Truly at a loss

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Truly at a loss

Postby MightySheep » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:58 am

you learned the hard way to not go afk in an unsafe place, its a rite of passage
MightySheep

Postby VDZ » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:55 am

loleznub wrote:Not being there to teleport back to hearthfire if not in deep water is what got him (from them KO'ing multiple times)

Doesn't happen anymore, on KO you get a list of three options to perform on waking up, and 'hearth home' is selected by default. You need to specifically take action to prevent hearthing home now.
VDZ

Postby fallout » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:32 am

Afk near the base with keys, knocked and looted. Bloke walked in with his master key and hf camped him
fallout

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:56 pm

You can inherit a portion of your stats to not loose SO much and if you do You'll start on your old HF and have your stuff still if its claimed or protected by a lento you'll automatically own it. I think you DO have to reclaim your desk if you have one.

But hey don't feel too bad, our group has been having a ROUGH time! Base raided and all our HFF were smashed. We manage to meet up again, gonna boat to a vortex someone scouted ahead of time... and wouldn't you know it, we come across two folks who want our boats more than we do and knocked us out for them. THANKFULLY they didn't drown us XD but yeah this world is been pretty brutal and I don't entirely hate it.
Tubby_Squirrel

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:58 pm

Tubby_Squirrel wrote:You can inherit a portion of your stats to not loose SO much and if you do You'll start on your old HF and have your stuff still if its claimed or protected by a lento you'll automatically own it. I think you DO have to reclaim your desk if you have one.

But hey don't feel too bad, our group has been having a ROUGH time! Base raided and all our HFF were smashed. We manage to meet up again, gonna boat to a vortex someone scouted ahead of time... and wouldn't you know it, we come across two folks who want our boats more than we do and knocked us out for them. THANKFULLY they didn't drown us XD but yeah this world is been pretty brutal and I don't entirely hate it.

Beatings will continue until you change your atrocious avatar
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby overtyped » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:05 am

MoonShioss wrote:This game is super fun. I enjoyed it a lot. This whole first week of a new world was exciting, scary, and well, fun. But the game's a bit unforgiving... I just happened to look away for a few minutes today to do a chore and came back to a death screen, with my body in someone's (extremely) massive village fortress. Obviously after going through all the stages of grief, I realized what do they even gain from murdering me? Some clothes and a couple of small study items? Meanwhile, I don't merely lose a few clothes and study items but 90% of the last 100 hours I spent, as well as all the clothes, items, buildings, and every study item I've finished studying. I lost everything ( and 450k LP) in a single moment, and they gained less than an hour's worth of work. This is literally unbalanced.

No offense Jorb and loftar to your guys' respectable view on PvP, but it's not like nothing can be done to curb this. Karma can exist, where everyone in the world receives a buff that decreases the more crime you commit (almost like your FEP/hunger system but with crime instead). OR how about instead of getting my corpse locked into a cellar with dozens of other corpses for decades, why not let them return to hearthfire after some time or something to be buried. You could create pre-made factions that players can choose from at the beginning of the game (in the wizard's area) so that even if a player wants to play alone it doesn't mean all strangers are the enemy. I don't know I'm sure there's tons of holes in these suggestions, but there are surely things that can be done to improve the just absolute loss people feel when their character they've invested every waking hour into dies whether to legitimate PvP or just a single moment of carelessness that is capitalized upon by some random (at least if an animal kills me I can still bury my body and skull).

Anyways, thanks for the game it was definitely worth the money I put into it.

There is a reason bad people go after hermits like you, and it's because you don't know how combat works, and you don't log out when you go afk. I have scents, so I can't even logout in the open world when i need to brb, I'm forced to hearth to my palisade to be safe, so what's your excuse?

What the raiders did to you is set your blue and red defenses as high as they can go with op knocks, then kill you in one hit. This is why competent pvpers never die, unless they make a really retarded mistake, they don't let that happen in the first place.

Here's what you need to do to prevent this from happening right now. Go to valhalla with one of your friends, learn the basics of combat there until you are at least minimally comfortable with how to defend yourself and drink while running, then inherit your old character and respawn. Then, make your priority to gain at least 20 points in MC, put on a shield + add shield up and your defenses on your combat bar, and now you are in a very good position to survive anything.

Always remember, if you know you are outnumbered, and know you can't escape, then focus on not being surrounded while you kite away and defend. Do not let your openings get high enough to be one tapped, and make sure you have your drink key bound to anything except 1-5. If you are not running while drinking, you will be surrounded, and you will die. That's the basics of the basics.

PS: Make sure you are palisaded, and hearth when ko'd. If you are ko'd near your hearth, and they are inside, then your only alternative then is to logout once you are downed. Never alt f4 a combat encounter, that's a 100% death rate.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Aerona » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:58 pm

overtyped wrote:There is a reason bad people go after hermits like you, and it's because you don't know how combat works, and you don't log out when you go afk.
That's not a reason. It's not even an excuse, it's just an opportunity.

I don't think you read what you were quoting... What happened was the player was AFK for a few minutes and came back to the death screen. It's downright stupid to call that 'retarded', or even 'a mistake'. In this case it was to do chores, but there's a million reasons this could happen that the player could have no control over. Emergencies, disconnections, and more. No amount of player skill will help when the player isn't there to use it, and imbalance in stats just compounds the problem.

A feature that automatically logs out a player if they're idle might work. I believe I've encountered bots that are designed to teleport instantly whenever a player appears on their minimap. Options like these would help avoid this kind of situation, but otherwise it's entirely on the side of the griefers.

In any case, I have the opposite suggestion: The solution would never be to invest even more time and energy into trying to reduce the chance of dying, because it'll still happen and that'll just make it worse. Rather, the wise thing to do is not to put any effort into the game that you wouldn't be happy putting in if the next day the server went down for good, hackers forced a world reset, griefers covered the entire map with lava, or whatever. MoonShioss says the game was fun despite what happened, so it sounds like they know what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, the game does allow players to grind for endless advancement, and a lot of players do just that, which sets them up for a fall and inspires those who seek negative social potency to devote all their time and energy to making that happen while taking advantage of the mechanics to reduce their own risk of humiliation. That's what these suggestions are meant to remedy. Though I don't agree with them, I'd rather just see those who commit heinous crimes for trivial reasons face the consequences of their actions. Ideally not by being beaten at their own game with high-strung dirty fighting, but through being beaten at a game they don't even understand how to play. That'd be the perfect turnabout.
Aerona

Postby widelec_szatana » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:06 pm

I don't think you read what you were quoting... What happened was the player was AFK for a few minutes and came back to the death screen. It's downright stupid to call that 'retarded', or even 'a mistake'. In this case it was to do chores, but there's a million reasons this could happen that the player could have no control over. Emergencies, disconnections, and more. No amount of player skill will help when the player isn't there to use it, and imbalance in stats just compounds the problem.

It takes maybe 1 sec to click logout and then go do whatever you need, hell you can even close the client and you'll get logged out after short while.
Unless you were redhanded\outlawed.
widelec_szatana

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:26 pm

Aerona wrote:hopelessly retarded thinskinned blathering

If you die because you go afk, you earned it. It's that simple. It's a dumb mistake, and the correct response is to say "Well, guess I won't do that again."
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby springyb » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:01 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:I always love these I played for a week here are my hot opinions threads

Maybe hearing it from a new player perspective will highlight how dumb key mechanics are. I think almost everyone who actively posts here has asked for gates to work with permissions to avoid having to learn this the life ruining way.
springyb

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar