OS Requirements / Game Performance.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time..

OS Requirements / Game Performance.

Postby Gh0stw0lf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Hello all.

I tried to use the search bar for this previous topic because it seemed to me that it would be more widely posted. Alas, I was not able to find it so I turn to the forums in hopes of some help.

I play H&H on two computers. I will list their specs in a moment but the major problem is although the two computers have similar computer specifications and power, one runs H&H Perfectly, no lag or malfunctions etc. The other on, contrastingly, runs H&H and a mind-blowing 2 FPS. I noticed in the FAQ on the main page that the Devs have seemingly had mixed responses with "Higher up" machines and how they perform with H&H varies but anyways here are the specs.

Computer 1:
Sony Vaio Laptop E Series
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM: 4.00 GB (3.74 Usable)
System Type : 64-bit Operating System

Computer 2
HP Slimline s3223w Desktop PC
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+ 2.3 GHz
Installed RAM: 4.00 GB
System Type: ?? Since I'm at work, I can't readily check my system type I believe its 32 bit Windows 7 because I just recently upgraded from WIndows Vista 32 bit. Although i'm not 100% sure.

If anybody needs more information in helping me figure out why Computer 2 runs so God awful slow, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Gh0stw0lf

Re: OS Requirements / Game Performance.

Postby zacty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:47 pm

i dont know much about system requirements, although i do know that internet connections can be a prob.
are the two comps running from the same router? cause if so, this was a completely useless reply,
i really need to find a good signature
zacty

Postby Gh0stw0lf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:19 pm

zacty wrote:i dont know much about system requirements, although i do know that internet connections can be a prob.
are the two comps running from the same router? cause if so, this was a completely useless reply,

On topic:

The internet connection wouldn't affect FPS and the two computers have run on the same internet connection and Computer 2 always sucks ass. Like I said, its most likely a hardware problem than an internet connection problem.
Gh0stw0lf

Postby Sharie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Gh0stw0lf wrote:Hello all.

I tried to use the search bar for this previous topic because it seemed to me that it would be more widely posted. Alas, I was not able to find it so I turn to the forums in hopes of some help.

Look, I'm running h&h on a single core cpu here, and with half the ram you have: it most certainly isn't an hardware issue.

Either there is some software interfearing with the game ( maybe running in background? ), either directly ( security software? ) or indirectly ( something else is keeping the cpu busy ) OR there is some problem with your workplace's internet connection ( a shared connection? someone else might be using is ), also many offices ( no idea where you work ) take precautions to make sure people don't slack off at work.

You might want to try some general troubleshotting first, like re-installing the game and Java.

EDIT:
Sorry tought PC 2 was at work, anyway all the rest I said applyes.
Sharie

Postby Gh0stw0lf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Sharie wrote:
Look, I'm running h&h on a single core cpu here, and with half the ram you have: it most certainly isn't an hardware issue.

Either there is some software interfearing with the game ( maybe running in background? ), either directly ( security software? ) or indirectly ( something else is keeping the cpu busy ) OR there is some problem with your workplace's internet connection ( a shared connection? someone else might be using is ), also many offices ( no idea where you work ) take precautions to make sure people don't slack off at work.

You might want to try some general troubleshotting first, like re-installing the game and Java.

I understand what you're saying but here's the catch. The crappy internet connection is at work, which I have my laptop to play on. The 'good' internet connection is at my house where Computer 2 (The Slimline desktop) is located at where I get 12 mb/s downloads. So this is how I know it ISN'T an internet connection issue. As far as uninstalling, reinstalling Java I've already tried that including using the Default H&H client located at the main page to using Gilbertus and Pacho's. The FPS quality stays crappy on Computer 2 (Slimline desktop).
What are the system requirements?
To be honest, we are not quite sure. While testing, we have experienced strange effects, such as seemingly low-level computers handling the game far better than seemingly high-level computers. Since we do not know where the performance bottleneck lies, we cannot currently answer this question.

This is what is stated in the PAQ so I'm leaning towards the fact that Loftar & Jorb have encountered this problem as well.

EIther way, I will be running some more trouble shooting when I leave work and get to my PC at home.
Gh0stw0lf

Postby Sharie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:53 pm

What about the software then?

Try checking the task manager, sort the process list by cpu usage and look at it for a while, keeping an eye open for strange activities ( an idle pc shouldn't use up more than 5-10% of the cpu, 20% tops ).
Also keep an eye on memory usage.
Maybe post a screenshot of it.

Do this while the pc is idle and again while the game is running.
You might also want to try change the game's priority ( via task manager, right click on process name, which is java.exe usually, at least on WinXp ) to an higher setting ( it might get your pc stuck, tho ).
Sharie

Postby Gh0stw0lf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:04 am

Sharie wrote:What about the software then?

Try checking the task manager, sort the process list by cpu usage and look at it for a while, keeping an eye open for strange activities ( an idle pc shouldn't use up more than 5-10% of the cpu, 20% tops ).
Also keep an eye on memory usage.
Maybe post a screenshot of it.

Do this while the pc is idle and again while the game is running.
You might also want to try change the game's priority ( via task manager, right click on process name, which is java.exe usually, at least on WinXp ) to an higher setting ( it might get your pc stuck, tho ).

Good idea, Software was my next bet & in the next half-hour or so I will be posting screenshots.

Thanks. :D
The priority settings in WinXP and Win7 are the same. Just an FYI if anybody is reading this other than Sharie and I.
Gh0stw0lf

Postby sabinati » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 am

the first things i would check would be video settings and video drivers
sabinati

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:39 am

sabinati wrote:the first things i would check would be video settings and video drivers

This. ^

More likely than not, you're just lacking a reasonable video driver. The default driver for nVidia cards that comes with Windows 7, in particular, sucks especially hard. Try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's home page. Note that the latest drivers from nVidia seem to have some bug making them crash; if that happens to you, please see this thread.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby thewolf5674 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 am

Just a note on this system requirement post. This is my pc, And yess its a dinosaur but it works :D
Intel Celeron 1.3ghz single core
512mb ddr ram
ATI Radeon 9250 Video card (256mb, Pci card not AGP or pci-e)
and a creative sound labs sound card.
I run ender client and i only lag a little bit when zoomed out all the way or in the marshy areas
not the swamp but swampy like with way more folage.
Last edited by thewolf5674 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
thewolf5674

Next

Return to Bugs