How is the map generation going?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: hey loftar, answer us you coward!

Postby overtyped » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 pm

jorb wrote:Hey, overtyped, title your threads better.

You are not a true deity. Dole only obeys loftar.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: How is the map generation going?

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:38 am

loftar wrote:
overtyped wrote:hey loftar, answer us you coward!

I'm sure you can see that, even in the event that we were planning to reset the map tomorrow, I couldn't very well let a word slip to suggest such a thing. Even mentioning that I was so much as looking at the mapgen code would probably make people flip out. :)

So yeah, I could have said the exact same thing even if we weren't planning for a reset, and yet people have revealed in the announcement thread that this statement alone made the suspect things. :)

Anyway, now that the cat is out of the proverbial bag, here is a little sample of how the generated river systems currently look, scaled out to a level of 5 tiles/pixel.

My main source of doubt right now as that there may be a case to be made to try and avoid "islands" a bit more. I could perhaps do this by trying to detect river loops and avoid generating them. It could also possibly be done by generating more fords (there are actually quite many fords as it is; it's just a bit difficult to see at the 5 t/p scale). It may also be completely unnecessary and that it's fine as it is. Not entirely sure.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby boshaw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:45 am

loftar wrote:My main source of doubt right now as that there may be a case to be made to try and avoid "islands" a bit more. I could perhaps do this by trying to detect river loops and avoid generating them. It could also possibly be done by generating more fords (there are actually quite many fords as it is; it's just a bit difficult to see at the 5 t/p scale). It may also be completely unnecessary and that it's fine as it is. Not entirely sure.

What's wrong with islands? I think building on islands is pretty cool, and you already made it clear that if they can't be rammed they would be nuked in previous worlds. If it has to do with bigger future siege gear, then why not make a way to transport via river or some warship like boat?
boshaw

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am

boshaw wrote:What's wrong with islands? I think building on islands is pretty cool, and you already made it clear that if they can't be rammed they would be nuked in previous worlds. If it has to do with bigger future siege gear, then why not make a way to transport via river or some warship like boat?

Well, it can be a bit harsh to spawn on an island with a fresh character with no way to get off it. :)
loftar

Postby boshaw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 am

loftar wrote:
boshaw wrote:What's wrong with islands? I think building on islands is pretty cool, and you already made it clear that if they can't be rammed they would be nuked in previous worlds. If it has to do with bigger future siege gear, then why not make a way to transport via river or some warship like boat?

Well, it can be a bit harsh to spawn on an island with a fresh character with no way to get off it. :)

Oh, yeah that would suck. I felt like this world's map gen always made islands with shallows connected to them so you could walk to main land and get animals, etc. Would that be possible to work in again rather than eliminate all islands?
boshaw

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:53 am

loftar wrote:

So bridges are confirmed.
DDDsDD999

Postby bmjclark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 am

loftar wrote:

Will cave lakes return? :)
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby loftar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:32 am

bmjclark wrote:Will cave lakes return? :)

That is the intention. I haven't added them yet, though.
loftar

Postby Redlaw » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:39 am

Can we get salt flats, seas, and mine salt? I think it be an added good option for food and so forth.
Redlaw

Postby abt79 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:40 am

Redlaw wrote:Can we get salt flats, seas, and mine salt? I think it be an added good option for food and so forth.

I still want seas for whaling, massive whaling ships that function like mobile greathalls and allow for week-long whaling voyages with awesome rewards (ie oil) would be gr8.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
abt79

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar