Game Development: Bullfinch Falls

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bullfinch Falls

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:49 pm

MightySheep wrote:Why should death not be punishing?

Just to be clear, I haven't seen the hunger reset as "making death not punishing", but rather just as a small nice thing just to get you started.

I don't want to make this a bigger deal than it has to be though, it's not something I'd never consider changing. I just want to make sure we change it for the right reasons, and not just because there's an uproar over nothing. Will consider.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby abt79 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:50 pm

jorb wrote:Small Fixes
----------------------
  • Fixed an issue by which it was possible to drink from hotkeyed vessels in belts stuffed in e.g. pelican pouches.
Enjoy!

My waterskins inside trollbelts inside pelican pouch strats!!!

finally we’re back to the birdaweek filler patches xd
abt79

Postby Clemins » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:52 pm

In all seriousness though, this was a funky patch
Clemins

Postby R509 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:53 pm

Burzan wrote:
R509 wrote:Disappointing nothingburger patch which fixed maybe 1 real problem (gates not cascading west) and continues to let hungercide reign supreme. The open gate cascading also sucks, imagine losing your entire Pali because of one misplaced tile, really hurting the little and inexperienced ones with this one. Oh and the primary use case of ranged (shooting pursuers on the water to have a chance at escaping) being killed is another real kicker, ranged confirmed for useless again.

The devs already proved that it doesn't reign supreme and even looked at the data like the players asked to, but I guess you'll just ignore it because it doesn't affirm the myth of hungercide.
The devs first looked at miner chars (str) which eat cbs on cbs of str food and nothing else because the LP loss would be worse for miner chars than the str gain from death.
Then when they looked at AGI chars (generally speaking these are fighters) they confirmed many top characters have ancestors, and I think they said one of the top chars has 3 ancestors which is quite a lot to die in the amount of time that has passed this world. The fact is people hunger resetting from full dying is giving them a stat benefit and even if most players can't stand the tedium of constantly suiciding many more have seen only benefits from their deaths. I've literally watched dying be a net benefit to people I know for this reason, even watched a guy last world get a wreched gore, attempt surgery, only to go "welp time to just eat everything and die". I also wonder how "Natural" these deaths jorbtar see are, how many are from attempted "surgery" that they just see as murder death. People in this thread are testifying to dying having been a net BENEFIT for them, which seems very backwards in a game where death is supposed to be AT LEAST a setback, hell people still call the game permadeath but death is only a detriment to those who are not gaining much satiation nor hunger from slower gameplay (hermits, casual villagers, etc). Yeah there's more tedium from death but after your satiations and hunger are where they were before death you're way above in terms of stats. They could nerf inheriting to make it feel more like permadeath again if not an actual, or they could overhaul the FEP system for the millionth time. Maybe you could inherit 60% of your satiations along with the 60% of your stats you inherit.
t. Ryan
R509

Postby HarryDresden » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:09 am

Thanks for the patch, suggestion of small change for next one; Please make Roe Deer count for Venison recipes and make the antlers useable, at least for silverware if not for hartshorn.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby fulma » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:48 am

If it was so bad as you guys are saying you all would be doing it by now...
in world 10 or 12 when the credo quest count reseted every time you died and I was living on a big faction village everyone had at least one alt full on suiciding
fulma

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:32 am

jorb wrote:
  • Moving now interrupts ranged weapon aiming, including if you are a passenger on a mount.

lol I should rly start counting how many changes I'm directly responsible for

loftar wrote:Admittedly, I might not have looked at enough data, but the complaints I've received about this have been to the effect of "other people are doing this", and then when I've looked at other people, they've generally died to other causes rather than suicide.

Do you have snapshots of previous points in the world? I'd look at 24 hours after the second/third mine layer being unlocked.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Barbamaus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 am

No new stacks? :(
Barbamaus

Postby MightySheep » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 am

loftar wrote:
MightySheep wrote:Why should death not be punishing?

Just to be clear, I haven't seen the hunger reset as "making death not punishing", but rather just as a small nice thing just to get you started.

I don't want to make this a bigger deal than it has to be though, it's not something I'd never consider changing. I just want to make sure we change it for the right reasons, and not just because there's an uproar over nothing. Will consider.

The primary way it works is you start new world and go crazy on eating so you have turbocharged stats in exchange for totally fucking up your hunger bar, and you can be the first to be able to do a lot of things, first to see glimmers/foragables, first to be able to kill animals, OP stats for those early game fights while everyone else is hesitating to go too hard on this shit tier early world food with no real table. Then when when you get a full metal table and your hunger is absolute dumpstered you suicide and reset back to 300% and you can probably do this 2 or 3 times in the early world as Felix did.

I know all the best foods, I know how to eat properly and our industry is decent enough but our fights with Felix my client tells me I'm half his agi. Why? Because of this dumb mechanic that you apparently want us to all engage in. I agree that very few people actually do engage in it because it's such a pain in the ass and nobody wants to have to do it but just the fact that it exists is like having a race with steroid abusers it sucks the fun out of it. Being reset to 300% when youve got an end game table is such a huge long term advantage because your hunger % barely moves with an end game table so in the long run you just end up ahead of everyone else eating the same stuff. I know because it happened to me last world.

I am not 1 of the tards who whines about overblown forum rumours. What I just described is common sense if you understand this hunger system. Just stop and think about how silly it is that last world the people in our village who fucked up and died were rewarded with the best stats in the long run.

Felix stats in database may not be as OP as they otherwise would have been because we managed to trap and kill him shortly after he had already suicided so that was a plain set back but not a very big one because dying means almost nothing in this game. Its not widespread because nobody wants to have to do this shit its tedious as hell and not fun especially if you want to use your character for stuff other than pvp because the lp loss is just annoying.

Also will consider is jorbs thing u need to get ur own catchphrase :evil:
MightySheep

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:41 am

lmao I've done 1 (one) 5 minute fight with an archer and the game is definitely worse now
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements