Game Development: Bullfinch Falls

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bullfinch Falls

Postby ulbu » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:10 pm

It takes forever to spitroast bullfinch. Is it expected? 1% a time, and 19% for 2 blocks or smth.

EDIT: it does not.
Last edited by ulbu on Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ulbu

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:58 pm

ulbu wrote:It takes forever to spitroast bullfinch. Is it expected? 1% a time, and 19% for 2 blocks or smth.

People have been complaining about "spit roasting is too slow" for ages. but if I understood you correctly and you filled the Fireplace to its maximum fuel capacity, spent all fuel and it's still only 19% done, something is not right.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby jpjpjpppjp » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:36 pm

What if whenever you inherited, the hunger would reset but as you would start building your stats up to where your ancestor previously was, a hunger bonus would slowly be applied so that when you had pretty much equivalent stats, to the previous character, the hunger would be pretty much the same as well.
jpjpjpppjp

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:53 pm

what if you only gained hunger when you gained stats, inherited hunger, and lost hunger based on your stats vs. global leader
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby squeezy102 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:56 pm

MightySheep wrote:
loftar wrote:
MightySheep wrote:Why should death not be punishing?

Being reset to 300% when youve got an end game table is such a huge long term advantage because your hunger % barely moves with an end game table so in the long run you just end up ahead of everyone else eating the same stuff. I know because it happened to me last world.

I'm a total noob and barely understand the game, but I do have eyeballs and I do know what numbers represent, and I can understand something as simple as "number go up = good."

That said, my buddy and I started off in this world and pretty much only played together. One day, I fucked around too close to a bear and found out. My character died a horrible, tragic death.

It all played out not too far from our base, so I was easily able to go retrieve my body and bury it, and inherit a good chunk of my stats.

My friend and I were both pretty shocked at how many stats I actually got back from the process, and with the 300% hunger bar, we decided to just force a bunch of food down my new character's gullet until he was at about 150%.

Needless to say, from that point on (until I was recently murdered because my friend left a door open) my stats were way ahead of my friend's stats. Like.... WAY ahead. He was sitting in the 60s and 70s for his main stats for what he was choosing to do, and I was sitting at like 120 strength, 100 agi, 95 perception, etc.

Nearly a 100% difference in every category. And I had died, and he hadn't - so logic would dictate that he should be ahead of me, but the inverse was true.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. Seems pretty exploitable. Kinda garbage tbh.
squeezy102

Postby Reiber » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:29 pm

why take away the last instance where ranged weapons had some use? not being able to be chased forever and drivebys where cool nontoxic uses of bows.
now its back to only crafting one for hunter and strider credo, and then throwing it into an river.
Reiber

Postby sMartins » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:36 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Added an effect to flowing/leaning water tiles, aka waterfalls. Note that this is a pretty WIP effect, but one that we felt pretty hyped about nonetheless. Do note that you need to update your client to see the effect.

Cool!

By the way, is it not possible, when creating the map, to make rivers always flow from higher to lower ground? And in case there is a positive terrain difference make it so that rivers are always at a lower level in the terrain, consistent with where they come from?
Zero level is the sea level, of course.

Nice work though.

This however is a visual bug regarding the reflection when it rains, only visible from certain angles, maybe the bad cam's fault, I'm not sure.

I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby jpjpjpppjp » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:06 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:what if you only gained hunger when you gained stats, inherited hunger, and lost hunger based on your stats vs. global leader

That would be pretty good, would also somewhat help as a catch up mechanic.
jpjpjpppjp

Postby ulbu » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:58 am

vatas wrote:People have been complaining about "spit roasting is too slow" for ages. but if I understood you correctly and you filled the Fireplace to its maximum fuel capacity, spent all fuel and it's still only 19% done, something is not right.

Nah, I'm just blind (and/or retarded)
ulbu

Postby riker88 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:02 pm

All this talk of hungerside has got me wanting to try it to see if I can power level up.

Although I have never maxed out my full hunter meter, I usually just eat when low on energy, I don't believe I've ever gotten the meter above 40% on any world I've ever played on.

Thank you for the patch , any patch is appreciated.

Would have been nice since you guys were playing with wall damage to include the ability for claim owners to deconstruct their own wall segments without having to build wrecking balls and having to worry about cascading damage, or drying time timers every time you move it. there are times I want to move a wall and its such a hassle.
riker88

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements