Game Development: Loose Velvet

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Loose Velvet

Postby fairystyle » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:44 pm

Hi! Great patch, thank you
Loose rocks are way better than insta spawn!
But a weirdge thing happened to me.
So, i already tested new mining and this is how it went
Two times loose rocks were spawned and everything went as its supposed to, one time i broke it and faced slimes, another time i managed to avoid breaking loose rock and got away with it
But then i kept mining in straight lines on my second monitor, peering at miner from time to time
And out of nowhere i heard aggro sound, looked at my miner and found him aggroed by pack of slimes spawned on ruins of a loose rock, so my area mining wasn't interrupted by me stopping in front of loose rock, it got collapsed without my will or even noticing it that time, i think that's not how its intended to be. Funny part is that it repeated in exactly same way within 20 tiles of further mining, but with bigger pack of slimes heh
Maybe it has something to do with auto-chipping boulders in front of the miner or maybe rocks are still little too loose? :)
fairystyle

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:28 am

Loose rocks spawn in broken. Confirmed by 3 people so far.

Clearly a bug. Gotta wait for loftar to fix it I guess.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby quarc » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:50 am

very cool
thanks J&L!
quarc

Postby noindyfikator » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:26 am

job wrote:Essentially we have taken some sort of decision in principle to support "youtube mining", i.e. players not having to pay 100% attention to the game while (area) mining.

How to play the game without actually playing the game.

I mean.. patch is very good but mining process should be more engaging (combine it with rewarding) instead of area select with youtube video
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby wafflecat » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:33 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
job wrote:Essentially we have taken some sort of decision in principle to support "youtube mining", i.e. players not having to pay 100% attention to the game while (area) mining.

How to play the game without actually playing the game.

I mean.. patch is very good but mining process should be more engaging (combine it with rewarding) instead of area select with youtube video

Not everyone likes to suffer
wafflecat

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:44 pm

The EVE mentality of "if you aren't 119% eyeball glued to your screen at all times as you watch absolutely nothing happen except timers tick down you deserve to get curbstomped in real life" isn't one I really like. It's ok for some tasks that are normally in "relatively safe from enemy player" areas to be semi-afk. Sometimes it's nice to feel productive without having your soul drained 24/7
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby noindyfikator » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:50 pm

I would rather play the game and be more productive than watch youtube meanwhile my character mine. Isn't it the point of modern games to actually encourage players to play a game instead of have it running in background?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:24 pm

Runescape is the single most popular MMO in the world, and it has had this shit down for years&years.

The content people actually like, and therefore most of what makes it into the game, is either high attention + high activity, or low attention + low activity.

High activity + high attention boss: click in the right spot every few seconds or you get fucked

Low activity + low attention: click the tree and wait until it falls down, click it again when it falls down, no consequence for not clicking it in time

Mining in haven is low activity + high attention: press 10 buttons per minute, but if you're not INTENSELY focused on the game almost playing itself you WILL get KOed by a mine support breaking or get surrounded by slime. Shit sucks, and if anything this patch could've gone further considering you're expected to mine for hundreds of hours per world.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:27 pm

This is the kind of solutions I like, not instantly removing the hard part but changing in to something more interesting.
It adds depth to the game and fixes the issue players were complaining about, it is a much better solution to the problem than we players could think of.

Mining piñata 10/10
Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:37 pm

Another thing Runescape has figured that Haven hasn't is capturing returning players. There's an interview somewhere with Andrew Gower talking about how important it is to their strategy that returning players have very low learning curves/adversity so they stay long enough to get invested before the game asks them to put in effort.

In haven none of the strategies from last world work in newer worlds. Foundational mechanics arbitrarily change all the time, and if you didn't read a random patch note from 18 months ago you'd have no way to know.

Recently a guy from my willage suggested we all login to go to a meteor. if we all went there there's a good chance at least one of us would've stayed logged in to do something else. If one of us kept playing a bit there's a good chance they would've encouraged others to join them. Positive feedback loop.

You know what happened instead? SadBear mentioned it's winter and entire group did a collective:
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements