HnH Needs Adjustment to Wipe Frequency or Progression

General discussion and socializing.

Re: HnH Needs Adjustment to Wipe Frequency or Progression

Postby harryw » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:46 am

6 Month wipes. Set the dates and follow through.

Make a global leaderboard for every stat and every skill that can be viewed by everyone, maybe update once a day to save bandwidth. A cosmetic reward for some categories in the next world, a permanent hall of fame, and so on. Punish the grinders, Bennett Foddy style.

If some of the pvpers quit, wow, you will expand your income exponentially. Not to mention, all the money comes at reset with the returning players and re-subs and so on. How the fuck did we let Valheim and V Rising and Palworld (for fucks sake) blow the goddamn doors off this game? Could have been rich man, but we still think we are gonna wake up in '99 and log into Ultima Online.

Quicker world iteration will allow more drastic changes to be implemented with lower risk. A 6 month world without hunger, a 6 month world without oceans, a 6 month world with random spawns. You could explore more of the design space without feeling hemmed in by the "persistent" world and the need to hold on. Let go or get dragged.

Game is beautiful and I would love to interact with it more regularly. It is a mistake to plan for the players to devote themselves to it forever. This isn't a true love story, it is the turning of the seasons (fuck winter btw).
harryw

Postby roskuwacz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 am

harryw wrote:6 Month wipes. Set the dates and follow through.
Game is beautiful and I would love to interact with it more regularly. It is a mistake to plan for the players to devote themselves to it forever. This isn't a true love story, it is the turning of the seasons (fuck winter btw).

I could not disagree more. Villages/Markets require big amount of work and time in terms of progression (getting the first steel etc) so you image that people would nolife for 2 months to create one just to have it living for 4 more months where 2 months before wipe (if that would be scheduled) every player will just wait for the new world?

"Quick iteration part" to do that first you need to have an idea/content/change to provide. Now we see none, seems devs just got burned out, even Loftar have time (want to?) play with Salem (with the new world that started few months ago).
Haven is in eternal Alpha state, they even increased the base water quality to 200+ so why any change is blocked because of "wipe"? Only thing I can image of is map generation but is there a problem with it?

In terms of PvP/Look and Feel the change that could make more people participate was rolled backed (speed from boots/credo) and still we have murderous rage which is clearing out the population of newbies :D

Yet I am for the global leaderboard but with the hats with numbers(like W15) (like top lp hat or whatever), so we could have hats per attributes/lp and the only change would be the world number (so we will not force Jorb to make the new set of hats every world).
Global leaderboard could be checked at the thingwalls, updated every in game day and you can check names of top 3 and your position. If you are getting the first place then the hats vanishes from the old 1st player and land in your hearth fire with system notification.

If we want more players to "enjoy" game I bet the first thing is to make them install it? Look at topic like that -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75794. This person cares that much to create a forum topic how many others just do not bother?
If devs force players to first find the specific version of Java and before that google what Java is. Ignore the system message that this could be the virus to just check game. I bet we as a player base we could be loosing lot of newbies that did not manage to lunch game. As far as I know Haven could have an installer shipped with the java like -> https://www.ej-technologies.com/product ... rview.html
All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. - Winston Churchill
roskuwacz

Postby Dawidio123 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:41 am

roskuwacz wrote:I could not disagree more. Villages/Markets require big amount of work and time in terms of progression (getting the first steel etc) so you image that people would nolife for 2 months to create one just to have it living for 4 more months where 2 months before wipe (if that would be scheduled) every player will just wait for the new world?

This post epitomizes the narrow-minded perspective of someone driven solely by the accumulation of tokens, with little regard for the intrinsic value of the gaming experience. It's like you're completely missing the essence of gaming – it's not just about tokens; it's about the experience and the community.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby roskuwacz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:16 pm

who cares about tokens/hats. Those are useless as same as flexing with killing newbies who did not even lower their openings
All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. - Winston Churchill
roskuwacz

Postby Dawidio123 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

roskuwacz wrote:who cares about tokens/hats. Those are useless as same as flexing with killing newbies who did not even lower their openings

Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dawidio123

Postby jock » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

roskuwacz wrote:who cares about tokens/hats. Those are useless as same as flexing with killing newbies who did not even lower their openings

We kinda all do. They fund the game.
jock

Postby dafels » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 pm

roskuwacz wrote:who cares about tokens/hats.

The less tokens/subs people are buying - less updates and patches. Shit thread anyway.
dafels

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 pm

dafels wrote:The less tokens/subs people are buying - less updates and patches. Shit thread anyway.

Rosku didn't mean that they were bad for the devs or the health of the game, just that he has no personal motivation to amass them.

I'm curious, what would you do to address either the game's population or longevity, if anything? Do you think it's even an issue worth addressing?
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby DonVelD » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:22 pm

i'd add blackjack and hookers
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby Faravidus » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm

I'll say it again ... A system that allows the players themselves to bring about the end of the current game world is the way forward for a future potential spiritual successor to Haven & Hearth. Travian does this, just read up on the "World Wonder" in that game to get an idea of what I mean. Such a system would completely transcend any debate on how long a game world ought to be, because it would be up to the players themselves to cause the end (and beginning of a new world).

Other than that, Robben is clearly projecting here, as others have pointed out. Not everyone is playing the smash hit video game Haven & Hearth on the level of an old school Everquest poopsocker. For many players (myself included) the chief attraction of the game is not high level PvP (although that is cool), it is not even to make progress in the context of the games industry or character progression, but the main attraction is rather the amazing little moments and chance encounters with people whose friendship I've come to treasure more than anything in the whole world.
Playing since W4 ~ faravid88 on Discord ~ https://steamcommunity.com/id/faravid88
Faravidus

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar