that you can see the pillars get hit with each fall in! =)
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
klouyd

Next

Return to Announcements