Game Development: Buzzcut Board

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Buzzcut Board

Postby jorb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:05 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Sawmill", a mechanically powered machine (i.e. built in wind- or watermills) which automatically transforms logs into boards at a rate of exchange slightly better than that provided by a metal saw.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Added some new animation mechanics to support the Sawmill. (The sawmill will crash clients that have not merged these changes.)
  • Updated various internal client interfaces for forward compatibility with some upcoming changes. It would be nice if custom clients merged these.
  • Made the mesh resource format significantly more space-efficient (though this new format won't be used until custom clients have had a chance to merge it).
  • Added server-side support for various other resource formats that have been in the client for long enough to hopefully be merged into custom clients.
  • Reformed a large number of resources for better forward compatibility with some future changes. I hope this won't affect custom clients too badly, but I also don't think it will.
  • Fixed a bug with instancing the tree wind effect which should significantly improve performance with many trees on-screen.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Remedied the way in which some objects, such as hearthfires, would always animate in-sync with each other.
  • Fixed the jerking that some sprites, such as windmills, would do when first showing up (or previewing for materials).
  • Fixed a bug where placing some objects, such as trees from treeplanter's pots, would sometimes not show up properly.
  • Probably fixed the bug where the climbing animation would not actually play while climbing. Could not reproduce reliably, so not entirely sure if fixed. Please report if it still happens.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Items, for the fair price of $9, is the "Buzzcut Bowler".

Store Description wrote:Image$9 This practical contraption of equal parts fashion and convenience provides its wearer always with a stylish cut.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Buzzcut Bowler", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • Our primary development direction is toward object-controlled-objects.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Buzzcut Board

Postby Stoltz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:06 pm

patchma pog :shock:
Stoltz

Postby Oddity » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:08 pm

The rise of the machines has come to Hafen?
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby MDDrozD » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:08 pm

What bout q of those boards?
MDDrozD

Postby springyb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:09 pm

I think it's really cool that the last two patches have come directly from ideas pitched on stream.
springyb

Postby trinh » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:09 pm

nice one, more QoL stuff :D
trinh

Postby Ejnekor » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 pm

More boards than just with metal saw or more boards than metal saw + credo bonus?
Ejnekor

Postby abt79 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 pm

and yet watermills can still block rivers quite permanently?
abt79

Postby Semja » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 pm

The watermill has stonewalls inside?! ♥v♥
Semja

Postby Jaggens » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 pm

Thanks, treeplanting garbage logs are a menace, finally a good use for windmill, 10/10 patch.
Jaggens

Next

Return to Announcements