Question for people who don't like permadeath

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Question for people who don't like permadeath

Postby avros008 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 am

If you dont want permadeath, you have micro pp.
dafels wrote:the midges are not the problem,
you're the problem
avros008

Postby pawnchito » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

avros008 wrote:If you dont want permadeath, you have micro pp.

Hey now people can agree with permadeath and have a micro pp.
pawnchito

Postby NeoBasilisk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm

World reset is generally a very exciting time. You can see this by the massive spike in players. Everyone wants to see the new features and the new map. Exploring a brand new world is fun.

There's not much fun about getting killed by 3 random guys you've never seen before when you just wanted to get some water from a well. You go back to doing whatever you were doing before except now your stats are fucked.
NeoBasilisk

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 am

NeoBasilisk wrote:There's not much fun about getting killed by 3 random guys you've never seen before when you just wanted to get some water from a well. You go back to doing whatever you were doing before except now your stats are fucked.

Never happened to me. I know it has to some, but it's not a universal experience.

Have died in PvP combat I was hopelessly outmatched, and I had little problem with recovering, even back in the day when, if you got caught with your pants down, you got like 10% of your stats back. I planned for the eventually and banked up LP (no, not a LP bank claim, just saved up what I didn't need instead spending on more skills). The attributes were a bit harder, but I was able to keep what industry I had, so recovery time was less. Again, i know it's not everyone's experience, but smart play, and the modern means of recovery such as funerals and ancestral worship, really take the edge off the "permadeath."
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby LadyV » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 am

I don't think it is so much about world resets as it is the wide range of play styles. I see it as a survival game with war aspects. Others see it as a pvp fest. It is those essential mindsets that clash. You have builders, artists, survivalists, warriors and yes raiders. The styles don't always mesh and there is the point of conflict.
LadyV

Postby Lyrroth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

death is alright and cool if its my fuck up. its totally not cool if im being chased by some big cucko who will rape my ass and i cant do anything to prevent it with exception of knowing how to lie so if he hits i survive. escaping seems pointless with how many scripts and bots raiders usually have to bypass micromanaging like coracles boats and stuff and im losing time on that.
Lyrroth

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 pm

LadyV wrote:I don't think it is so much about world resets as it is the wide range of play styles. I see it as a survival game with war aspects. Others see it as a pvp fest. It is those essential mindsets that clash. You have builders, artists, survivalists, warriors and yes raiders. The styles don't always mesh and there is the point of conflict.

this is very true. everyone has an idea of what the game should be like and a lot of these ideas clash with each other.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby dafels » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:24 am

wonder-ass wrote:
LadyV wrote:I don't think it is so much about world resets as it is the wide range of play styles. I see it as a survival game with war aspects. Others see it as a pvp fest. It is those essential mindsets that clash. You have builders, artists, survivalists, warriors and yes raiders. The styles don't always mesh and there is the point of conflict.

this is very true. everyone has an idea of what the game should be like and a lot of these ideas clash with each other.

That's why the devs should stop trying to please everyone and should formulate what type of players the game should please, because when they do try to please everyone(it seems like most of the big changes are trying to please everyone, like, permadeath,KO changes, siege, etc...) they are failing at it and I think it is worse for the game when they are trying to find middle ground for everything and the middle ground oftenly is not fun for anyone. It seems they are lacking a vision of what the game should really be like. I would personally like if the game was more about raiding/combat/sieging/competitiviness and the game making me feel that you are vulnerable and at the mercy of gods, but there are other players that just want to farm and build villages safely and trying to find balance between these 2 playstyles will never result at anything, because none of the 2 sides won't find the game truly fun when they are trying to please everyone.

For me it seems that they did have a vision in legacy and the game was more well defined. The permadeath game was really a permadeath game.
I think the lack of vision for the devs is keeping the game from excelling. Choose one vision to excel at instead of not excelling at anything and I think they will achieve greater results than they have achieved so far.
dafels

Postby VDZ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 pm

dafels wrote:That's why the devs should stop trying to please everyone and should formulate what type of players the game should please, because when they do try to please everyone(it seems like most of the big changes are trying to please everyone, like, permadeath,KO changes, siege, etc...) they are failing at it and I think it is worse for the game when they are trying to find middle ground for everything and the middle ground oftenly is not fun for anyone. It seems they are lacking a vision of what the game should really be like. I would personally like if the game was more about raiding/combat/sieging/competitiviness and the game making me feel that you are vulnerable and at the mercy of gods, but there are other players that just want to farm and build villages safely and trying to find balance between these 2 playstyles will never result at anything, because none of the 2 sides won't find the game truly fun when they are trying to please everyone.

For me it seems that they did have a vision in legacy and the game was more well defined. The permadeath game was really a permadeath game.
I think the lack of vision for the devs is keeping the game from excelling. Choose one vision to excel at instead of not excelling at anything and I think they will achieve greater results than they have achieved so far.

The developers posted their vision on PvP 4.5 years ago (probably the most linked to post on the forum right now?). PvP exists as a means to resolve conflicts between players. Raiding just for fun has always been a side effect and is, as far as I'm aware, not a focus of the game. I don't think the problem is developers lacking a vision, but rather that their vision - which (again, to my knowledge) does not involve ganking people or even proper inter-faction PvP as a major component - clashes with what a lot of active (and vocal) players would like to see. They are, however, trying to please that playerbase nonetheless, likely due to them being vocal with their complaints.

dafels wrote:For me it seems that they did have a vision in legacy and the game was more well defined.

You mean back when they barely touched the game for 4.5 years straight, and thus could not steer the naturally emergent gameplay that resulted from the systems that happened to be in place when the devs pretty much left to work on Salem?
VDZ

Postby borka » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:12 pm

@dafels
There still could be combat zones and non combat zones ... especially with continents ... giving all playstyles room ... i'am known to be the opposite of your playstyle and voice it but it doesn't mean i don't have much respect for you and your playstyle ... i like how the game evolves and how the devs experiment with possibilities ... and as a long term project i have hopes that it goes a way that suit most of us all ... (wannabegods excluded)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar