Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Postby Harunobu » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:47 pm

You use the past tense, but bunny slippers are still in the game and give the same advantage catching rabbits as before.
Harunobu

Postby donbot » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:02 am

store hats are not updated
What amazes me more than how light the punishment was, is how nothing was done about it ingame. I'm actually starting to think people are frightened that you'll do it again, so to protect the server, they work with you instead of going against you, all in the hopes that you will leave the server alone.
donbot
Under curfew

Postby abt79 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:16 am

To be clear on why Storm of Swords is dumb Overpowered:

• There are essentially two types of attacks, “openers” that increase openings quickly (Opknock, quick barrage, uppercut, etc) and “finishers” that do a lot of damage at once but have big cooldowns (cleave, full circle, sting, etc). Having to alternate between these two types of attacks is a skill-based decision (ie how high do I have to open before I finish).
  • Storm works as both since it increases openings by a ton and can do 200% weapon damage, and at 2IP is cheaper than the best finisher (Cleave, 6) and the best opener (Opknocks, 4 - debatable if it’s “best” but certainly most powerful). So Storm decks forego the interesting skill test and yet do more than enough damage to be competitive with skill based decks.

Especially with the changes to speed buffs it wouldn’t surprise me if every pvper runs a SoS deck with Cutblade instead of the usual b12/cleave meta.
Which would hilariously backfire on the Whatever Bay brigade who were spamming stream chat because Storm favors the No Skill Zerg Rush strategy their noob army depends on.
Last edited by abt79 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
abt79

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:16 am

RE: PVP changes

I'm gonna try to be as OBJECTIVE as possible and only make statements that the vast, vast majority of informed people would agree with and avoid any of my opinions that aren't common consensus.

The majority of skill expression in PVP comes from movement, and removing avenues for that (bunny slippers, forager) greatly lowers to skill ceiling. It will also greatly advantages the side of the fight that's "winning"/chasing (more people, higher stats, etc) because if similarly skilled it will be very hard to get people off of you. IMO, the game punishing you for being weaker in this way is bad because it encourages degenerate overly safe/zergy gameplay.

Similarly, I don't know for sure if storm of actually super duper overpowered and un-counterable, but what definitely does upset people who fight it is that it's EXTREMELY low skill to use. If you give a shitter a B12 and a red/blue deck they are completely useless because they use it wrong. They'll cleave at the wrong time and get put into a huge cooldown get punished HARD for it. They'll be afraid to cleave when they can do so safely and therefore never do damage. They won't be able to setup combos with other players. It's hard to use, and that's why "competitive" players like it.

SOS on the other hand, if you stack coins, stand next to your group, hit target nearest then storm you will probably be like 70% as effective as a really good player even if you're super new/inexperienced. Which is obviously very frustrating for the retard that's spent the last 3 years playing the game only to fight who's relatively good. Not being able to beat somebody who is clearly less skilled than you feels bad.

I think the choice for which way you go with these issues depends largely on your vision for the game. If you want PVP to be skill based and have lower stat people dunking on worse players more akin to world 11/12/early 13, you should FORCE b12 red/blue(without oak stance, and maybe faster IP gen lol) to be meta because it's the only deck in the current system that gets close to achieving this.

On the other hand, if you want a swarm of 30 shitter retards or high stat low skill bois(more common than competent PVPers by far) to be "relevant" you should continue down the path of making braindead moves like SOS meta (this is because of the sword buff from world 13 that all competitive players hate btw), and remove movement based skill expression where possible. It's not personally what I want, but if it's the direction you guys wanna take things take it.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:31 am

tl;dr: SOS is easy to play, cleave is hard. SOS is just have your team use SOS at the same time, don't even need to focus a target. Cleave requires some people to create openings, some people to use op knocks, and some people to cleave. The time-window to cleave is very small, and your team has to coordinate which person you're attacking.

They're both somewhat similar in power-level, though SOS gets stronger the bigger the group sizes.
DDDsDD999

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:22 am

I personally think it's cute that a bunch of newbs got together and beat you all with Storm of Swords, which almost no PvPers run because it isn't meta, and the response is for three factions to unite and yell, "Muuuhhhh we would have won but not enough skill expression."
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Harunobu » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:26 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:RE: PVP changes

I'm gonna try to be as OBJECTIVE as possible...

Maybe if you had more friends, you wouldn't have gotten your ass kicked by low skill ceiling noobs using B12 axes and storm of swords.
Harunobu

Postby donbot » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:27 am

tfw you beat chess by using moves from checkers and its easy and convenient so you feel inclined to stick to your opinion cause you cant play chess at all

the biggest pussies from previous pvp meta are now able to deal some damage before running into a safepali which is alright cause thats the brainless meta rn but that doesnt change the fact that youre still the biggest pussy

its kinda objective

also i understand that the running meme is that someone got beaten (take meds) but that is incorrect tbh, unless youre talking about shitters like solis or austin getting KOd (love u guys anyway)

TLDR. cleave meta was better
Last edited by donbot on Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
What amazes me more than how light the punishment was, is how nothing was done about it ingame. I'm actually starting to think people are frightened that you'll do it again, so to protect the server, they work with you instead of going against you, all in the hopes that you will leave the server alone.
donbot
Under curfew

Postby dafels » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:34 am

What "skill" are you on about when you're talking about forager/bunny slippers, it seems mostly just to be a client feature to be able to right click a critter as quick as possible and it is a good thing they get rid of this bs. I agree there should be a way to clip the opponent as in older worlds. There was a time when no matter how good your stats were you could be taken down by just someone who was more skilled in movement and not some properitary shit like having forager credo/ bunny slippers in inv&client features
Last edited by dafels on Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
dafels

Postby TheServant » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:34 am

donbot wrote:tfw you beat chess by using moves from checkers and its easy and convenient so you feel inclined to stick to your opinion cause you cant play chess at all

the biggest pussies from previous pvp meta are now able to deal some damage before running into a safepali which is alright cause thats the brainless meta rn but that doesnt change the fact that youre still the biggest pussy

its kinda objective

also i understand that the running meme is that someone got beaten (take meds) but that is incorrect tbh, unless youre talking about shitters like solis or austin getting KOd (love u guys anyway)

TLDR. cleave meta was better

Low quality post do better next time im disappointed
Aristotle wrote:Therefore it is fitting for the women to be married at about the age of eighteen and the men at thirty-seven or a little before — for that will give long enough for the union to take place with their bodily vigor at its prime, and for it to arrive with a convenient coincidence of dates at the time when procreation ceases.
TheServant

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements